Updates on strengthening the Patrol Method

As many of you have read, I have tried to keep you posted on the growth and development occurring in our troop, and I would like to offer a few updates.

Troop.

Our troop is up to 25 (from 11 active just 4 months ago). Obviously such growth comes with new scouts, and a significant amount of focus must be given to ensure their continued interest and involvement (more on that below). Since March, we have recruited 4 new ASMs, and 2 new committee members, but just as importantly, we have had 2 of our ASMs who are/were jointly Pack leaders paticipate more actively with the unit. All 8 these are scheduled to attend SM training next Saturday, which I have organized (leaders from other troops will attend as well).

Our troop was divided into 3 patrols with an SPL and ASPL. The SPL, about whom I have spoken often, has chosen to step down due to a series of commitments this summer and a busy end of school year. He was placed in a patrol (he is Life and still a den chief). The ASPL (who was SPL a year ago) has stepped up, but he will have sports commitments by the end of the summer. Though a reasonable leader, he could stand significant improvement in organizational skills.

Patrols.

My goal has been to see a strong and effective patrol system in our troop, and to see that the scouts see themselves as a member of a patrol first, and that their and other patrols make up the troop. All our patrol leaders have completed the Green Bar Training, which was conducted in the fall/winter. It went fairly well, but I can see where improvements can be made the next time it is offered. Patrols are largely made up of two or three "experienced" scouts, and 4 to 6 brand new scouts. Obviously, these patrols need a degree of encouragement and assistance. The ratios are just too steep for the patrol to function without a degree of guidance and support.

We have been strongly encouraging our patrols in two particular areas. First, we have promoted the National Honor Patrol. All the patrols are close to achieving this, but one missed their monthly window for meetings and must "start over." The other two should complete the requirements by summer camp (end of June). The second area of "focus" has been for patrol leaders to work with their scouts on advancement, specifically Tenderfoot. For scouts who crossed over on March 1, it is not unreasonable to see that they have completed this rank by June.

We are working to assign an ASM to each patrol to assist and support the PL. This level of adult association is not our ultimate goal, and I would very much like to see our scout's leadership skills develop to the point that we can "reassign" the ASMs to other duties soon. As and example, one patrol has a PL who is a second year scout (15 months in the troop) and he has one other scout (a third year), but who is semi-active, and has few real support skills. The remaining 6 scouts are green and, though they all came out of the same Webelos den and are friends, they have had some personality conflicts and small but noteworthy discipline issues which a 1 year scout is unprepared to handle. Having an ASM who can mentor the PL and facilitiate the scouts (to follow/work with the PL) is necessary. Over time, this relationship will decrease as the scouts gain skills and become more self sufficient. The dynamic of the other patrols nearly identical.

We have also asked that each patrol conduct their own campout (with adult/parental attendance) sometime before summer is over. The skills these patrols have developed enables them to go out on their own and camp with a minimal amount of support. Two patrols have begun this planning process.

In other good news, one of our scouts is today off to NYLT. This is significant, as our council has yet to host this program, and his is being driven nearly 400 miles to a course. He understands our focus on patrol method, and he and I have discussed the course and he is prepared, though at 13 he is young. When he returns from the NJ in August, he will likely step into the expected vacant SPL role in advance of September elections.

Progress is slow. Getting the new leaders to understand the program and to grasp how we are trying to implement it is always a challenge. As always, I would encourage feedback and any ideas of how to tweak the program to get the most out of it.