Life Scout On The Move

This thread was spun from another thread.There are times when walking the walk is a lot harder then just talking the talk.

For many years I have said that the rank of Eagle Scout is a goal that a Scout needs to set for himself and work toward. I do think that we old people need to be on hand to encourage and support. This is all well and good when I'm talking about Scouts in general but it is hard when it is my son. OJ is a very active Scout who really enjoys Scouting. He is the SPL of his troop, a vice chief in the lodge and an officer in the crew. Not bad for a kid who won't be 16 till July? He became a Life Scout almost two years ago and is good at the Scout type stuff camping, cooking rope tying and that sort of thing. He couldn't wait to join a troop and has never missed a camp out camporee or summer camp. He has all the required merit badges needed for Eagle Scout rank and his project has been approved but then nothing.

He is a great kid. A kid that goes out of his way to please others even his parents!! He and I have a wonderful relationship. He is very independent and at times a little head strong but has a way of looking at things from every angle and making a good argument and will admit when he is wrong or out of order.

While I was a little disappointed when the work toward Eagle wasn't happening I decided that if he was going to do it He would do it on his terms and when he was ready. If he didn't do it that would be his choice. After all it would be his Eagle. So I didn't nag or ride him about it. I did answer any questions that came up and kind of left it like that.

The project is to build a flower bed that elderly people can use from wheel chairs or without having to stoop or bend. He has ran into some problems with material as he found out that treated lumber isn't good for the plants and he wants to use stone. He has found a local tomb stone maker to help him with the design and now tells me that he wants to have it ready for the old folks to do spring planting. He also informs his mother and I that he wants to have his Eagle Court of Honor in October. He has a list of over 150 people that he wants to invite not including the troop members. It has people from four countries as well as the local folk on it. In the other thread someone said it was like planning a wedding - They were right.

As yet he hasn't informed me if I have a part in this. Not that it matters I will be happy to just be the proud Dad. It is his Eagle but he is my son. Even if he never makes Eagle Scout I will love him and know that he is a great kid who is in no small part due to Scouting going to be a great adult.

Eamonn

Eamonn, that is wonderful news! I am so glad to hear that he is planning out a project and setting goals for Eagle. What a good dad you are to wait it out and give him the chance to set this goal, and you've done something right when he's such an accomplished young man already :)