New Patrols and Green Bar Patrol

The Patrol Leaders' Council

As a patrol leader, you are a member of the patrol leaders' council, and you serve as the voice of your patrol members. You should present the ideas and concerns of your patrol and in turn share the decisions of the patrol leaders' council with your patrol members.

The patrol leaders' council is made up of the senior patrol leader, who presides over the meetings; the assistant senior patrol leader, all patrol leaders, and the troop guide. The patrol leaders' council plans the yearly troop program at the annual troop program planning conference. It then meets monthly to fine-tune the plans for the upcoming month.

Scouting.org

Bill Hillcourt called the PLC (then called "Troop Leaders' Council") assembled for training together the "Green Bar Patrol."

Handbook for Scoutmasters, 1936, at p. 192.

Taking these together, I conclude that the Troop Guide is a member of the Green bar Patrol as he is a member of the PLC.(This message has been edited by TAHAWK)(This message has been edited by TAHAWK)

Is he wearing a PL patch, running patrol meetings, and organizing his patrol? If yes, then yep he has a seat on the PLC.

If not, then A) why isn't he, and B) yep he sits and votes on teh PLC.

OTS,

Hopefully my comment didn't sound to smart alecky. In rereading it, it may have come off as such and I apologize.

In reference to NSPs, I am not a big fan of them. PLs don't have enough knowledge and expereince to work with their patrol members and run the patrol properly. Plus with a mixed age patrol, the expereince ones tend to pair off with a less experienced scout and get them up to speed. I have had and seen mixed experiences with regards to NSPs.

Hiya OldTxScout, welcome to da forums and welcome back to Scoutin' if you are returning after time away!

Yeh got fine answers above. So me, I'm goin' to ask a few questions.

What's your vision for the New Scout patrols? How do yeh want 'em to work?

What's your vision for the return to Patrol Method? How do yeh want that to work?

Your structure should follow your vision, not vice versa.

Some troops don't use New Scout Patrols, and instead do the more traditional thing of having new scouts join permanent, mixed-age patrols. In that case, the PLs sit on the PLC but they're all older, more experienced boys who both need the positions for rank and who are really capable of leading and planning things. In that case there might not be a TG, or he might be the fellow who helps the PLs with new scout ideas. In that case, I think his contribution to the PLC would be worthwhile.

Some troops use New Scout Patrols but "rotate" the PL position to give every boy a sense for how the troop runs. In that case, I think the TG would be the PLC member for the New Scouts, and each meeting he'd have another temporary patrol leader present as a guest to see how things run.

Some troops use New Scout Patrols and do traditional patrol leader elections, and plan on continuing that (age-based) patrol beyond the first year as a natural group of friends. In that case, I figure the New Scout is really the Patrol Leader and sits on the PLC, with the Troop Guide as his advisor.

and on and on...

Each structure comes from a different vision, eh? So your first job is to decide what yeh want the Patrol Method to accomplish for boys. Then worry about the who-does-what details.

Beavah

The Troop Guide is an adviser to the new Scout PL until the new Scout PL gets on his feet. As such he attends PLC meetings as a non voting member and advises the new PL. The idea is eventually the Troop Guide will not have to attend PLC meetings because the PL knows his stuff.

Some terminology here: historically, the "Green Bar Patrol" is only called that when assembled to go on a special training "Green Bar Campout" led by the Scoutmaster at all other times it was called the Troop Leader Council (what we now call the Patrol Leader Council.) The TLC and PLC are essentially the committee responsible for troop program.

BTW: All patrol leaders, including the New Scout Patrol Leader are elected. They are not rotated or assigned.

I don't know where you get the idea that a Troop Guide is a non-voting member.

Various scouting literature show the Senior Patrol Leader, Assistant Senior Patrol Leaders, Patrol Leaders, and Troop Guide are all members. The Scribe is listed as attending for notetaking but without vote. The Scoutmaster is listed as attending but as a mentor and coach.

I didn't do this right the first time. Sorry.

"The Patrol Leaders' Council

As a patrol leader, you are a member of the patrol leaders' council, and you serve as the voice of your patrol members. You should present the ideas and concerns of your patrol and in turn share the decisions of the patrol leaders' council with your patrol members.

The patrol leaders' council is made up of the senior patrol leader, who presides over the meetings; the assistant senior patrol leader, all patrol leaders, and the troop guide. The patrol leaders' council plans the yearly troop program at the annual troop program planning conference. It then meets monthly to fine-tune the plans for the upcoming month."

SOURCE: The Boy Scouts of America at Scouting.org July 9, 2011 [Please note "and the Troop Guide."]

BTW: All patrol leaders, including the New Scout Patrol Leader are elected. They are not rotated or assigned.

LOL. Yah, I confess I had never heard of the rotate thing until these forums, eh? I don't get it myself. But apparently some troops do that and have some success with it, so who am I to argue? :) And there's even some support for it in the SM Handbook which suggests shorter terms/more frequent elections in the New Scout Patrol.

Point is OldTxScout has to figure out where his troop is at and where it wants to go, and then pick a route to try.

NealonWheels is right though, eh? In da current program materials TG is a full PLC member.

Beavah

Thank you all for your great information and your time in Scouting. It is truly the good fight.

We currently have a quasi boy led troop, there is some adult hands on.

The intent of the adult is good, but I would like to see it all, but coaching go away.

Our boy leaders need training in how to lead and a lot more responsibility put on them as well. I think this will help them grow considerably.

As for the "New Patrol" I like the idea of bringing the new young men in together and then rolling them into one of the core patrols after a few months. I know that the this subject is a passionate one for both camps. I will give it a try and see how it works for us before I choose not to use it.

I have bee reading a lot of the information and experiences listed here and I find it great stuff.

I know that my first hurtle will be reeducating the adults in my troop as to the patrol method. I found a lot of good info at the Green Bar web site as well as KUDU's site.

Our schools summer break will be ending soon and all the young men will be gathering around and I want to make sure we start off on the same page. I can't wait to use the The 100yd rule and see what it brings.

WhoAhh to you all.

(This message has been edited by OldTxScout)