Custom Patrol Patches

(chuckle) I know many a patrol in many a troop in my area that would fail these uniform inspections other talk about if we conducted them at district events (which we don't).

Some of them use Canadian Patrol Patches ("wildlife crests"--see: http://www.scoutshop.ca/eSolution/catalogue2/?data=010203&template=1&path_spacer=%26nbsp%3B%26bull%3B%26nbsp%3B&num_cols=3&entry=40).

Others have custom embroidered ones that are 1.75 inches in diameter--smallest size they could order through the company they went through.

I guess we've got a lot of sharp looking scouts not in "official" uniform. (shrug) But at least they've got a lot of patrol spirit--which happens to be something we DO judge at district events.

I like Stosh's idea.

I just had to order some special patrol patches off the internet. Fortunately, patchtown.com had what I was looking for in their stock selection. They have a much larger selection than the BSA supply division.

• 2 months later...

Last I knew supply still sells blank patrol patchs.

I do like the idea of large patrol patch on the temp patch location, however if somebody had told me I must wear a patrol patch there when I was a kid I'dd a told them to jump, to this day that shirt has my summer camp patch and segments, this was in an era where dangle patchs were rare and looked down on.

Now a patrol neckerchief, that idea is a winner! The boys at summer camp want to change their patrol name, I think mostly because the boys that chose it are long gone. Being able to do a neckerchief might appeal to them.

Guess I'm UP enough to not like the idea of oversized patrol patchs.

I don't like the idea of a patrol necker. The tradition worldwide has been for the necker to identify the troop.

I have the same problem with summer camps handing out neckers that set a scout apart from his troop(This message has been edited by bnelon44)

I have to agree with the folks who would encourage them to keep it within the bounds of the uniform specification.

The way I learned it, it went something like this.

A Scout is Obedient. A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them.

I totally agree that there are appropriate times and circumstances for civil disobedience. I don't see this as being one of them.

I'm with the conformists on this one. It's a uniform, not a costume.

And here's another thing about custom patrol names/patches.... Creativity is wonderful - and I appreciate acerbic and irreverent humor. But I cringe at jokey patrol names.... -Come on gentlemen, irreverent humor is fun, but in the big picture, a scout is reverent. Your patrol name is not the time and place to display mordant, caustic, or scatological wit. Fun? Yes! But with a sense of decorum and pride. And please - spare me the funny patrol yells - they are not funny after the gazillionth time... oh yea, I forget - to you they are.. - come on guys, grow a prefrontal cortex!"

(This message has been edited by Callooh! Callay!)

Last time I checked the rules state custom patches can be used as long as they are the same size, background color, and only use 2 thread colors.

Our SM runs an advertising agency. He occasionally will have his art people create a custom design for a patrol and then have patches made which are of the correct size but may have more than 2 thread colors. We go through the local scout store to get them made. The scout store has at least 5 of our troops patrol patches on display as alternate to the standard patch.

The uniforming guide allows for custom patches. It is easy to follow the rules and still have custom. No need to go rogue with odd shapes and sizes.

Would one of you who has knowledge of the BSA rule regulating Patrol Emblems by size and numbers of colors please give me a citation to the rule? I have to do a session on "Uniforming" at a training course. It does not seem to be in the current Insiognia Guide page on "Patrol Emblems" (p. 19). A search of "patrol emblems" using the pathetic "search" feature at Scouts.org produced many hits about religious emblems, but nothing about patrol emblems.

I found regulations covering "designs incorporating Boy Scouts of America trademark words, phrases, symbols or mottoes." But I have not seen a Patrol Emblem with "Boy Scouts of America trademark words, phrases, symbols or mottoes."(This message has been edited by TAHAWK)