Help with Boy interested in being Eagle but not doing the requirements.

In my council the Eagle BOR expects to see at minimum 100 hours of actual work in the Eagle Project with at least 30 more hours specifically devoted to planning by the Scout. This is not 130 hours of wishing and whining and talking about becoming an Eagle but actual hours worked by the troop under the management of the Scout. Also the Eagle BOR requires that all the Blue Card stubs be attached to the Eagle application papers. Your Life Scout has no Blue Cards, and saying he had them doesn't mean anything. It sounds to me like he probably did not actually earn his way to Life Scout either. Getting troop transfer paperwork isn't difficult and loosing all record of his past achievements is just too suspicious. The rank of Eagle is characterized by the "giving back" of service by the boy to his troop and community, and just because the boy wants to be one of the 2% who can do that doesn't amount to anything unless he does the work. Don't be prey to his manipulations.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob White is right about the methods of Scouting being the way a SM puts together a Scouting program.

My use of the Methods and the Aims of Scouting was a poor man's attempt of determining what program that this young man was exposed to and is a product of before coming to Troop 65.

Thanks Bob White for your insight and knowledge. I need all of the help I can get to keep me on track.

FB

At what point will the scout be allowed to earn or not earn the Eagle rank based on his own efforts, and his own decisions?

I think based on his efforts & decisions the Scout himself has determined his own path. His efforts (as posted) are minimal & his decisions (as posted) are poor.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Excellent point KA6BSA, if they don't have good authoritative records, the Eagle application may be impossible to complete correctly. However, I haven't seen any written regulations or even guidelines that mandate a minimum number of hours for the project. Are you sure about this?

This sounds very fishy to me as well. Sounds like someone looking for an easy path to something that is not meant to be "easy".

I don't konw how long this boy has been "hanging around", but it needs to be put to a stop. You (technically, your CO) has the right to establish membership standards. I would talk with them to verify that this young man is not meeting them. I would assume that you wouldn't let a new scout get away with these actions?

Our troop invites boys who move into the area to "visit" for 2 months. We set that as a reasonable time for the scout to get to know us and vice-versa. After that point, he needs to make up his mind as to whether he is going to transfer to our troop or find another one. To put it another way, I feel obligated to offer our program to a new boy, but not to the detriment of the boys who have committed themselves to the troop. Whether you see it or not, this boy is a detriment to the troop. Leaving campouts to play video games, "hanging around" at troop meetings and not taking part in activities is sending bad signals to the rest of your scouts. By allowing it to continue, your silence is telling your other boys that the behavior is acceptible. If you "help" him get to Eagle, you are telling them that it is not only acceptible, but rewarded as well.

Sorry for the bluntness, but if I'm understanding your posts directly, I would have very little patience with this young man (or his parents).

Good luck.

I am not trying to hijack the topic but it just occurred to me that we often use phrases that would not make much sense to someone not familiar with our language use. Such a phrase just occurred: "sounds fishy". I note how unlikely it is that a sound will be "fishy" and I admit I'm not sure what it means if it is. Moreover, if you just 'read' those words in an email or similar message, there was no sound at all...I hope. Oops, I think I just got hit by a paper cup.

What KA6BSA said is right. Does this boy Have his merit badge cards or his rank cards? (not the blue ones the other ones) If he doesn't any of those there is no way that eagle appication is going to get through becuase on the applcation they ask for the date of your 1st calss BOR, and life, and the dates on 21 merit badges. He'll have to start everything all over.

Sounds Fishy -Definition

The actual term "sounds fishy" comes from the occasional slap of water made upon the reentry of a fish after a jump. This abrupt sound occasions a startle reaction or entreats a mystery upon the listener unawares.

This term also comes from the Latin, "smells fishy". Taking a brisk walk through the open market of dead and decaying fish brings an aroma to the by passer that he or she cannot soon forget. If, by chance the person has any of the vital fish juice splashed upon their clothing, someone might later comment, "They smell fishy".

The use of the term has been subjected to subtle changes over years but most being similar in nature to the original. One example has become a standard in the American game of Clue. Someone might say that the culprit was Professor Mustard in the Billiard room with a candle stick holder that committed the crime. Another contestant would then comment, "This sounds fishy" as a way of expressing disbelief in the accusation. Some have even commented that it looks fishy which, of course, is an abstraction to a verbal statement, making it all the more mysterious.

Sherlock Holmes was never known to have used any of these terms because his deductions were always accurate so never a mystery was to be had, thus having little odor to dismiss.

I thought this might clear the air on this issue.

FB

(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

Gentlemen thank you for your thoughts

I have set up SM conference (05 Feb 04) with the boy to discuss this advancement and let him know what has to be done in order to earn this rank. I will let him no that any help he needs the Troop and Committee will be there to help him. But it will be up to him to meet the requirements. I will keep you posted on what develops.

I think maybe there's something else going on with this kid... leaving for part of an event because he needs a break to go play video games. Have you asked the parents about this? This is just odd. A kid who doesn't want to be at an event either doesn't come or leaves early and doesn't return. They don't say "I need a break." This sounds like a kid with asperger's syndrome or some such thing. The other piece that fits is his reluctance to be in a POR even though he's served on summer camp staff. How is he with general basic social skills? How does he do one on one? What do the other boys think of him? Ask one of your more mature scouts. How bout his parents? How do they explain his behavior? Something is up with this kid. I'm not saying "give him his eagle". I'm just curious about what makes him tick. or tock :)

I saw this quote this morning, it reminded me of this thread:

''Leadership is getting someone to do what they don't want to do, to achieve what they want to achieve.'' - Tom Landry

Sounds like a good job description for a Scoutmaster.  ;-)