New troop, old questions

I'm sure this has come up before, but hopefully this is with a slightly different spin so I'm at least not too boring. :)

I am going to be the SM of a brand new troop that will be starting up in about a month. The biggest obstacle I think we are going to face as a troop is not the boys inexperience but mine.

I have not been an SM before, and have only been an ASM for two troops for about a year. For the last year, I believe I have seen a lot of the "what not to do" type of leadership. I was part of the most adult led troop in my area, and in the other saw "boy-led" used as an excuse to be "do-nothing" leaders. The funny thing about both is one thing you cannot doubt is the adult leaders cared for the boys they led. They just wouldn't seem to know the patrol method if BPs ghost visited them when the bell struck 1, 2 and 3!

What I'm asking is what are some of the best methods to starting out on the right path from Day One? When we open, we will probably be looking at about 8 - 10 kids, with the most experienced one being something like a 12 year old 2nd Class. The majority of the troop will be TF or entirely new scouts.

Is an SPL election something to be looking at from the beginning? I know the boy(s) that would be the likely suspects to run, and even though young I feel they would be up to the challenge. Not to the level of a typical SPL in an established troop, but they would definitely appreciate the responsibility of the position. Or in a situation such as this, is an SPL a luxury saved until we have enough for two patrols, so there is some C to a PLC?

Regardless (and this is why I posted it here), the patrol method has to be the backbone of our troop from Opening Day. I feel it is a crime to give a boy a handbook full of promises of adventure when they walk in the door, then offer a completely different program. I have all of the official documentation and manuals about instilling the patrol method, but what are some other ideas you have seen that works in this area for a new troop full of young scouts?

I hope nobody gets the wrong idea about the troop we are starting. We really aren't a bunch of "take our ball and go home" type of people. I received a call and the offer of SM by people who have scouts that are just wanting to do it right. Patrols, patrol yells, patrol flags (and not ones professionally embroidered such as the A.L. troop). The scouts deciding their own meals, and cooking them. Scouts deciding where to go and how to get there instead of adults announcing "where we are going next month". It's almost as if the biggest secret around here is that's where the fun in the program really is, in letting the boys run the program. I see my job as not the one to run it, but to make sure it is run. Sometimes during (Hey SPL, you may want to take care of that), sometimes after (So SPL, what would you do differently?).

Now here is where it gets different, at least from what I read from others who post. I actually have a very supportive District Staff, including a Vigil District Comm who has said he will be available any time I need him. And he is the type of guy to back up those words. I honestly wish others on this forum were as fortunate as I in that regard.

Anyway, thank you very much for the opportunity to ramble as much as I have. I promise my first Scoutmaster's Minute will not take 20. :)

One of the greatest things about starting a new troop is that there are no legacy traditions that come with the package. You and the boys can design the troop you want it to be right from the git-go.

I have had the privilege of starting new units and that is the greatest asset in the pile of options available to you. Sit down with the boys, involve them from the onset and design a troop as they would envision it. Boy led? Sure, why not. No history that says you can't. Patrol method? Sure, why not. No history.... etc.

This way, your young boys can grow with the troop as they have designed it.

The only "problem" with the system is that there are so many options that it can, and probably will, overwhelm the boys at first. So take a little step at a time. Do one little new thing every week. Functional organization should be somewhere in the first few steps. "Should we have a patrol(s)?" "How should the PL be put in place?" "Do we need a Scribe?" "How about...?" etc.

Then move on to the basic programs: "Should we meet every week?", "How often should we go camping?" etc.

Eventually, this process will open the way for future opportunities. If designed effectively for your troop, maybe those questions will never end! Eventually in a few years your boys might be asking, "Should we go to Philmont or Sea Base?"

A "tradition" of the boys taking ownership in every step of the process will create a great program.

Of course one could take another track. Have the parents/leaders design everything the way they think it ought to be and at the first meeting announce that this is the way things are going to shake out. The 11 year old boys will dutifully nod assent just like they have been taught to do when adults are doing all the leadership.

