Custom Patrol Patches

In an effort to boost Patrol Spirit, our PLC has designed custom patrol patches which are larger and more colorful than the standard BSA patches.

This seemed like a great idea and the guys are very excited.

Now I learn there is a requirement that all patrol patches must conform to BSA's standard small round template.

Your thoughts?

Guess your patrols will be out of uniform.

Do you compete in any contests where the boys are graded on uniforming?

If they like the patches, it may be worth risking the loss in points.

I encourage custom patrol patches, but we always have them fit the standard circle.

I would not want to dampen the guys' enthusiasm, though. Were they told they could do any shape or size that they wanted? How much larger are we talking? Is it a different shape? How long would you expect these patrol patches would be around (do you change patrol names every six months, or every six decades)?

I'd go back to the TwoCub Doctrine: Pride and Enthusiasm trump uniform rules and guidelines.

That's your PLC's call. I'd stick with the standard size b/c A) those are the regs, and B) it will hurt the patrol if they have uniform inspections as part of events, like district and council camporees.

FYI national supply DID have a policy that they would beat or match the price of embroidery companies for custom work. Don't know if that's still the case, but may be something to look into.

Their call. You informed them of the rules and consequences, let them decide.

Back in the day, my patrol designed a rectangular patch as it fit our roadrunner drawing. We too were informed after a dozen patches were made.

"There will be rain on your parade Roadrunner patrol."

"We have ponchos."

I would rather have Brave scouts over Obedient scouts when it comes to stupid rules.

Best patrol ever.

My $0.02,

Mike F and fellow Scouters,

Just my opinion....

I would be happy to see a Patrol wearing the same custom patch (in good taste) regardless if it was larger than the standards BSA 1.5 inch round. At least they are thinking like a patrol.

They should have a flag and cheer to go along with the patrol patch, and begin holding Patrol meetings as well!! It could become contagious!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

"I would rather have Brave scouts over Obedient scouts when it comes to stupid rules."

I did not know the Scout Law was multiple choice, taking three from column A and two from column B

Who gets to decide what are stupid rules?

We talk about people who do not beleive the rules apply to them and wonder how they got that way and then we decide which stupid rules we will not obey

Perhaps our example is so loud they can't hear what we say

We have met the enemy, and he is US

Yeah yeah yeah its only a patrol medallion, its only the uniform, they kids love the patches death by a thousand papercuts

I agree with OGE. Is there a reason you couldn't use the standard BSA sized patrol patch? I've seen many colorful, fun, unique designs on that sized emblem. Seems like that would be the easiest way to have the best of both worlds - morale-boosting custom patches, and still being in official uniform.

Isn't recognizing stupid rules and working to change them part of the obedient part of the Scout law anymore?

As long as they fit on the sleeve and aren't overwheming, I'd be inclined to let a Patrol wear a Patrol designed patch. Yes - I would let the patrol break that rule because cohesion among the Patrol is more important to me than whether the Patrol is wearing a 1.5" round patch. Uniforming is a Method of Scouting, it's not an Aim, and I defy anyone to rationally explain how a Patrol wearing a square Patrol emblem on their sleeve won't be instantly recognizable as Boy Scouts by someone else.

Who gets to decide what are stupid rules?

You do.

There is a proud tradition to civil disobedience. Also a long tradition of pretend speed limits. Riddle: What's the most common legal lie these days?...."I have read and agree to the terms and conditions ..."

Have a full-pocket sized patrol emblem and afix it on the right shirt pocket.

Have a patrol necker (with patrol patch on it), wear when doing patrol activities, switch to troop standards for troop activities. Wear it in the belt when not in use, like the OA guys do with their sashes (like they're not supposed to be doing).

Go with a patrol hat with bright colorful patrol patch on front. Take hat off as necessary if troop doesn't have an official hat as part of the uniform.

Afix the patrol patch to an elastic armband and take it off for inspections.

A walking stick with patrol colors might work well for some.

There is more than one way to skin a cat and still be within regs.

One doesn't need to have a special patch to instill patrol spirit.

One does not have to break any rules, just bend them a bit.

Stosh