Anyone out there with experience working with autistic kids? I have a fairly seriously autistic boy wanting to join our pack and I'm looking for some input. Actually the boy seems realtively easy to get along with, but dealing with his mom concerns me.

I'd invite the mom to talk to the other boys about her son and what they can expect from him, and give some tips on how best to be a friend to him. This is assuming that the boy is not able to explain it himself - if he can, that would be even better. It would make sense to me to emphasize that we're all different but some differences show more (since you describe him as fairly severe). Since you're worried about dealing with the mom, I'd sit in on the discussion and try to pay attention, you will probably learn something. The goals for this boy will be similar to the goals for your other boys - foster self-reliance and independent thinking, develop inter-personal skills, and most of all to have FUN.

I'd also read Son-Rise and a Miracle to Believe in by Barry Neil Kaufman. Actually, I would read those whether or not I had an autistic boy in the troop as I think they are magnificent books about the power of love and acceptance to heal. Both were bestsellers and are frequently available at used bookstores.

My wife is a speech person at a public school and deals with autistic kids all the time. Many times these kids are BRILLIANT in the brain department.

For the adult it can be hard to understand what is going on. I don't know if it is legal but how about asking for a meeting with some of "Tommy's" spec ed teachers and the mother. This would allow you to talk to the "experts"(they spend more waking hours with him than the mother)about him in particular. Most teachers would see that Scouting is good for him and be pleased that you are willing to bend his way. Publish confidential minutes of the meeting with the mom so you can remember what suggestions were made. I leave you with one thing.

My wife says that Autism is no excuse for BAD behavior, maybe different but not BAD. God Bless you.

My wife is a speech person at a public school and deals with autistic kids all the time. Many times these kids are BRILLIANT in the brain department.

For the adult it can be hard to understand what is going on. I don't know if it is legal but how about asking for a meeting with some of "Tommy's" spec ed teachers and the mother. This would allow you to talk to the "experts"(they spend more waking hours with him than the mother)about him in particular. Most teachers would see that Scouting is good for him and be pleased that you are willing to bend his way. Publish confidential minutes of the meeting with the mom so you can remember what suggestions were made. I leave you with one thing.

My wife says that Autism is no excuse for BAD behavior, maybe different but not BAD. God Bless you.