Strictly For Scoutmasters Article In Scouting Mag.

I have just read an article in the March/April edition of Scouting about the training conference at Philmont for Scoutmasters. I have never taken that training and was happy to read about it.

I found it to be very enlightening and thought provoking, it defines the role of the Scoutmaster in ways that I never gave a lot of thought too.

If you get the chance to read it I would love to hear your thoughts. I am still in awe of the ideas that are mentioned and will offer my two cents later.

Eamonn

I just got this issue yesterday, and I glanced through this article. The training review was so positive that I wanted to head for Philmont for that training...and I'm not even a SM :)

Yes I read the article and with great interest because I just received approval to take the class the day after the magazine arrived!

No real surprises to me in the article. SM Ron, one does not just sign up for the course. One needs to be recommended to take the course by your professional team. You may request that they give you a recommendation to take the class (it may put them on the spot however).

Keep the flame burning!

From the article: Only adults registered as unit Scoutmasters should attend this conference. Participants must have local council approval. For more information, contact your local Scout council service center or the Philmont Training Center, Cimarron, NM 87714, phone (505) 376-2281, fax (505) 376-2629, e-mail trainingcenter@philmontscoutranch.org.

P.S. The article is available on-line too!

http://scoutingmagazine.org/

Click on current issue (March-April 2004)

Click on Strictly for Scoutmasters

I'm signed up to attend the August 15-21 course. If anyone else is attending, let me know.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Yes you may.

I'm going from memory so I may be off somewhat:

Course (Strictly for SMs) about $345

Spouse Program: $250

Son #1 Program $200

Son #2 Program $200

Daughter $200

Transportation (airfare): ????

Bus fare or rental car: ????

Course $345

Spouse Program: $250

Son #1 Program $200

Son #2 Program $200

Daughter $200

Transportation (airfare): $800

Bus fare or rental car: $250

Training at Philmont with family PRICELESS!

• 2 weeks later...

My council recommended me and we are going for the June 27 session. Both Scout sons 12 and 14 are signed up for the activities. It looks like a great program.

BTW Acco: We are going to fly out and right now Southwest Airlines has some great deals on airfare.