New Scout Patrol Programs

I understand that there are many different ways that the whole NSP can be run. One question I have is; does anyone out there have it down in a document on how their troop does it. I have talked with the SM and we have determined the need for the NSP. I started one program, but my computer powercord is broken, at the connection with the computer, and I cannot get the program off the laptop.

If anyone has any documents, it would be appreciated.

Is there something specific you're looking for?

In my experience, NSPs are just like any other patrol, only operating with the help of a troop guide and/or ASM. Sometimes the TG is appointed PL for a few months; sometimes the patrol elects a PL from the start. Sometimes the patrol exists for six months to a year and then the Scouts scatter into other patrols; sometimes they stick together like glue. It varies widely.

I think one important thing is that they operate as a patrol, with a full patrol identity - the Ravens or the Wolves, not "the new Scouts" or "the NSP," even in adult leader shorthand.

What does the PLC think? What does it want the program to look like?

You don't need to write up anything special or design a new scout program. Refer to the Boy Scout handbook and the Scoutmaster handbook. What's written there is what you do. Other than having a troop guide for advice and guidance during the first 3 to 6 months, they are just like any other patrol. Just remember they choose a patrol leader and are not lead by the troop guide. They may also get a bit of special attention from the scoutmaster to keep them focused on basic skills / initial advancement.

But their program is learning the skills to camp and have adventures in scouting. Just so happens those skills are organized as Tenderfoot, 2nd class and 1st class.

I've been in troops with formal document new scout patrol agendas / programs. It get stale quick.

Have them always bring the Boy Scout handbook. T-2-1 is their patrol program. Let them choose and control the rest.

I'm the ASM of the new scout program in our troop. A few years ago (for one of my WoodBadge ticket items) I started to build this very thing out based upon some materials I found on the Internet. It has changed over the years and last year was the first time I had the older boys deliver ALL the sessions (some where great, some not so great). I dovetailed this into a merit badge by offering the public speaking merit badge in November and having the scouts that participate do a session as their final 8-10 minute speech.

Despite presenting all this material, many of the new scouts have the same transitional problem: They might see or some even might learn the material, but left up to them to "initiate" the signoff process by asking, they often assume like cub scouts that the leaders are somehow taking care of this. They soon figure out it is different.

i'm not sure how to attach a document here, so if you want a copy, send me an email and I''l gladly set you up.

Bob

As adults why are you messing with the boys advancement?

Shouldn't they advance at their own rate????

The linked document will get them to first class in six months, Wow.

As shortridge pointed out.....What does the PLC thing about this????

I cannot believe that something like this would be a woodbadge project??? Let me take that back, with the type A personalities I met there, I am very sure they would not risk a thing as important as advancement to mere boys.

Back off let them work the program as laid out in the book

Basement

The problem is, there is no program. The troop needs guidance. The boys that are going to be joining the NSP is a new concept. They have always just thrown them into the patrols and that was it. We are trying to improve things in the troop. Three boys just went to NYLT this month.

There is a need for a NSP. There is a desire from some of the youth. The prospective TG is one of the boys who went through NYLT.

They are still learning about PLC's and boy led programs. Some of the youth leaders are having issues getting the other boys to listen.

It is a work in progress and we do not want to lose the new scouts due to lack of planning.

Need the new NSP PL to get A LOT of coaching/support from adult leaders. A good Troop Guide can be a good help IF he is good.

We beat the idea into the boys from day one that (while we use Troopmaster) that it is THEIR responsibility to get their book signed off (and NEVER by their parents). The last two years they learned pretty quick.

We still keep track of group activities, camping nights, etc in Troopmaster and have to "reconcile accounts" a couple times a year but it works pretty well. If a boy asks an ASM "how am I doing" we always go "show me your book". Sometimes I say that anyway. I might point out all they need to do is study the 3R's of personal safety and look here they tell you the page and everything.

This encourages them to use the book. A couple guys are usually pretty zealous and then the competition begins.

I will not look at a book brought up by a parent. I tell them I will be glad to see the boy when he brings it up. It is an important life skill.

I agree the program in the book is pretty good; just do not rush it.

>>I cannot believe that something like this would be a woodbadge project??? Let me take that back, with the type A personalities I met there, I am very sure they would not risk a thing as important as advancement to mere boys.

