Our CC has a problem with a patrol name...

With the whole separation of the military and boy scouts, our CC is concerned about the youth leader patrol name. They picked "the Green Barets". It's a take on words with the scout green bars of leadership positions and the green berets. Does anyone see anything wrong with the patrol name or is our CC getting his underwear in a bunch?

One more question (I really wish there was an edit option on this forum...).

Would the CC have authority over the patrol name? Our scoutmaster didn't see anything wrong with the name and some parents thought it was cute. I suppose, bottom line, is the name legal to use under BSA rules and regs?

Was/is the CC a Green Beret or was/is someone in the CC's family a Green Beret? If so, I can understand the problem. If not, why is the CC involved in a patrol choosing a name? What does the SM say?

Since BSA sells Blank patches for uniquely named Patrols; We have a "Tan" patrol who use the blank patch, and since your proposed Patrol is intended to play off of Green Bar rather than Green Beret, I opine that there isn't anything wrong with it.

That said, I can see how some would have issues because of the obvious possibility of confusion with the military organization and through it, the possibility down the road, if not now, for negative militaristic behavior, non-BSA uniforming issues and other possible conflicts.

My uncle was one of the Vietnam era Green Berets (he has since passed on) but he would have confused the issue and seen it as a tribute to him and his brother's in arms - until the boys weren't on their best behavior - at which point he would have probably found issue with them borrowing the name. Other Veterans who haven't re-adjusted well may have the same issues.

So I think I'm trying to say while there isn't anything that says it couldn't be done - it could incur negative attention to the boys from a group you really want to support you. And why open up to that?

Doesn't matter what the patrol name is. Da CC should butt out. It's the SM's and SPL's call.

If a CC is gettin' into that level of micromanagement then it's time he step down and let someone else have the patch who is focused on supportin' the program in "big picture" ways.

Beavah

I usually don't think pointing out spelling errors in a post, and I apologize to bearshark for mentioning it. But it is kinda important to me. Is the proper spelling beret or barrette? I would think that green beret would be totally appropriate, but a green barrette might have some GSA overtones that caused some concern for the CC. :)

Stosh

haha.. Although I am not the greatest speller... It's supposed to be baret (BARet)because of the green bars. The patrol consists of the SPL, ASPL and troop guide.

They are basically, the top three of the troop. They thought playing off of the Green Berets with BARets, would be cool. At least, until the CC said no.

We've been having a lot of problems with our CC stepping onto the program side. He is quick to critize when something goes wrong. Basically our scoutmaster is alone. The ASM's he has are TDY or deployed at this time so he's been working with a troop that's still new to the boy led idea. The boys are slow to coming around, but they ARE coming around. It's just this CC won't back off. He won't get in there and lend a hand either - so what are ya gonna do?

Thanks for the advice - I'll be sure to pass it along to the SM and tell him to stick to his guns..

I'm sure it depends upon the context. Is the CC out of line? The kids might think it's a funny play on words. A Green Beret may not see humor in it. If your ASMs are TDY, why not ask them? They'd have opinions. Are the kids planning to wear green berets? How about green barrettes. Maybe that's funnier.

Ask yourself this: Would there be an issue if they wanted to call themselves the Purple Hearts? Might that offend anyone? Does anybody care?

BDPT00

Was the CC a Green Beret at one time? Have friends/family who were and paid the ultimate sacrifice?

Does he think the Green Barets will become dictatorial in leadership style and run the troop with a military flair, which is not how boy scouts is supposed to be done?

Or is he being a buttinsky?

Let them use it.

Who cares what anybody else thinks?

I mean, we can over anylize it until the life is sucked out of these scouts.

Bar-ets? Well, I suppose if somebody wanted to push the issue, adding "ets (ettes) to the end of "bar" implys feminism. Wow, if somebody really pushed it, it sounds like the leadership might confuse the boys in their sexuality if they allow that name to stay!

Bar-ets is not implyied to mean or be confused with berets, but since they start wity the same letter and sound the same...it might as well mean the same thing right? There could be misconstrued ideas that BSA is trying to create a militry type organazation. Maybe a future militia. Why not right? I mean, there is rank, advancement, uniforms ( with uniform inspection too) and color guards too.

Unless it was really an attempt to mock the military. Wow, now we are creating an anti military establishment. That's just un-American! It's against every military figure who ever stood up for and defended the Stars and Stipes and everything they stand for! Why not call it the RED Star Berets ( as in communism!)

Yeah, I know, it sounds rediculous right? Well, it was supposed to.

Here's something i have learned in life: You cannot be offended unless you truely want to be.

Yeah, I said it!

See, instead of anybody ever wanting to think: "Hey, it's not even the same word or spelling, and it's mesaning isn't close to being the same"...people would rather sit around and say that it's "could be" or "might be" taken in such and such way.

THis was name made up by a bunch of youth who did not even concieve the idea of slandering or demeaning the Green Berets. Matter of fact, I bet that the idea never ever even came close to their minds. We gotta remember to think in a youth mindset, not our adult mindset.

Instead or even entertaining the thought it was totally harmless or not even the same thing,...people would rather dwell on how to make it an offensive thing.

Basically put, let them be the Green Barets. If anybody gets offended, educate them on the misunderstanding. Tell them what it really means. If they decide they still want to be offended...let them be...if it wasn't this incident, it would just be another....just the way they want it!

Some people can not be happy unless they are offended!

Wow scoutfish, relax.

Switch to decaf or somethin

It isn't that big a deal, only a patrol name. The PLC and SM are responsible for quality control on the names. We have had to reject a few based on body functions, innuendo and Scouting spirit. The boys usually giggle about it and pick something else.