Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.

Came across that quote recently, do you agree or not?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While generalization isn't a good thing, it seems there are more kids today with less respect for anything but themselves than ever.

Sager,

Good nose! Mine smells the same thing!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Who is defining kids? At age 40, there are some who still think of ME as a kid :) So, are we talking the little guys or multi generations?

I have seen a lack of respect, but I have also seen that when children are given expectations of behaviour and the model to learn from, they tend to meet the challenge.

Sadly, I come across more sassy children than polite ones. But, then I meet the parents, and I understand :(

Good Morning All

If I have not learned anything else in my adult life, I've learned that our children are a result of our societys expectations of them. Our children are a reflection of their mentors (us).

This discussion fits very well with the "A question came to mind" subject under Issues and Politics.

I feel we live in a generation afraid of judging behavoir. Without judgement, accountiblity is only in the eye of the beholder.

Barry

I'm with the one who senses a set up. I've seen the quote before, although I don't remember where or who said it.

OGE is a clever old bird (sorry for the pun.)

It is a very old quote. I'm guessing that since the dawn of time adults have groused about children's behavior. Well, it just so happens that like it or lump it, sooner or later those kids will have control of this great world and we will no longer have it.

I was thinking about that yesterday when I realized that in 15- 20 years, I'll probably be older than whoever is President of the United States . . . and have a heck of a lot less responsibility.

And I certainly won't expect the President of the United States to rise when I walk into the room just because I'm older.

DS

Disagree with all points except

Our youth now love luxury

As do I.

chatter before company

What does this mean? They talk in front of company? They are chipmunks?

When I 1st read it I thought it was a FOG quote.

Since the cat's out of the bag - the quote is commonly attributed to Socrates, but apparently there is no conclusive evidence that he actually said it. The Library of Congress notes that this quote is "attributed to Socrates by Plato" in a 1950's book the name of which escapes me.

The quote may have come from Plato's Republic Book 4, where Socrates is quoted saying the following regarding things that he thinks have been neglected: "I mean such things as these: when the young are to be silent before their elders; how they are to show respect to them by standing and making them sit; what honour is due to parents; what garments or shoes are to be worn; the mode of dressing the hair; deportment and manners in general. You would agree with me? Yes."

The Greek philosopher Plato studied under Socrates. Plato complained about the youth of the day, also. "What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?" I think this is a direct quote, but can't find the reference at the moment.

Here's another one:

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

And who says we Scouters aren't well rounded in our education! My humble contribution - Scouting does "Round a Guy Out."

Not exactly on topic, but one of my favorites:

"There are many ways to measure success; not the least of which is the way your child describes you when talking to a friend." (Unknown)

Ok, it was Socrates, or at least attributed to him, the first time I heard it was at the OA Scoutopia exhibit at the 2001 Jamboree. I read it at a recent Court of Honor, to remind adults that the younger generation is usually thought of as inferior to the present.

When you think of the generation, the Gay Nineties with Straw Boater Hats, the Flappers of the 20's. the Zoot Suiters of the 40's and Greasers of the 50's and Hippies of the 50's and Disco Dancers of the 70's its each generation's job to shock the previous the generation and establish their own identity. David Bowie made Alice Cooper, Kiss and Ozzy possible who then made Marilyn Mansion possible. Each generation takes it up a notch, (not sure I wanna be the guy to follow manson.

I guess my point is, no matter what we think of todays youth we need to be sure to remember that they are youth and we as leaders and adults need to guide them, as we had adults guide us poor pathetic wretches in the past(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Have to admit to feeling kind of smug.

I knew Who said it.

I do think that OGE, makes a wonderful point.

Her That Must Be Obeyed, seems to spend half the day telling #1 Son to pull up them pants,

My dear mother spend half her time teling me that my platform shoes would ruin my feet, all the time "Spiders from Mars" played on.

Eamonn

Other than the price of their toys going up, and their ability to learn seems to be accelerating faster than my own, I see very little difference in today's youth and the characters and characteristics I recall from my own youth back in the 50s and 60s.

I think kids are terrific! I can however think of several adults who need severe corrective actions.

Bob White

In my life, there hasn't yet been a generation who did not express that same sentiment about the generation of their offspring. Starting with good 'ol Socrates, that's probably been the case ever since, and will always be. Looking squarely into the mirror in order to see that the clay we've molded into the child is a relflection of ourselves (as a generation) is not an easy thing. And so many avoid it altogether. Most of what the child becomes will be only what our guidance and teaching allows.

I can not help but think of a friend of mine who banned his children from MTV several years ago and would get upset when he would catch them watching it, when he was a big Elvis fan at their age. Elvis, was supposed to be the end of that generation. But he forgot about that. Then again we as adults see things from an "adult" persective which is totally different from the view of a 12-14 year old.