Troop/Patrol equipment

Hey,

Im new to the site, Ive been a scout since i was 11 and not im 17.

about 2 years ago my old troop and i fell out so i switched troops. the new troop is only 6 years old and has no equipment. As i am almost an eagle they have asked me to help put together a list of troop/ patrol equipment. i appreciate any help. Below is the list i came up with. Thanks,

NJ

Patrol box

Camp stove

Stove stands

cooking set

hatchets

bow saws

3/4 axe

cooking utensils

ropes

matches

fire bucket

shovel

can opener

hot muffs

5 Gal. water container

cutting board

rubber mllet

dining fly

griddle

Grill lighter

Lanturn mantle

lantern

propain hose

propane tree

duct tape

roll of aluminum foil

twine

3 wash tubs

2 sponges

dish soap

bleach

garbage bags

salt and pepper

papper towels

brillo pads

leather gloves

Rope

Tents? Or do you ask scouts to bring their own?

You have "cooking set" but it might be a good idea to expand that into separate items (e.g. 12 qt pot, 12 inch pan, etc.). Same thing with utensils. That way whoever is assembling the gear can know if they have the right items.

In our experience the tents that we lend out always get ruined, so since the scouts mostly have there own we ask that they use there own,

There is a pots and pans set by coleman that i planed on.

As for utensils

Tongs, 2 spatulas, 2 laddles, Large fork, 1 small knife, 1 large knife, one chopping nife, cutting bords x2, sturring spoon x2, pasta laddle (laddle with holes and fingures, whisk.

I know back in the day, the BSHB and BS Field book had lists already made for patrol gear.

As to patrol tents, I had the opposite experience in that those tents were taken well care of.

Me personally I'd go the backpacking route, i.e. lightweight gear that is easily compacted.

It's a minor thing, but instead of bleach, try Sterimine tablets. Restaurants and commercial food processors use them. Put one or two in a gallon of water for your final rinse, then air dry. You can use the remaining solution to clean any tables or other surfaces. No ruined clothes from bleach, or potential burns from boiling water.

Online for about $5 per bottle of 150 tablets at http://www.webstaurantstore.com/edwards-councilor-steramine-sanitizing-tablets-sanitab-150-bottle/999TABS.html or just Google Sterimine.

Instead of patrols taking the whole bottle on campouts, get a few large pill bottles from the local pharmacy and only take enough for the campout. That way if someone leaves them out in the rain you only ruin a few.

I'd also recommend starting with backpacking gear. If a troop and patrol starts out adventuring light, it's a simple matter to to do "plop" camping with a trailer, big tarps, etc., for a luxurious once-in-a-while campout. But it's REALLY difficult to wean a car-camping troop off of its heavy propane tanks, stoves suitable only for picnic-table use, etc.

Generally speaking, however, I'd add:

First aid kits - patrol kit in addition to personal supplies

Patrol gear repair kit - string, safety pins, thread, needles, thin wire, tent patching kit, seam sealer

Candles

Patrol flag

Large water containers

If you really need a shovel (and chances are you don't), I'd suggest a small folding spade instead of a full-length shovel.

While each Troop is different and goes about things differently.

I found that we did better outfitting each patrol with Standing Camp gear and having enough light-weight gear for just a couple of Patrols.

The light-weight gear was Troop equipment.

We had 14 Patrols and never ever had that many Patrols at the same time go off on hikes.

Most times we had a base camp with Patrols or just a few older Scouts take off from the base camp with the light-weight gear.

But there is more than one way and whatever works is great.

Ea.

Scout equipment is similar to housing.

Public housing makes living indoors more affordable to a wider percentage of folks as it is subsidized by others. It can also get more abused (less sense of ownership).

Same with Scout equipment. Troop or patrol equipment has the benefit that the proper equipment will be present and does not burden a Scout who may not have the resources to buy their own. However, privately owned equipment is less likely to be abused, less storage burden, etc.

It really is up to the unit and should be influenced by their own particular circumstances.

Your list looks more like a patrol box list with a few other items. I think it is an excellent start. I would recommend paper and "writing stick" and as you camp, you can add items to your wish list.

:)

It always surprises me when it comes to patrol level issues the first step is to process information acquired from other adults, whether it be books, forums or interviews.

Why not just skip to the end and have the boys sit down and figure out on their own what they think they'll need for the patrol equipment. If the troops has money burning in their pockets, give them a patrol box and have them do what they think is best to identify it as their patrol's. Then leave it up to them to figure out what best to put in it. This patrol interaction process will go a long way to develop the comrade of the group. If the boys want to raise their own money and buy tents for their patrol, they are more likely to take care of them. If they want to do their cooking on the fire, why buy a stove? If a stove is needed, backpacking or double-burner? Along with their discussion on what they need, they will naturally evolve into why they are going to need it. If they have no intention of ever going anywhere other than as backpacking, why have a patrol box except to store equipment back at the meeting hall? If they are going to do 100% car camping, then a 2 burner stove would be good, etc.

After their first outing, if they needed anything, then they know the next step in identifying what they are going to need.

You will also find that each patrol that figures out how to best do it will demonstrate leadership to the other patrols as they try and figure out what gear they're going to need. NSP comes in and has a smorgasbord of patrols to learn from and they don't need lectures, lists or adults telling them what to do. Give them a box and have them fill it. The first thing these boys will do is start talking to the older patrols and finding out what they did and the learning starts! After all don't most SM's want their younger boys to learn from the older boys? This will happen naturally without adult intervention if they only get out of the way and quit making rules on how they think it should be done.

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

I put together a camp kitchen many years ago. Had a lot of nice things in it, half of which I never used.

An excellent thread! As the SM for a realtively new Troop who just went on our first camping trip since going from 5 to 20 boys, this is exactly the questions we leaders have been wrestling with. Stosh's answer made a lot of sense and I think that is what I will recommend down to the PL's at the next Troop meeting.

YiS,

John Collins

Scoutmaster

Troop 25

Shenandoah Area Council