what I did this weekend

I love "what I did this weekend" posts -- there are always great ideas to be gleaned from them, and from other posts in this forum. For example, Bryan S. has been a great help to me, providing guidance on developing a youth leader training weekend --

Which is exactly what I did this last weekend. The bottom line is that we have an adult-led, troop method, advancement-oriented troop with fairly non-functional patrols, and another adult (our heir-apparent SM) and I ran a youth leader training program for prospective PLs and SPLs. I know this will stick in some craws, but we strongly suggested (without saying "required") that those interested in PoRs this next year should attend.

The weekend went very well, not perfectly, and I think there was some value for everyone. The desire is to jump start the PLC and patrol to be functional. It happened organically, without a real plan, but I offered a series of challenges to this group of Scouts. The list includes:

- take over leadership of the troop, via the PLC

- create a patrol program (meetings, outings and advancement)

- run patrols using the National Honor Patrol criteria

- take back ownership of the annual program plan

Of course, this was a learning experience for me, and we're not going to be able to change troop culture overnight. But it seems to me that to have a set of strategic goals is a first good step. It's also interesting that I am seeing the natural leaders emerge, and that some of them are the natural "troublemakers" in the troop.

Guy

My sons had the opportunity to shake hands with Baden Powell. OK, a guy who portrays him. We were at the Star Spangled Camporee at Ft. McHenry in Maryland. 6,000 scouts celebrating the 100th anniversary at the birtplace of our national anthem.

Yea, it was pretty cool.

GK,

If the SM is not on-board, you will find it difficult to implement or be consistent, but I agree getting the PLC and planning into the Boys hand is a great start.

If the SM came on your training weekend, and was around when you laid out the Patrol/PLC/Youth led Scout program, ..... :)

If he wasn't there,....... :((This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Mr Adams --

(BTW, I grew up in Xenia, part of your home council, and worked at Camp Birch for 3 summers -- I'd guess you know my old SM, who goes by RJ)

Unfortunately, the SM wasn't there. He's an avid hunter (and at the moment is at Philmont on a "relationship development" elk hunt, whatever that means) and is rarely around in the fall. A year ago, I waited around to see what would happen with the troop, and nothing happened. The first outdoor event, since the beginning of August, was a Sunday morning trebuchet building event in November). The first overnight was at the end of January. So, August to January, no overnight camping!

The SM has pretty much given the other adult leader and I free reign in terms of organization and training. While the SM has been saying "we're working on that" in terms of reintroducing the troop to the patrol method for the last three years, I finally decided to do something about it. Hence the "back to basics" weekend training, and the new challenges.

But I get what you're saying. If the SM isn't on board with the idea, and the followup, then the plan won't work. We are taking a risk on this.

I suspect the SM is on his way out, and is slowly stepping away. His son is a senior in HS, and is due to finish his Eagle project just before he turns 18 in February. We have a high adventure canoe trip scheduled for next August, and I think the SM is targeting that for his last trip.

Guy

My "weekend" started today as I purchased some of the stuff for cracker barrel for this weekend's event. Well, technically, it started months ago when I signed-up to be on subcamp staff for "Scoutfest", our council's BSA 100th Anniv. Celebration. More cracker-barrel stuff will be purchased tomorrow--National Guard will be setting-up our HQ tents tomorrow, but alas, I have to be elsewhere when they arrive--another rep from our district subcamp will be there. Then on Thurs., I will layout the campsites for our district's 425 (and rising) scouts/leaders representing 32 registered units and then jump in to help the other four districts layout theirs (our district has the largest number preregistered). Total number of campers, 1,400. Fireworks on Friday. Scouting events for all age levels of scouting all day Saturday. Laser show Sat. night. Assorted church services Sun morning, a service project and then everyone goes home...Except us staff volunteers as we'll be there a bit longer to disassemble stuff/clean-up/pack-out everything that makes it go smoother for when "you" when you attend Friday through Sunday.

Edit: Forgot to mention that in addition to the above weekenders, we've got at least 2,500 day visitors registered to attend on Saturday.(This message has been edited by moxieman)

Hey GK

I do know RJ, he recently did the "Cooking demos" for the Outdoor Leader Skills weekend at Birch. I was chairing the Outdoor Webelos Leader training and both courses were at the fire pit by the training lodge for that part. In fact, RJ was a fellow Troop Guide on the Wood Badge course I served on last year.

RJ is one of those Scouters I try to pay attention to when he talks or runs a demo, because he's probably forgotten more than I will ever learn.

Were you one of his Scouts when he got into Scuba?

Some of my best ideas as a Scouter have come from my memories with his troop. :-) As far as I'm concerned, I still consider him my Scoutmaster, and he's been a great help in recent years, via email conversations. One thing I did recently was to organize a weekend patrol leader training course, which I did with RJ about 35 years ago.

And no, unfortunately, I aged out about a year before his first trip to Seabase. He started the troop in '69, I think, and I joined in '71. I had such a great time.

Want a note of irony: in two weeks, I'm going to be doing the cooking demo for OWL. :-)

Meanwhile: this last weekend, I showed up at a district training day, just in case they needed extra hands for training, or assistance or anything. Light day, with no walk-ins, therefore I didn't have anything to do. So I just sat with my WB21C troop guide (who is married to the district training chair) and talked about life, the universe and everything (including my ticket progress).

Guy