Back off let them work the program as laid out in the book

Eagledad... LOL. Yeah, there are some pretty strong scouting opinions out there and the boards don't always stay polite.

My apologies to 5yearscouter in advance. The link you posted earlier set off one of my hot buttons. The linked document is very well done and someone put many hours of love into it. BUT ... if I saw that document from a troop, I would run away.

I think it all comes down to the type of troop and your view of scouting. I just don't believe a troop needs a large bureaucratic layer on top of the BSA program. Most everything in that document is already in the scout handbook. The troop guide is the troop guide because he's already advanced. So, he should be pretty familiar with the scout handbook. Let him use it as he offers advice and training to the new scouts.

I think it also comes down to the view of a troop guide. The linked doc views the troop guide as "RUNNING" the new scout program like a teacher runs a class room. Planning worksheets. Schedule worksheets. Detailed session plans. Flag quiz. Progress charts. I don't view it that way. In our troop, the troop guide is more like a friendly older brother who offers advice and shows the new scouts how to do things. He doesn't run their advancement and he doesn't run a Brownsea program.

I just don't think the new scout program needs to be that formal or planned. Encourage? Yes. Check progress? Yes. Provide opportunities? Yes. Run a formal new scout program? No. One of my sons was in a troop like that. It was too much like school and too little fun.

IMHO, documents like that reflect adult(s) who wants to inject more control than reflecting a real problem.

(I'm for keeping new scouts together by the way. No of this breaking them up into different patrols. That's a different topic though.)(This message has been edited by fred8033)

I agree with Barry and Fred, NSP's never really worked well when I was a SM more new scouts dropped out as in their opinion, they were different from the other patrols and were treated by some of the others like they had nothing to contribute. IMHO if you are going to have a NSP give them a patrol leader instead of a troop guide and let one of the newbies get elected as the APL, let the NSP transition into a regular patrol in six months, especially if you use that FCFY program. The last thing any 11-12 yo boy wants is to go into a program as a newbie and be treated differently from the rest of the boys.

From my experiences in scouting NSP's create a weak link in a troop program, the quicker your new scouts transition into regular patrols the better. FCFY, IMO, also is a bad idea if it is forced down the boys throats, let the boys naturally progress at their own speed and you will keep them longer. Troop leaders really need to look at their boys as individuals with different learning styles and aptitudes and forcing FCFY will frustrate many of them and they will drop out because in their minds they will feel not as smart or skillful as the other boys.

Hi guys,

Like most things in scouting, there are varying opinions that I think all have valid points depending on the kind of troop you are in. The first year program has worked well for us. We have a dedicated ASM focused on successful transition of the new scout patrol (this has been my job for 3 years). The new scout patrol picks a patrol leader and the troop guide and troop instructor act as the primary educators.

The plan I developed is a simply a structured syllabus for the troop guide and instructor to follow so that they teach the boys topics that COULD help them advance (if they actually learn the material and come back at a later date to demonstrate their knowledge). It also serves to do some of that initial team/patrol building. They get to know each other and a few older boys guide them, tells them how to adjust to the new way of doing things as a patrol.

I don't think having a written transition/education plan is bad or micro managing. When I start a new job, I hope that someone has put themselves in the shoes of the newbie ahead of time and come up with a way to get me working effectively as fast as possible. That is what I think the original poster is looking for.

Trabucchi

While your plan sounds interesting it is still an adult led approach rather than letting the patrol members especially their leaders plan their own program which is why, IMO, the NSP runs contrary to the patrol method established by BP.

Adult led troop programs really have no place in a boy scout troop unless you plan not to give the boys any leadership experience which will result in a much higher drop out rate.

The effective duration of our NSP's (when we have them) is 5 months (end of Feb to beginning of June). After that, they get assigned to patrols. We find that the 11 y.o.'s have about had enough of each other (except on stormy nights, when they all pile into the same tent).

We've gotten into the routine of asking the PL's "what skills do your boys need to advance?" We do this every three months or so. Then we ask, "What program do you want that will help you teach those skills?"

If we have an older SC scout who needs a particular skill, we may make that a priority. (Heck, if he's 14, we may ask him to teach it the following week.) Point is, we find no point in singling out new scouts after they've showed up for more than a dozen meetings.

I guess you could call our NSP "adult nudged" as opposed to "adult lead".