I guess it just boils down to whether you are starting a program, or organizing future leaders......

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

This may sound a little strange, but please go with me. For about the first 6 months, YOU act as the SPL. You guide them, set the example and train them to take over in 6 months. After about a month or so though, you slowly let them taking over and ease the process so that by 6 months, you are sitting outside your tent, reading a book, and drinking coffee responding to all scouts, save one, "Have you asked your PL?" ( with 8-10 scouts, probably best to start off with 1 patrol as BP tried 5 man patrols and decided on 6-8 man patrols).

I know that the above sounds strange, but get yourself a copy of the 3rd edition SM Handbook, both volumes, ASAP and read the section on starting and training a new troop. Green Bar Bill wrote the book, and while you may need to make some slight modifications for today's technology and BSA policies (remember patrols can no longer go camping on their own without an adult like whenthe book was written among other changes), that info is the FOUNDATION of the patrol method.

Good luck!

JBlake brought up a very good point, something that I found was meaningful back in my day and the scuots in my unit loved, as well as the Cubs i'm working with, and trying to install: Traditions.

Look at some of the things that troops did in the past, and ask the scouts if they want to do that. One thing I liked, and my pack may do, is an Investiture Ceremony formally recognizing the new scouts. Another tradition was the use of a tree stump that was cut on either the first campout or first summer camp the troop went on (I know, I know I should remember these things but I'm getting old, but I think it was summer camp) Ditto the Scout Law candlabra that the troop's plankowners made from a log from their first summer camp (I do remember that one ;))

Simple things that may not seem like much, but instill pride and memories. And the best tradition is giving the scouts ownership of their troop, letting them "fail" when you can easily prevent the problem form arising so that they learn and grow.

I would hold a modified and tailored version of Troop Leader Training for all the boys as soon as possible. Focus on how a small troop is organized and what is expected of the youth leadership. You don't need an SPL, ASPL or a Troop Guide right now. I would go with Patrol Leader and Quartermaster as a minimum. If other boys need a POR then make one a Scribe or an Instructor. You do not have to be an expert in everyting, but make sure you get trained yourself.

These new Youth Leaders need know what their jobs are and that no adult will be doing their work for them. Part of your job is to protect these boys from the adults who are trying to relive their childhood or have an overwhelming need to keep things in order by being in control. If you have adults that need to be doing something, get them to do skills instruction during meetings. Do not let them give direct orders to a scout or to the troop as a whole!

Start with some very basic goals for your new troop: camping once a month and recruiting new boys. Recurit an Asst SM and assign this person to working with your feeder pack (if you have one) on the Webelos to Scout transition. Get a good Activities Chair, one who is reliable with making site reservations and filling out any needed Tour Plans.

Stick with the program and have fun! And don't be afraid of making mistakes - that's how you and the boys will learn and grow.

Of course there is going to be strong adult leadership of the SM in the area of training. Hillcourt's training assumes the SM takes on the roll of PL to walk the boys through the steps. Hillcourt's approach is the only effective way of developing the patrol method because of it's emphasis on patrol autonomy. The magic of the approach is the adults knowing how to skillfully slip out of the leadership position, turning it over to the boys and then supporting/reinforcing learning from a supportive position. Too many adults can't handle that transition very well.

Even though it is no longer allowed in BSA policy, there is nothing wrong with the goal of independent activities sans adults. It's called a family outing once the boy turns 18 anyway. :) 45 years ago when independent activities were allowed, we as boys never knew we could. None in my group of buddies was ever first class (after 4 years) and so we were never "allowed" to go out on our own. However, all we did was ask our parents and went anyway. Left the uniforms at home and went and had a great time. Eventually we dropped the scouting altogether and just went hunting/fishing/camping on our own. The group (i.e. "patrol") finally broke up and we went our separate ways at HS graduation.

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

I'm in line with what the others have posted here, but I'd like to add something from my perspective. Another adult leader (our next SM) and I have been working for about 18 months rebuilding the patrol method in a troop that was 100% adult-led advancement-oriented troop method. There were a lot of reasons for that, but I'll skip those now.

