Let me add a story to the mix --

I know of a troop that was pretty much an adult-led, troop method, advancement-oriented troop, with do-nothing positions of responsibility and a World's Oldest SPL of an SM. When the SM was asked about the patrol method, he'd answer "we're working on that." But meanwhile, the troop was purchasing a giant carport ("we can fit the entire troop under it"), a large 3-burner propane stove and a trailer to fit it all in. Adult leaders felt they had to boss around "youth leaders" and other Scouts, because otherwise "we'll never get anything done." The situation was bleak.

A new parent came along, asked a few questions, went to committee meetings, and otherwise kept his eyes open and his mouth shut (except when asked). First thing that was noticed that youth leaders didn't act as patrol leaders because 1) they'd never seen a PL in action, and 2) nobody taught them how. The SM was not doing youth training at all.

The situation is better now, but it started with advocating at the committee level. "Do you want to have a youth-led troop, or not?" and gentle reminders. A couple of youth were sent to Brownsea 22 (the old "All Out For Scouting" syllabus) training, and training was offered at the troop level to all prospective PLs. During the training, they were given a set of challenges, such as "take back ownership of the annual calendar", "take back operation of the troop via the PLC" and "run your patrol according to the National Honor Patrol criteria" and others.

The World's Oldest SPL still needs reminders. Although he admitted to other committee members "I didn't think you could do it" (well, we did it by actually turning over responsibility and mentoring -- funny how that actually works). But at the same time, at the last committee meeting, he was looking for agreement to buy two giant dutch ovens ("hell, we can feed the whole troop with those things"). I fear he still doesn't get it.

The bottom line is that it isn't easy -- it takes constant reminders about stepping out of the way. We have a new crop of adults joining the troop this spring, and they need to be taught too. There are some that still don't get that it isn't supposed to be father-son camping. Sometimes it takes a "this is a 100-year old youth leadership development program, and the way it is supposed to work is that adults are supposed to step back and let them lead -- they make mistakes, and it isn't always pretty, but they're learning."