A presentation on the 4 Styles of Leadership

You aare getting very close Kris. I really appresiate the change in tone your SPl has taken on. The only hurdle left is Patrol Leadership. Where is it? Why is the SPL doing all the leading that is not his job. Try working in the patrol method. (Hint: Troop cooking is not a scouting method)

I can't wait to see your next post...Good job.

B:)b White

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bob,

Kris answered as well as I could have. The questions are asked as a means of initialing a dialog. The dialog should move ahead with the purpose of allowing the PL to realize that it is in his best interest to get his patrol setup. Nowhere in the questions did I (the SPL) address the scouts, I only addressed the PL, and I as the SPL did not offer to do the job. The questions were as Kris implied, designed to either lead into a coaching or supporting style.

"(Hint: Troop cooking is not a scouting method)"

Hi again Bob,

I was just trying to stick with the example that was started. Our troop cooks either by patrol, or by 2s or 3s for backpacking or canoeing outings, but not all troops do.

Upon returning to the patrol the PL would ask the following questions. Trying to steer them to what has been decided as the 6:00 supper time.

1. Where do you guys think we ought to set up?

2. What time do we want to eat?

3. What do we need to do to make that happen?

4. Who can do that? (As the patrol brings up duties.)

5. (Discus any obstacles, asking for possible solutions as they arise)

5. (Get started)

The example Kris set would be of supporting. It does not meet the style criteria for coaching since the the SPL did not have a demonstration segment or work hands on to train the scout at any time.

However, the leadership styles also need to follow the patrol memthod. Bypassing the leadership structure of the patrol is not going to create teamwork or develop the leadership skills of the PL. Since half of the responsibility of leadership is to 'keep the group together' being respectfull of the othe members of the leadership council and staying within your area of responsibility is half the job of the leader.

I think Kris sees this and will have a patrol method based solution iin his next post.

Bob White