You've got a great opportunity here, that is to do it right from the start. I like the 3rd edition Greenbar Bill SM Handbook idea (I bought a set myself), and I've also learned quite a bit from Kudu's site.

With 8-10 Scouts, I'd suggest keeping it simple, just like the others have suggested. One patrol, one PL and a quartermaster. Let them be responsible for outing planning, and the annual calendar. Train them, and encourage them to think big. But they will learn tons more if they do it themselves.

Personally, I'd stay away from car-camping concepts (patrol boxes, carports, etc) and take them on "backcountry" trips from the start. Like Kudu says, a "backcountry" trip might be a half mile off a main road for their first few trips.

A few years back, I was talking with my boyhood SM, who was only 23 or so when he started the troop, and was 25 at the time I had joined. We had a great troop, tons of adventure and fun, so I asked him how he knew how to do that. He responded, "I didn't -- I took training, read the SM handbook, and then tried to put that into practice." I guess I should point out that it was probably a Greenbar Bill handbook, because this would have been 1969 or so when he started the troop.

Guy

I'd definitely like to jump in on Neil's comment --

In the process of trying to jumpstart the patrol method in a troop that didn't know the state it had worked itself into, I've probably spent more time pulling adults aside and telling them "let them do it" than anything else.

Most recent example -- our "senior" guys were attempting to set up a tarp. The troop has had one of those carport monstrosities for a few years and we have a crop of kids who can't tie a taut line hitch, and don't know what a two half hitches is for, or a sheet bend (one Life Scout lengthened a rope by tying another rope to it, with a square knot -- he told me "but it's the 'joining knot'").

They were indeed struggling -- the SM couldn't help himself. After about 90 seconds, he was in the middle of it barking out orders. I had to pull him away twice. He said "but they're doing it wrong!" I said, "they aren't going to learn if you keep telling them how to do it." One of the Scouts is his (new) Eagle Son. :-)

Guy

lrsap,

Congratulations on the new SM position. It can be very challenging, and very rewarding. Good luck!

A few points, as I was in similar shoes back in 2007.

Focus on quality of program, not quantity of boys. If you stay focused on quality program, the rest will take care of itself.

As others have mentioned, get a copy of the 3rd Edition, Scoutmaster Handbook. Read the sections about starting a new Troop and becoming a new SM; they were a great help to me.

Don't worry about an SPL until you have at least 3 patrols. The boys need to learn how to be PLs before they need to worry about being an SPL. In our Troop, the most important leadership position is the PL. The patrol is wear Scouting really happens, and the PL is responsible for that.

As soon as the Troop forms, start planting the seed that Eagle is not the end of the trail. Teach that Eagle is a very high honor, but it is another rank. The highest honor a Scout in our Troop can earn will be the one he receives if he ages out as an active Scout (we are still working on a name and form of this award).

Order a copy of Working The Patrol Method, A Scout Leader's Guide to Youth Leadership Training today - http://www.scoutleadership.com/

It is sort of a modern version of the 3rd Ed. SM HB. I think you will find it very helpful.

Finally, I think one of the most important things we do to instill the Patrol Method is planning and cooking our own meals at Summer Camp, instead of eating in the Dining Hall. A week of working as a team to prepare meals and clean up is one of the best excercises the boys can experience.

"A week of working as a team to prepare meals and clean up is one of the best excercises the boys can experience."

I agree, 100%. I've often said "there is no better team-building exercise than to try and pull off a meal together as a group" (and by that I mean from planning all the way through to cleanup). For that reason, our troop specifically chose a patrol-oriented summer camp last year (and not just patrol cooking!) and will be returning this year.

That was perhaps my biggest complaint about the adult-led troop method...if adults do all the planning, purchasing (SM loves to shop at Costco) and preparation, what are Scouts really learning?

At a cooking competition, at a camporee, I was a judge circulating around to observe groups that were cooking. I was looking for participation, sanitation, etc. One Webelos-III style troop that I saw -- a dad was hovering over the patrol cook, observing every move, and giving direction whenever the Scout looked up, which was often.

