Looks like a change in what a patrol can do:

From the new G2SS posted at http://scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416.pdf:

1. Two-deep leadership. Two registered adult leaders, or

one registered leader and a parent of a participating Scout

or other adult, one of whom must be 21 years of age or

older, are required for all trips and outings. There are a few

instances, such as patrol activities, when the presence of

adult leaders is not required and adult leadership may be

limited to training and guidance of the patrol leadership.

With the proper training, guidance, and approval by the

troop leaders, the patrol can conduct day hikes and service

projects. Appropriate adult leadership must be present for

all overnight Scouting activities; coed overnight activities

even those including parent and childrequire male and

female adult leaders, both of whom must be 21 years of

age or older, and one of whom must be a registered

member of the BSA. The chartered organization is

responsible for ensuring that sufficient leadership is

provided for all activities.

Cue the Kudu horn...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they didn't out right kill the Patrol events.. But they did give it a crew cut.. I guess I have mix feelings, I am happy to see they did not kill it all together as the rumors were hinting at..

So find large camping areas, so you can camp at 300 ft, where it use to be a Patrol outing I guess..

I was thoroughly trounced and jumped on last year when I tried to do this with the troop. One of the committee members almost had a coronary and the district people shot it down with multiple SAM's.

Mebbe we should just never let 'em out of the crib... ;-)

Same here, CA, and that was just for mentioning the idea - not actually advocating for it. But you know, those cribs are mighty dangerous. Saw a news report just yesterday about the number of crib injuries each year (most, apparently, from the kid trying to climb out and falling).

So I'm kind of thinking that we should also wrap the kids in a nice thick layer of bubble wrap, just in case.

Oh, I understand CA & Lisabob.. My husband & I disagree on this issue, he thinks it should be wiped off the books (so will not be happy that it still is partially on there) He's all for Patrol outings, but not without the adult supervision.. I know our COR would not go for it either.

I also don't see many troops with parents who would sign permission & wavers over this type of outing..

Still I like to see it on the books, and avaliable for those diehard very rare troops with an adventerous soul from parent, to Adult Leader, to scout..

For the more common troop with the Parents who want to bubble wrap the kids.. If at least they have Adult leaders & kids who would love to do this one day.. It is an ultimum goal that they get to strive for.. The scouts that are so skilled, and mature that they can someday, put the parents worries to rest...

--- Fixed grammar ---

I'm not a fan of unsupervised Patrol Outings anyway...but this struck me as odd....

"The chartered organization is responsible for ensuring that sufficient leadership is

provided for all activities. "

Huh? Really? Was this there before?

From what I can tell, there are CO's out there that barely have any involvement at all in the Troop, and they are supposed to ensure supervision?

Sounds like BSA trying to shift liability from themselves to the CO's.(This message has been edited by Engineer61)

Regarding the CO and ensuring leadership for outings...

There's also a subtle change in the new Tour Planning Worksheet that replaces the old Local Tour Permits. Previously, the outing leader and any unit committee member needed to sign the form. Now, the outing leader and either the Committee Chair or Chartered Org. Representative need to sign.

This is patently obscene.

I guess if my boys are going on patrol for real, they will have to leave the Troop.

Oh, and if me and my buddy are the only Venturing dads who want to take our daughters backpacking, we'll just leave the crew for the day.

At roundtable our DE, introduced the tour plan and insisted it was to be filed for any gathering outside of your Charter org. location. I lit into him in front of everyone (and I really like this guy). Do you have any idea how many crew meetings are at local coffee shops?

As Kudu has been warning us for a while now, boy scouting is on a downward spiral to becoming a glorified kiddy club. Thank God my kids are done with boy scouts the whole organization under Mazzuca's leadership has become just a shell of its former self, without any real substance. What's next, the only merit badges you will need for Eagle will be indoor activities without ever going camping or hiking in the woods?

Thank you CSE Mazzuca for driving yet another nail into the coffin of what once was a dynamic, leader building,outdoor oriented organization and turning it into a club of momma's boys.

It really is a sad,sad, mad ,mad world.

But with so many Troops in the area where I live just relying on District and Council events to fill the outdoor part of the program they offer, this change isn't going to make much of a difference.

Maybe the BSA can come up with a video game that allows Scouts to experience a virtual Patrol Camp?

But I'm thinking the G2SS would in bold print say that only an adult could plug it in.

Ea.