Can a SM remove the SPL from his position?

I just did.... remove the SPL from his position.

I immediately removed him from his leadership position and suspended him from all Troop activities. A short time later, the Committee expelled him from the Troop. Once parents heard what he did, they concurred 100% and said if we had not acted as we did, they would have pulled their sons from the Troop. A number of Scouts were grateful as well, as they now feel safe knowing that the Scout Law is something we do, not just say.

It's been dark days for the Troop, but sometimes the only way to find the light is to act quickly and decisively.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am on the horns of a dilemma, so to speak, and would like a little feedback from you all.   Our troop went to summer camp. The SPL had been elected only a few weeks before. He wasn't my first ch

Kudu, This may make you mad, as my troop's method does not seem to coincide 100% with BP, but here's how it went and it did work out beautifully for us.   Patrols elected their own PLs. In orde

"Fake Leadership kicks this rugged Patrol Scoutcraft out of Wood Badge and replaces it with boxes of tissue for weepy Wolf Den Leaders."   Good one Kudu.   I have to clean the coffee off my key

As a SM of a boy-led patrol-method program, all youth leadership is arbitrary. :)

If a boy steps up to the plate and functions as a POR he gets credit for it. If they are functionally operating as a QM they get credit for it. No one wears a POR patch unless they earn it with extended leadership functionality.

For advancement? If a boy functions as the PL for 6 months and has enough "evidence" of his accomplishments during that time, he can go before the BOR and tell his story. The patch on his shirt says nothing other than the fact that his mother can sew. After 6 months of PL work he can then put the POR patch on because he is no longer doing what he's doing to "earn" something, he's doing it because he wants to do it and is enjoying it.

I have two boys vying for the position of PL right now. Both are doing PL level work at the same time on different projects that are coming up.

I have only one boy doing a job with a patch and that is Chaplain's Aide, a job he's been doing now for over a year. He started as a TF and has just turned FC and will now start getting some "credit" for his efforts.

I have all my boys at different times taking on leadership projects which would qualify them for Star rank and even my TF scout has an equal opportunity to take on any of these projects, he doesn't have to do it for "advancement" but can do it for fun and the experience. This TF's last "project" was to organize a Saturday AM service project which he did a nice job on. Picked the date, organized the crews, arranged the rides and such. Nice experience for him to pick up a few pointers he may need somewhere down the road, like maybe for an Eagle project some day?

As a SM I generally don't get much of an opportunity to install and/or remove any leadership in my boy-led program. The boys themselves seem to be doing a fairly good job of monitoring that by themselves. If So-and-so isn't doing the job/work, someone else has the right/opportunity to step up and take over the reins.

Cream always floats to the top.

Stosh