rebuilding a troop

I'd measure eagle by the requiremens printed in the book. If the scout met them, I'd sign off on his eagle paperwork.

As most of the scout's time was under the previous advancement guide (ACPP versus GTA), the "active" to be used for this scout did not include the reasonable expectations. The GTA came out in October 2011. Until then, it was just a registered and not dismissed from troop as the standard for "active".

I'd also just look at it as the Eagle requirements define the level expected to earn Eagle. If you want more out of the scout, that's between you, the troop program and the scout.

The big problem I have with the POR system is it's very difficult to manage to a strict sense. Suppose it's May and the scout gets "Historian" or another position. If the troop is mostly quiet during the summer except for a few events, then there are not many measurement points for the POR. For adult leaders to hold the scout accountable, you need to interact EARLY and if doesn't change, REMOVE THE SCOUT from the POR. But say it's May and the scout only needs four months of POR. Well, June, July, August & Sept. You probably only have three troop meetings to evaluate his POR. After that, he's earned it. Even during the normal part of the year, you really really need to stay on top of PORs otherwise the time goes very quick. The general rule is scouts credit for time served and if they were not doing their job, you should have corrected them, trained them or removed them.