iPods and the "Real" Patrol Method

I always encourage competent young men to go camping with their buddies without auld supervision. I apologize that the BSA moniker can no follow them

Same applies to 18-20 year old co-eds. If they want to backpack on a long weekend, I'll help them make a plan.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So on a training hike for Philmont this weekend we did 12 miles of the Appalachian Trail in Northeast PA, we came across two through hikers, both were identified by their large packs and ear phones"

I doubt they were thru-hikers. The thru-hikers with large packs all quit before getting out of Georgia.

• 1 month later...

At risk of resurrecting a zombie thread, I have always had problems with our troops' "no electronics" policy -- and in fact, the troop has relaxed the policy in recent years. I would rather teach the boys about appropriate use of electronics or any other piece of equipment than just ban them but the biggest problem I had with the policy was that I felt like a hypocrite when enforcing it. When I grew up through Scouting, our troop/patrol frequently brought along small boomboxes and pounds worth of D-cell batteries.

We packed that extra weight along because it made camp more pleasant (none of us could play an instrument or sing worth a darn) but we didn't get so lost in the music that we neglected chores and we knew to turn it off when we wanted to observe the wildlife.

We also had plenty of hikes and even campouts where the adults only contact was to drop us off Friday night and pick us back up Sunday.

Six of us out of a core eight made Eagle and I've been active in Scouting for 22 of the 25 years since I graduated from college (1.5 years at a remote assignment overseas and 1.5 years in the National Capitol Area Council where none of the troops near me seemed to need any additional adult help). I just don't see how an electronics ban helps anything (nor do I see anything but legalistic BS behind the changes to GtSS).

Today, I instruct the boys that they shouldn't be using their iPods on trail because they need to be aware of their surroundings and able to hear trail commands but I have no problems with them using them in their tents. One boy wanted me to let him use his iPhone to take notes of a lesson I was about to instruct and then transcribe his notes to his notepad; I pointed out his notepad was in his tent 12 feet away and doing the iPhone thing seemed like just an excuse to play with his toy -- he agreed and fetched his notepad.

I not-so-humbly submit that decay of the patrol method has nothing to do with iPods or other electronics and everything to do with improper teaching, societal "correctness" and a decay in truly understanding the essence of Scouting at National and Council levels.

"Today, I instruct the boys that they shouldn't be using their iPods on trail because they need to be aware of their surroundings and able to hear trail commands...."

As you can see from our YouTube vids, our Scouts are free to use their IPods on the trail. So far they have suffered only a few fatalities. :)

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

• 2 weeks later...

Our troop has a no electronics policy in place. They are a distraction on campouts ( and in weekly meetings) and can allow individuals to access what ever they want to see or hear on the internet in some areas (camp, rest areas, ect). It could effectively tear down any youth protection that was in place and ultimately distracts from the purposes that they are out camping in the first place.

Our troop has a no electronics policy in place. They are a distraction on campouts ( and in weekly meetings) and can allow individuals to access what ever they want to see or hear on the internet in some areas (camp, rest areas, ect). It could effectively tear down any youth protection that was in place and ultimately distracts from the purposes that they are out camping in the first place.

"It ... ultimately distracts from the purposes that they are out camping in the first place."

The topic for this thread is "iPods and the 'Real' Patrol Method."

The "Real" Patrol Method refers to William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt's Patrol Method (as opposed to Leadership Development's Patrol Method).

Hillcourt defined a "Real" Patrol as a gang of approximately eight friends that finds adventure in hiking on a regular basis, separately from the rest of a Boy Scout Troop and its "Adult Association."

So by definition the "purpose" of a Patrol Hike is to cover physical distance for the sake of adventure: iPods enhance that adventure for some Patrols.

As a practical matter, I don't see how "Adult Association" (or a "Troop PLC" that buys into adult "safety" excuses) can enforce an anti-technology policy against Real Patrols without using the Troop Method.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

• 2 weeks later...

Our troop ( troop 825) has banned all electronics ( except gps and emergencies) at all troop activities. At campouts, you can take them with you on the way there and use them on the way there and back, but after that they get locked in the truck.