NYLT - Rethinking support...

You got it!

Any scout that feels their "leader" is taking care of them, they'll follow him anywhere and do anything for him. Any scout that feels their "leader" is taking care of only themselves and their buddies, will find someone else to follow.

This is why good TG's and DC's make such great leaders.

Stosh

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - I've been involved with my council's NYLT program for 10 years now. Before 2004 or so, the NYLT program was called "Junior Leader Training Conference" or JLTC. Our council ran the new NYLT program for the first time in 2005. Both program were very similar - week long, resident camp setting, with leadership skills sessions and other activities.

However, there were differences between JLTC and the new NYLT courses. The JLTC course was basically divided into "leadership sessions" and "scout skills sessions." The leadership sessions were very theoretical, and did not always obviously relate directly to Scouting. To see what I mean, just consider the titles of the sessions - "Knowing and Using the Resources of the Group," "Understanding the Needs and Characteristics of the Group," etc. The scout skills sessions tended to be very good - but were not *directly* tied to the leadership sessions.

When the new NYLT course came out, it represented a great improvement (in my opinion) in the way the course was delivered. There was much more continuity and connection between the different leadership sessions. There are now a few overriding themes throughout the week that all activities tie into in some way. Also, the leadership skill sessions are coordinated with the scout skills training in a more direct way. The course is also structured in such a way that scouts are able to immediately apply new leadership and outdoor skills.

The new course also made use of technology in what I think is an effective way. Multimedia slides, pictures and videos are used in conducting the leadership skills sessions. GPS devices are introduced both as vehicles for developing effective teaching and training skills, and for use in the outpost camp activity.

Management lectures? Yes, leadership and management are inter-related, and this thread has discussed the similarities and differences between the two. The content delivered at an NYLT course is most definitely is applicable outside of the Scouting context, and could be applied to business settings. I don't think that there's anything wrong with that - leadership is leadership, whether its occurring at a Scout camp, on a job site, in a conference room, on a sports field, or anywhere else. However, if your Scouts were coming home from NYLT thinking that the course was *entirely* devoted to management, I would have concerns about the quality of that council's program.

So, I guess I'm surprised that your scout's responded better to the older course rather than the new one. Without trying to cast "blame" on anyone, maybe there are problems with your council's youth or adult staff enthusiasm or knowledge. Although all NYLT courses use a common syllabus, each council's course takes on its own unique identity, and maybe your course's traditions, etc, are harming the delivery of the course. Whatever the reason, its a shame that your scout's are getting the most out of what should be a very valuable experience.

Perhaps consider visiting your council's course next time it is offered, and evaluate its quality first-hand. Also, consider sending your scout's to a neighboring council's course if you are unhappy with your council's.