Guy

lrsap,

Congratulations on the new SM position. It can be very challenging, and very rewarding. Good luck!

A few points, as I was in similar shoes back in 2007.

Focus on quality of program, not quantity of boys. If you stay focused on quality program, the rest will take care of itself.

As others have mentioned, get a copy of the 3rd Edition, Scoutmaster Handbook. Read the sections about starting a new Troop and becoming a new SM; they were a great help to me.

Don't worry about an SPL until you have at least 3 patrols. The boys need to learn how to be PLs before they need to worry about being an SPL. In our Troop, the most important leadership position is the PL. The patrol is wear Scouting really happens, and the PL is responsible for that.

As soon as the Troop forms, start planting the seed that Eagle is not the end of the trail. Teach that Eagle is a very high honor, but it is another rank. The highest honor a Scout in our Troop can earn will be the one he receives if he ages out as an active Scout (we are still working on a name and form of this award).

Order a copy of Working The Patrol Method, A Scout Leader's Guide to Youth Leadership Training today - http://www.scoutleadership.com/

It is sort of a modern version of the 3rd Ed. SM HB. I think you will find it very helpful.

Finally, I think one of the most important things we do to instill the Patrol Method is planning and cooking our own meals at Summer Camp, instead of eating in the Dining Hall. A week of working as a team to prepare meals and clean up is one of the best excercises the boys can experience.

Yah, I'll echo Eagle92, eh? Youth leadership is a progression, not a sink-or-swim exercise, and as you continue scoutin' you'll find you're always progressing. ;) At da start, they need to see, hear, smell, and taste what good leadership looks like, and you need to get a sense for them and their personalities and skills. Then, as each lad figures out how to manage himself and is ready to start leadin' others, you hand the reins over. If yeh grow a bit da second year it will be nice. Yeh can move from PL of one patrol to havin' youth PLs of two patrols and you bein' like da SPL to havin' youth PLs of 3 patrols and a youth SPL and you as instructor/guide to full-up youth stuff as you move along.

In each case, it becomes an honor and a privilege to be selected to serve as a youth leader, because that means you're steppin' up into a role that was worthy of an adult, eh? Or down the road, worthy of an older, way-cool scout.

The goal is to get to the goal, eh? Not immediately, but to always keep it in sight and ask "What's the next step?" Slow and steady progress and you'll get there before yeh know it.

Finally, don't forget da parents. Yeh need to spend as much time getting them to understand and take the next step toward the goal as yeh do the kids. Sometimes more.

Beavah

Neil, you are right that I shouldn't drop a comment like "...'boy-led' used as an excuse to be 'do-nothing' leaders..." without a bit of an explanation. When I actually read it again, it may have been a bit to harsh of a phrase to use. What I mean by this is the boys in the troop were hardly doing anything that resembled a troop meeting. There wasn't much scouting going on at all. If it weren't for the Oath and Law at the beginning, there wouldn't be much difference between the meeting and kids hanging out at a bus stop. Boys are leaving because they are bored. And when you ask the leaders why they don't get with the youth leadership to right the ship, the response is, "We are boy-led. It's their job to put the program together". Then they go back to sitting on their hands and watching nothing happen.

Truth is, after I read my original post, it makes me wish I hadn't brought up the negatives of the other two troops. Truth is, some good friends are getting together to start a Boy Scout troop, and that's a good thing. I think my adult camping patrol will be named the No Drama Patrol.

And I must say I definitely appreciate the replies and ideas provided by everyone. I need to hit EBay t see if I can find one of thse 3rd Edition books. And Beavah, I really got some perspective from your post. I've been so focused on the first two months, and I need to start working on more of my long range planning. And as you said, it is truly an honor that I have been considered to fill the role.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is a good read. lrsap, if you get the chance can you post how things are going from time to time? I think it would be quite educational. I've work many hats, but never the SM one, so I just reading and learning :) Good luck with the new troop.