Boy run Troop Project

In as much as I have come to respect the opinions of most everyone on this forum, I've got a situation for which I would love your feedback.

A few weeks ago, the caretaker of our local BSA camp approached our Scoutmaster and put an idea in his head that our Troop might want to consider adopting a campsite at the camp and start making some improvements. He mentioned that almost all of the deirable campsites are spoken for, and if we wanted to get a decent site, we should speak up quickly.

The SM brought this up at an adult committee meeting. As the acting CC (the CC was sick), I strongly urged that the SM take this to the PLC to decide if, where, and what they could do. I also suggested that our committee be ready to provide resources as necesary if they decided to pursue this.

The SM spoke further with the caretaker, and sent an e mail to the junior leadership making the sugestion that they should consider this. Just as a personal opinion, one of our weaknesses sometimes can be that we as adults in out Troop "strongly urge" the boys in the direction we think they should go. Some of us see it as a big weakness, other adults don't see any problem with it. As much as I don't like it, even I participate sometimes (mea culpa).

As a response to the e mail to the Junior Leadership, an ASM responded to all suggeting that this would a perfect project to divide up by Patrols and make certain sections of the project the responsiblity of specific Patrols. I responed to all by congratulating the ASM and adding my two cents, most of which came from what I have learned here.

The SM responded saying that although he agreed, since our Troop's reputation is on the line, we shouldn't leave this kind of project to the boys (that is my translation, not his actual words). Here is my response:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

" Even if what needs done first is a shelter, I'd still have the PLC run the work and assign jobs to the patrols. There is no need for adults to interfere with the PLC. When they need us for advice or resources, they should know to ask us. If it's their Troop, which it is, it should be their project.

"Certainly, they won't have the skills necessary to do the job on their own. And it is irresponsible if we let them. But it would be equally irresponsible to take away a great opportunity to learn leadership, teamwork, and the hard skills that they would learn by doing the project themselves.

"I often think that this is one of the weakest parts of our Troop. We too often tell the boys what to decide they will do, them tell them how they should decide how to go about doing it. We do it for very understandable reasons: We don't want them to fail. Sometimes it's because something just needs to get done, and we can't afford the risk that the boys can't or won't do it. Sometimes it's because we (as adults) commit to something and then don't want to be embarrassed if the boys don't meet adults' expectations. I don't think this is the way Boy Scouts is supposed to work. It is the boys' Troop. They decide what they want to do, consistent with the three Aims and eight Methods of Scouting. They ask the adults for resources when they can't provide them for themselves. Then they go at it. They do the best they can (and one of our jobs is to require that of them), and the results are the results, be they good or bad. But in the end, it is the character, leadership, and skills building that really is the result of whatever they attempted, not the edifice or improvement left after the work was done.

"I hesitate offering my suggestions here, because I don't won't the PLC swayed by my thoughts. But were I on the PLC, I'd suggest that they get some input from a knowledgeable adult about the processes, materials and skills nectar to build a pavilion, they divide what they get into manageable assignments for each of the patrols. Each Patrol Leader should make assignments for all of the elements that Patrol is responsible, and get going on it.

"These boys can do this. I am abundantly confident. all we have to do is step out of the way, and be ready to provide any resources they need to make it happen on their own. If I'm wrong, if they know they can't do this on their own, then they shouldn't even try.

"(SM), if you think I'm wrong, run it by (the caretaker) or someone at the Scout office. I'm guessing they'd love to see one of these projects really boy accomplished (if they haven't already)."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Am I on target? Do I accurately portray what Scouting is? I don't want to make enemies, and our SM is a terrific guy. But I think I am ready to use what I have learned here and take a stand to push our Troop to the next level of youth leadership. Am I on track here?

Thanks for your help. You guys and gals are a tremendous resource, and I'm glad I found you all.

Mark

Mark,

You are on target. The adults should only be giving advice at the PLC in this case like "What tools do you think you will need?" "How many people do you think this will take?"

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

MK9750,

I think you have a good handle on the relationship between the adults and the PLC.

The SM should help the Senior Patrol Leader to arrive at the decisions that need to be considered.

The SPL should help the Patrol Leaders with the decisions that must be made.

The other adults help to support the decisions arrived at by the PLC.

Bob

Hi mk

When I was new to scouting and naive, I used to think the SM was THE position with the most influence on the scouts. Since then I've learn the adults behind the Scoutmaster who see the big picture and think outside the box are the real influences in great troop programs. I wished I had you standing with me when I we were blazing trail. They cant see it yet, but like the new super-fast rollercoaster ride that we hesitate to get on, everyone will be smiling from ear to ear when its over. Your troop will never be the same.

Man I love Scouting Stuff.

Barry