This time SM in hot water

Matt,

You're not doing anything incorrectly, unless you are signing off as soon as they do it, and then continue working with them until they learn the skill.

In the older BSHBs and literature, Scouts were expected to "master the skills" before getting them signed off. Some how between the time I was a Scout, and today, the idea of "One and Done," i.e. the scout does the skill one time and it gets signed off and he never has to do it again, has come about. And this is incorrect. Even the Guide to Advance, G2A, states that the badge a scout wears represents what he is capable of doing and NOT a reward for past achievement ( all bold and caps for emphasis) or words to that effect.

There was a discussion on One and Done a whiles back. It's a good read.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, Crossramwedge, we're all waitin' on yeh, eh? To cheer and be supportive and buy yeh a virtual beverage of your choice for doin' the hard part of your job. ;)

MattR, I think da threads Eagle92 are referrin' to are here:

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=332411#id_332558

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=341502#id_341502

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I thought that the post had been deleted. I did not realize it had gotten put on to the patrol method sight. I just ran across it earlier this evening.

The family involved after some discussion has decided to move on. They and five other families are leaving. We wish them well. They have a different ideas of scouting than the rest of the troop adults. (Webelos III) ring a bell. Not a bad thing, just not for our troop. When they realized that the SM was not going anywhere and that they where not going to get their way they decided to move on. We have offered to help them in every way we could.

The BOR not taking place was a mistake, but that was just one of several issues that we had with these families. They are very, very protective of their boys. Over protective if you ask me. One of the problems we had occurred when we had "Troublesome" boys join the troop. These families would get up their ire and demand ultimatums be given to these boys to immediately straighten up or get out. They do not want their boys associating with "kids like that". The other adults in the troop feel like we need to reach out to these boys and mentor and guide them because that is what we as scouts need to do. To us that is what scouting is all about. Its not about building a wall and excluding these troubled boys.

"The family involved after some discussion has decided to move on. They and five other families are leaving. We wish them well. They have a different ideas of scouting than the rest of the troop adults. (Webelos III) ring a bell. Not a bad thing, just not for our troop. When they realized that the SM was not going anywhere and that they where not going to get their way they decided to move on."

Actually this is what I would have suggested in the first place. Sometimes there are personality conflicts between scout leaders and either the scouts or their families. There are enough scouting units out there that the scouts and families can find something they like better.

Tahawk, you may or may not be right. Even on this board, nobody can seem to agree on what's best for scouts.

If the "helicopter parents" find a unit they are happy with, but it is the wrong way to raise boys, they will either figure it out or suffer the consequences in the long run. They've made their bed, let them lay in it. We don't need to heap insult to them on top of that.