Our CC has a problem with a patrol name...

I say it's a nice try at cross referencing, but too obscure for the average observer. Howbout...

"The Green Bars" and the shoulder rondelle is a "green bear".

(and St. Pat's day right round the corner too, dontcha know)

=or=

Call the Patrol the "Hillcourts" and someone explain to them the significance.(rondelle is a green "HC")

I have a few questions. Does your troop have an active CO and Representative, do they show up at meetings, both Comm. and Troop? Are they trained?What kind or type of organization are they? Is it an American Legion Post? Do they approve or disapprove? Are they letting the CC do the dirty work? As a former US ARMY Vet. I would discourage the use of that name and let them use "THE GREEN BARS" if they wanted. Military similarities have no place in Scouting at this time, so consider which door is better left closed.

And few other obvious questions are,

Why have they formed a patrol anyway? Will they get two votes on the PLC? of course not but I had to ask! And don't they have enough to do already?

I usually ask to many questions, but answers are harder to find without them.

I've met several Green Berets and SEALs over the years...they have always impressed me as down to earth, thoughtful, and not inclined to be easily offended.

I don't know any right now to run the current topic by, but I'll bet you most Green Berets' either wouldn't mind the "Green Barets" or might even be slighly amused by it.

I think it's a reach to ascribe paramilitary qualities to the Green Barets Patrol...seems more like a play on words than anything.

I thought the OP said the SM was struggling with instituting the boy-led patrol method. This is a battle of sorts. The decisions made here will be what determines is this small, mature patrol is boy-led or adult-led.

Normally, I would say let the boys do what they want in this regard as long as it is not against the Scout Law. The CC may think he is nipping future PR/PC problems in the bud by saying no to the name.

Now...

My son wants to have a Norsefire patrol. Where would y'all stand on that?

Hey Nike,

Does your troop have a "V" patrol? Most adults may not even know about the comic or the movie. I knew about the anarchist "V" but didn't remember the states "Norsefire" name until I searched it. The name may have a greater significance in Germany because of the past than it would have here in America.

I kinda like "Foxfire" for a patrol name but I'm no fairy. I've found some on our outings and the boys are fascinated by it.

I think that the important thing is to make use of patrol names are aren't going to give a negative message. Nike's "Norsefire" and E-Mtns' "Foxfire" would be problematic, in my view, given the literary and cinematic contexts of the respective names. When a patrol in my troop wanted to brand themselves as the "Black Panthers", I was opposed, given the cultural and historical context; similarly, I would find a "Knights of the White Camelia" patrol or a "Klan" patrol equally unacceptable (not that I know too many people who even know what a Knight of the White Camelia is). Not knowing where you're located, bearshark, it's difficult for me to gauge the level of appropriateness of a "Green Beret" or "Green BARet" patrol. On the surface, I don't think it should be a problem, but I admit to being pro-military (which is why I like "Green Beret") and possessing a fairly wry sense of humor (which is why I like "Green BARet"). If you're from a military town, and assuming your boys kept it as the patrol for senior Scouts, I think that the locals would probably back you, providing the boys kept up on their behavior; conversely, if you're meeting just off the corner of Haight and Ashbury, then there might be a problem. I do, for the record, like some of the alternate proposals featured here, including "Green Bar" Patrol and "Hillcourt" Patrol, as these names would still pay homage to the Scouting concepts which your Scouts are obviously trying to reference. On the other hand, of course, you might suggest that they adopt a "Bearshark" patrol. :)

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, I think there are plenty of inappropriate names for Patrols....some of them have already been stated...Green Berets and several other military references would be borderline. Scout is supposedly NOT paramilitary in nature, so military references should be avoided.

Further, organizations that promote the overthrow of government(s), violent civil unrest or represent hate organizations should not be permitted.

Here are some examples....

Black Panthers

Klan (or Clan)

Crusaders

SS

Wehrmacht

Skin Heads

Al Qaeda

To name a few....

If the patrol was a few nerdy kids looking to improve their patrol stature, I'd probably consider it. The patrol name that personally gave me the most trouble was a bunch of new scouts that called themselves the Peach patrol. PEACH PATROL! That was just wrong.

Barry

LOL, that's pretty good, but I think it was somehting like "Mmmmm, sweet and tasty."

Yep, I had to find a really good Troop Guide for that patrol.

I'm always encouraging agressive names like: Lions, tigers or bears. A lot scouts today are into video game names. I don't play video games enough to know if they are agressive.

Of course I used to be a Bob White, but we were clever and held our own.

Barry

What the Committee Chair could do is quietly and politely inform the Scoutmaster that in the BSA:

1) The SPL and ASPL do not belong to a patrol.

2) The position of Troop Guide does not necessitate a new patrol or patrol switch.

There you go, no patrol exits to be named.