Teaching the Patrol Method to new Scoutmasters

Our training staff is looking at ways of teaching the Patrol Method to new Scoutmasters using the existing BSA training materials and manuals. We have developed an outline of supplimental material that we can insert into SM Specific training. We would like some feedback on our efforts. Comments?

Teaching the Patrol Method in the Troop - course outline

http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/TeachingthePatrolMethodoutline.doc

Teaching the Patrol Method in the Troop - handout

http://bsatroop14.com/patrolmethod/TeachingthePatrolMethodintheTroop.doc

Not to be overly pedantic, but if you are teaching SM/ASM Position Specific training, you need to stick to the syllabus.

On the other hand, as a troop program, or even as supplemental training for Roundtable, this looks great. I'd like to use it with the ASMs in out troop. Can you post a fleshed-out version of the syllabus?

I think you have written a very good guide and I don't want to take away from that, but I think its too long, and here is why I say that:

When I was the District Boy Scout trainer, I used to poll adults all the time to find out what materials they were using and I found that less than 40% of the scoutmaster even read their SMH. I think it was actually far less than that. And I found that the ASMs were half of that.

The thing is that most adults think they already know most of what is being presented or written, so they may glance of gaze through it, but they aren't going to give the time for reading the whole thing. Lets face it, the Scoutmasters Handbook is one of the best sleeping pills a person can take.

I used to ask my participants to ust read the Patrol Leaders Handbook and SPL Handbook because those are fairly short easy reads and they pretty much give most of what the scoutmasters need from the SM Handbook.

I'm not trying to say you did it wrong or its not good stuff, it certainly is. But if you want it to make an impact, start cutting it down to the bare bones. Turn it into a reference guide or proceedures guide to improving patrol method in a troop. Kind of check list of what the troop should be doing to go in that direction.

I hope that helps, I really like what you wrote and hate to even comment, but I'm kind of excited with what you have done here and would like to see it spread out beyound your District.

Barry

Twocubdad, a Roundtable session would make the most sense. And as a handout to Scoutmasters or perhaps a newsletter article.

Barry, the outline was the first step at cutting it down to bullet points. I think your ideas of a checklist is a good one. I will see what we can do. Hillcourt had a few good checklists if I remember correctly maybe they can be updated? Let me look into it.

I think the 10 minute presentations at roundtable would supplement (refresher training for veteran scouters) what should be taught during Outdoor Leader Skills and leadere specific training.

Gonzo

Note: Outdoor Leader Training does not currently teach the Patrol Method and a new syllabus will be coming out this Spring that merges Webelos, Boy Scout, Varsity and Venturing Outdoor Leader Skills Training into one IOLS course. The Patrol Method will *not* be taught in the course because it will be a "one size fits all" course. Note that currently, what happens in a Patrol Meeting and what a Patrol Leader's job is, outside of following what the PLC wants to do, is not covered in SM Specific training.

bnelon44,

The last time I was on staff for IOLS was about 3 or 4 years ago.

I can't imagine why patrol method wouldn't be taught, seems like that would be a fine place..... a weekend of camping, learning the skills and so on.

Go figure.

Maybe the "Troop Method" handbook will follow too. I guess moms and dads will be taught how to cook to order.

For my part, I "caught the vision" of the Patrol method, and learned the most, from the way we did the woodbadge training in 2001. This was Woodbadge for the 20th century. I have not taken the new one. When they divided us into patrols, and put us in different camp sites, and had us do everything by patrol, including cooking and eating, scout skills, lectures, camping, and game play, I found that I had fun, found comradeship, and learned to depend on the patrol. The staff played the "steal the weather rock" game with us, and I am amazed the effort of some of the patrols to do just that. I found that I wanted our troop to look like this woodbadge troop. Then I was just an ASM, and that the SM did not think the boys would rise to the requirements of the boy led Patrol Method. I have had the reigns for a while now, and I am implementing these ideas one at a time. And my goal is "the easy chair", as Hillcourt put it.

I am not sure that round table lectures will instill this. I think a properly run Wood badge program will. I find that it is sheer brilliance to create the Ideal Troop and put the scouters into it in the role of 12 year old scouts. What a concept.

Of course, I know some scouters who went through the same course as me, and got nothing out of it. I do not know why that is. But I think it is sad.

And, just getting scoutmasters through Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills is too lofty a goal for some troops, much less have them commit to Wood Badge. What a pity.