Are You Tougher Than a Boy Scout?

Could be real or fake, fun or dumb but I hope it works though I would rather see patrols of scouts compete. I placed this in "Patrol Method" here as I wish the terms "patrol" and "patrol method" had been used by National.

"Irving, TEXAS (Jan. 17, 2012) Are You Tougher Than a Boy Scout? Its the question being asked by a new unscripted series from Original Productions (Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers) set to air this fall on the National Geographic Channel.

Those who have been involved with the Boy Scouts of America know how tough Scouts can be. They master hundreds of unique skills, learn what it takes to survive in a variety of circumstances, and focus on teamwork to accomplish goals that otherwise would be insurmountable. Now, as part of Are You Tougher Than a Boy Scout?, teams of adults from different backgrounds will have an opportunity to test their mettle against some of those Scouts in challenges based on the Boy Scout Handbook..."

http://www.scouting.org/Media/PressReleases/2012/20120117.aspx?mid=5803(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

I'd like to see "Are You Tougher Than a Cub Scout?!"

Contestants try to survive:

Having their eyes glued shut by Tigers.

Being tied to a tree with un-named knot creations by Wolves.

Getting less than ten minor cuts and none requiring a tourniquet while teaching Bears Whittlin' Chip.

Eating the food on a WebI camping trip.

- and -

Being the target of Arrows of Light!

JoeBob,

RIGHT ON!!!! ROTFLMAO

Sailing,

110% with ya on the Sea Scout one.

Base,

With the abundance of reality TV shows, Why not. Some of the things I've done are a heck of a lot better than some of the shows out there. Although I admit MANTRACKER is one I like as it reminds me of some of the games we played in my troop back in the day.

Last weekend our troop participated in a winter campout. High 20's to low 30's at night. Gusting winds off the bay 200 yrds away. Camped in open field about 40 yards in diameter.

We had two lads who spread out a plastic sheet on the ground, then their sleeping pads, sleeping bag and that was it. Slept outside with no tent or tarp overhead. Second night they stacked a few logs in log cabin fashion around their tarp, ran a rope down the center and spread a tarp overtop approximately 2 feet off the ground. Tarp was staked at corners to the ground creating a wind break. The two ends were open. Entering the structure was noticably warmer than outside the structure. 1 night in the open air and 2 nights in their structure. 3rd morning woke to frost on ground and tents.

Both lads were often seen during the weekend wearing shorts. Both scouts had long pants and proper clothing for cold weather (multiple layers, gloves and hats, non-cotton, etc.) Tents were available for their use.

Ah, the excitement of youth to challenge themselves against nature. Wilderness survival MB and OA ordeal would be a opporuntity to teach rather than be tests for these two.

I was going to say:

"Hell yeah! You bet I am tougher than a boyscout!"

Because I see how thee scouts can barely survive a few days of camping without tv, video games, and texting.

But then I also know they can go two weeks straight with taking a shower or even changing their underwear if you were to allow that, sooooooooooooo...............................

I have to admit - I am not that tough! :)

This is a wonderful, unique opportunity to demonstrate the value, fun, and challenge of Scouting to audiences who might be wondering what Scouting in 2012 is all about, said BSA Chief Scout Executive Bob Mazzuca. We know Scouts are Prepared. For Life.TM, so theyre up to facing the challenges life throws their way."

"What Scouting in 2012 is all about"?

Judging from our CSE's anti-Scoutcraft speech when he unveiled his trademarked "Prepared. For Life" theme, look to National Geographic Channel for the "fun and challenge" of the future Boy Scout program of soccer matches and EDGE square knot relay races :)

I discovered a new challenge for a "Are you tougher than a Sea Scout?" show. Welding in a closet. The goal: Move a metal plate and bracketish thing from one side of the closet to the other.

The closet is just big enough to wield a saws all, and to get the correct angles you have to get all the way into it.

Somehow I had sparks bouncing up under my welding mask.

Of course with that new welding merit badge I guess Boy Scouts could do it too.

• 2 months later...

I discovered a new challenge for a "Are you tougher than a Sea Scout?" show. Welding in a closet. The goal: Move a metal plate and bracketish thing from one side of the closet to the other.

The closet is just big enough to wield a saws all, and to get the correct angles you have to get all the way into it.

And the closet doesn't have a door. You get into it through a removable ceiling panel and hang upside down from the attic while you weld. Also, every once in a while, someone makes the whole closet rock back and forth.

Oh, also, it doesn't so much have a floor as it has a mass of pipes, ductwork, electrical cords, and a hole to a spot in the basement that is essentially inaccessible. Anything you drop goes into that hole.

"And the closet doesn't have a door. You get into it through a removable ceiling panel and hang upside down from the attic while you weld. Also, every once in a while, someone makes the whole closet rock back and forth.

Oh, also, it doesn't so much have a floor as it has a mass of pipes, ductwork, electrical cords, and a hole to a spot in the basement that is essentially inaccessible. Anything you drop goes into that hole. "

EXACTLY!!!!