BD you have some excellent ideas there. I think I will have to borrow them. Only thing I can think to add may be a "best dressed" patrol. It could be uniforming, or simply best dressed (shirts tucked in, pants pulled up, general neatness). The "ribbon" could be a necktie.

hmmmm, thinking out loud here.....

sharp dressed man ribbon.......Black ribbon with a ZZtop beard.....maybe not they would think it is duck dynasty.. The necktie could work....Need to go to good will and find the biggest loudest brightest one there......

Our troop has never really had patrol rivalry/pride identity before......This seems to be helping ...

• 1 month later...
hmmmm, thinking out loud here.....

sharp dressed man ribbon.......Black ribbon with a ZZtop beard.....maybe not they would think it is duck dynasty.. The necktie could work....Need to go to good will and find the biggest loudest brightest one there......

Our troop has never really had patrol rivalry/pride identity before......This seems to be helping ...

BD: What awards did you settle on, and how is it working so far?

Once one develops maturity in the patrols so they function as a team, one will no longer need the carrot/stick bribery to get them to conform. The first question one must ask is to whose standard are they expected to conform? The adults or their own? I have always found strong patrols tend to work for their own goals, rather than some arbitrary standard made up by someone else. Have the PL's define what they want and then if it's within reason, help, mentor, and assist them in accomplishing it. Their carrots are more rewarding than yours.