Banned Items on Camping Trips

Horizon, it is wonderful to read your post--glad to hear sheath knives still have a place in scouting. For whatever reason, in the mid '80s, there was an anti-sheath knife movement (at least where I was at) that seemed to spread throughout many areas.

(As a scout I carried a Buck sheath knife, 102, that served me well for many years.)

As for the pop tart/ramen "bans": working at troop level in the '80s, we prohibited these items from patrol menus on car/tailgate campouts. If the scouts had their full patrol box, we wanted them to actually cook something instead of snack. If they cooked a "real" breakfast, it was fine to have pop tarts between meals. On more rugged trips, they were allowed any time.

I have no problem with SM "bans" if they promote a richer scouter experience for all, and doesn't violate policy or law. If any man or woman takes on the mantle of SM, they should be entitled to establish a few personal standards/hobby horses that bolsters their leadership style and outlook.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'77,

While national doesn't prohibit sheath knives, just strongly discourages them, some councils have banned them from council properties (looks like my lodge's OA ceremony team may need to rethink the scalping knives one or two carry as my council has banned them ;) ) Also some local laws prohibit them, i.e. Cary, NC ( I wonder how restaurants deal with that law :) )

'77, i tottally disagree. If a SM becomes a SM for the right reasons, then that scoutmaster would want anything that the scouts beleive that would enrich their scouting experience. In my opinion a SM is there to make sure that the scouts program is not unhealthy nor unsafe, and because Ramen noodles are not unsafe nor unhealthy (For a lunch on one campout once a month) then the SM has no place in placing a ban in territory that he is oversteping his boundries on

SPL1Warwick

• 1 month later...

I agree with Sailing, cell phone may not get a signal. Been in that situation before.

For those units that do ban electronics, and I do see a reason for doing that IF, stressing the IF, the PLC goes along with it, I woudl advise doing the UK's Duke of Edinburgh Award Program's way of dealing with cell phones when their folks are on their expeditions WITHOUT ANY ADULTS (caps for emphasis as the the BSA is currently NOT the only program in the world that allows young men and women to go out on their own): cell phones are sealed in a water proof container insuch a way that if a cell phone is used, they must break the seal, negating the expediation SAVE an emergency. My understanding form DoE recipients is that the cell phone seal is checked both before goign out, to make sure it cannot be opened with the seal being broken, and when they come in.

Engineer,

If you want your son to take a cell phone for emergencies, then a) be prepared for him to lose or destroy it, and b) make sure he knows to turn it OFF when he leaves the house and not turn it ON again until he gets home, unless he needs to use it for an emergency.

This isn't to preserve the troop's outdoor experience, it's to preserve the cell phone's battery. A cell phone that can't find a signal will constantly send out pings, looking for a cell tower. If it doesn't find one, it will drain it's battery within a couple of hours. Then when he needs to use it and manages to find a ridge where he can pick up a cell tower, well, phone's dead, no battery, and your son just wasted precious time hiking up to the top of the ridge to try and get a call out.

The Scouts made the "Bans" in our troop. No electronics at all at first.

(current rule) Then it went to MP3's and ipods in your tent at night but low enough no one else can hear it. You may have your cell phone but it must be turned off and put away (so why bring it because 4 leaders brought theirs in case of emergency).

Last weekend on a hike we stopped to rest and I noticed 2 scouts listening to their ipod. later back at camp 2 other scouts phones were ringing. ASLP told them to put their phones away and I catch him talking on his later.

Looks like the SLP will have to put some scouts on dish duty next camping trip.

Our troop used to ban all electronics. Annually, we have an Electronic Camp, which the scouts see as a reward system where each member of the patrol gets to bring one electronic device. We typically have a contest prior to the camp, and any patrol reaching the goal is also permitted to bring a 6 outlet surge protector.

Now, don't laugh, but we've had patrols bring a tv, game system, ipod, heater (it's our January camp), and the like. They have a blast. We get near 100% participation.

I say they see it as a reward camp. As SM, I used it to transition the troop from an adult-run to boy-run troop. After the first year, I sat the PLC down and reviewed the incredible amount of teamwork that went into it. I told them my expectations for each camping trip were the same--patrol teamwork!

Fast forward a bit. We have struggled on other outings with scouts sneaking a cellphone or ipod. It really made the whole "A scout is Trustworthy" bit challenging. So, we are considering the Tech Chit.

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/award/tech_chip-2052.asp

It hasn't been put into place yet, so stay tuned.

Oh yeah, in case you wanted to read more about Electronic Camp, see this:

http://carlisletroop189.com/electronic-camp-recap/

http://carlisletroop189.com/electronic-camp-update/

I wish I could fly at 300'...

Hovering right about 18" in a hammock...

Fuzzie

No disrespect but my opinion is Scouts and leaders can put down the electronics 1 weekend a month for camping and 1.5 hours a week for the meeting. I run a small business and If I can turn my phone off certainly the Scouts can. I have never lost business and I have actually got closer to some customers after expaining why I did not answer their call.

Troop22,

I don't disagree...

We've chosen a different course right now, but that could change.

Our CO is a limestone church...those thick walls take care of the issue for us during meetings :-)

Our usual camps are out of cell range; Mother Nature solves the problem.

For those camps in cell range, a couple of leaders built a Troop solar charger (external outlet, with a solar light glued to it, strapped to a tree), charging $5/hr to charge cell phones. So far, no scout has been duped...but I regret to report at summer camp last year, no less than 5 scouters saw me with my laptop "plugged" into the solar charger and commented on how cool that technology was. I bet their troop committee meetings are fun!

Hovering right about 18" in a hammock...

Fuzzie

Engineer61 --

I had written a fairly rational response to your suggestion that the fatality in Florida justified all Scouts having a cell phone regardless of troop policy. As I frequently do, before hitting submit I went back and re-read your post. I picked up on one of you comments caused me to go back and delete my original, rational response:

"I'm inclined to say SM-be damned...."

I'm inclined to say don't let the scout hut door hit you in the butt. If you can't support the troop leadership and don't think they have the best interest and safety of the boys at the fore, then man-up and quit. Don't teach you son to be a weazel and sneak a phone when he has been asked not to.

SM-be damned.... what I'm really inclined to say isn't printable.

If it were up to me...he would be out....but it's not...

I just have to sit on the sideline and deal with consequences of an expensive hobby that as yet has not had a positive impact....

...and causes me to lose sleep.

Both my boys carry cell phones to school...for emergencies and to get ahold of us if they need to after school...there are no payphones and they are not allowed to use school phones.

Phones are off during the class day.(This message has been edited by Engineer61)

Back in the day there were no such thing as cell phones, ipods, mp3s etc. and everyone was able to survive without them - and I do mean survive even if you had half of your leg cut off.

Back in the day there was not much mention of the lame excuse ADD/ADHD because kids went outside and played all day and weren't couch potatoes playing xbox, ps3 or wii. Some may truly have ADD/ADHD but I'm very skeptical about most.

I see the "need" for kids having these items as an excuse or a kid's pacifier, if you will. Take the toy away and the kid and parent will cry and complain.

My son came crying and complaining to me because he got in trouble because of his phone (that the ex got him) at a camp. I wasn't able to make that particular outing or I would have taken his phone. When he came to me about the situation after the fact, I told him that if he had to have his phone then turn it off and save the battery.

I don't give a sam hill one way or the other about the electronics except when I can hear the junk they call music or it disrupts with the activity that is planned. And don't come to me about a device that is lost, stolen, broken or needs charged. If stolen, I'll tell you that you've made something that wasn't my problem in the first place my problem and that you shouldn't have brought the item to begin with.