Directive Style Of Leadership??

My Troop, My Patrol! Ownership. Nothing wrong with a PL or SPL taking ownership of what they are responsible for. Makes for a better leader. Ownership doesn't require a bill of sale. One can own something if it is entrusted to their care.

And the two QM's in your son's Troop never tell a Scout what to do with a piece of equipment or where to put a piece of equipment? Maybe the conversation goes something like this.

Johnny Scout: Mr. QM, where do you want me to put this stove?

Qm: Well, Johnny Scout ,where do you think you should put it.

Johnny Scout: I guess that depends on whene we will need it.

QM: Well, Johnny Scout, when do you think we will need it?

Johnny Scout: Probably not until morning.

QM: Well, Johnny Scout, why would you say that?

Johnny Scout: Because or snack tonight is a cold snack.

QM: Well, Johnny Scout, what if the patrol wants hot chocolate?

Johnny Scout: Good point. So where do you want me to put this stove?

And all that could have been avoided & the rest of the truck could have been unloaded if the QM would have just answered the 1st question Johnny Scout asked by saying "In the supply tent."

The directing style of leaderhsip can be used as a positive, Bob. Maybe you should learn the positive side of this style of leadership. It would do you some good.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

(This message has been edited by evmori)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was happy to provide another example. I am even happier you recognized it. While we are on a roll let me remind you I have always said there were positive appropriate applications for "directing" but that too many leaders use directing exclusively, and do not employ the other three leadership styles which are more inclusive of others input and skills and should always be considered before "Directing".

Bob White

"While we are on a roll let me remind you I have always said there were positive appropriate applications for "directing" but that too many leaders use directing exclusively, and do not employ the other three leadership styles which are more inclusive of others input and skills and should always be considered before "Directing"."

You have given the impression Directing should only be used under dire circumstances or when simple directions like "Bow your head for prayer" are given. This is wher you & I differ. The Directing style can be used in many positive ways.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed, I am surprised that you would not consider protecting someone from injury, or preparation for grace at meal time, as positive situations.

I too would be interested in situations that you feel are appropriate for directing that do not fit the definition or training used by the BSA.

Bob White

I posted this prior.

SPL: OK guys, let's get the truck(s) unlaoded.

PL: My patrol, put all our gear on that table over there!

Other PL: My patrol, put all our gear under that tree.

SM: Mr. SPL, the adults will handle their own gear.

SPL: OK. Thanks

What's not positive?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

Yes Ed, I know you posted that earlier, do you have a few other examples? as you can tell I am a little leary on this postive directing leadership thing, I need some help understanding it, and as you seem to have a lot of experience in using directing leadership, I want to make use of your talents and expertise

OGE,

I really don't have a lot of experience in what you say. I could list a lot of situation similar to the one I posted but they would probably all sound the same with minor exceptions. And I don't see the need to be so repetitive. Plus, Bob gave us NOTHER EXAMPLE.

Bob,

Yes protecting someone is a positive thing to do. And so is prayer. Sorry I forgot you are so literal.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

OGE:

Directive style of leadership is generally welcome and very positive when the person being led doesn't have a clue as to what to do.

I've never been scuba diving in my life and don't really have much knowledge of how to go about it.

A scuba instructor directing me would be most welcome -- I'm certainly not ready to handle delegation. I need to be told which whatsis to hook to the whatever, how to breathe, etc.

The other problem I have is that I'm really not interesting in going on a dive, but that's a different issue.

DS

Hi Ed,

If you mean that my writing adheres to fact or to the ordinary construction or primary meaning of a term or expression, free from exaggeration or embellishment, thank you, I try.

And may I say I think you underestimate your experience in "directing", and given a few moments of quiet contemplation could no doubt share many, many instances as to how you have used this style to accomplish your goals.

I believe it would be helpful to others to see the many positive aspects you have found for "directing" as opposed to the three other styles of leadership. I for one look forward to your input.

Bob White

No Bob, I didn't mean that at all. You seem to walk with blinders. You can't see left or right only straight ahead. And if it isn't straight ahead, it isn't there! That's what I meant.

More examples, sure!

"Time to get up?"

"You cook breakfast, I'll do the dishes"

Ok everyone, time to eat. Get you cups & have a seat!"

Nothing negative about any of those. You guys happy now?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Bob-"If you mean that my writing adheres to fact or to the ordinary construction or primary meaning of a term or expression, free from exaggeration or embellishment, thank you, I try."

ED-"No Bob, I didn't mean that at all."

How couldyou not mean that Ed? What I wrote was the definition of "literal" from the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

So are you saying when you said I was being "literal" that you didn't mean the definition of the word literal? Fascinating use of the English language Ed.

"Time to get up?"

You see this as leadership Ed? This is being helpful not leadership. There is no development taking place here.

"You cook breakfast, I'll do the dishes"

You don't teach patrols to use duty rosters Ed, and then trust them to do their job?

Ok everyone, time to eat. Get you cups & have a seat!"

You actually find in necessary to tell a scout to get his cup and to sit to eat Ed?

How unique, how telling.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

It seems to me that this all boils down to leaders not allowing the scouts to be late and facing the reactions from those actions.

What would happen if no one told the patrol to get the gear and set it up? They would be scrambling around at midnight trying to get the tents setup. And than getting up too late to make breakfast and be able to make the scheduled event. Of course this means the troop would have to have scheduled fun/exciting events planned so that the scouts feel that they missed out on something, while the other patrols where doing the activity the patrol that did not get up on time would be cooking and cleaning. I see very few scouters that would let this happen. It sounds like sometimes you should just let them miss these events. Or run their underwear up a flagpole or make them sing for being late.

The SPL should delegate the authority to the PL and or QM. Empowerment is a very powerful tool.