Help! Where is the handbook for the Troop Method

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know about the Patrol method, "I used to be a beaver", but my son's troop leadership may change to the so-called troop method. I have voiced my disapproval on numerous occasions but they may not listen to me, a SA since 2006 in this troop. Without a guide book I'm afraid the other adult leaders will make it up as they go long. On paper we have about 20 boys who may be thrust into one big patrol(?). It will eliminate the currently three(?)patrols we now have. I've mentioned how it may have a negative impact on the troop, no patrol leaders, no PLC meetings, fewer leadership positions, etc. etc. etc. I'm trying to help this troop but if they persist in what I consider the wrong direction I'll consider my alternatives for the sake of my son.

The Patrol Method is a exactlty that, one of the eight "Methods" of scouting. BP called it the patrol "system" and the BSA and Green Bar Bill adopted the term "Method".

If you look at the eight methods of Scouting, the are: Ideals, Patrols, Outdoors, Advancement, Personal Growth, Adult Association, Leadership Development and Uniform. Many youth organizations incororate Ideals, Outdoors, use Adult Association, work toward Leadership Development, commonly use some type uniforming, and many even have a system of advancement. It is the Patrol Method, which is unique to scouting, and without the Patrol Method, you have a generic youth group which is no longer built on the BSAs Scouting Methods.

evmori and everyone else is right to say there is no "Troop Method." The troop method is only what is left when you remove the patrol concept from the unit.

If you look more closely at these other methods, they are all dependent on the existence of the Patrol Method. Advancement occurs within the patrol, as does Uniforms, Ideals, Leadership Development, and Outdoors is certainly something one best experiences with one's patrol. In fact even Personal Growth and Adult Association are best accomplished through the Patrol Method.

Everything in balance is something Beavah says often.

If this was very small Troop (8-10 kids), I'd say operate it as a single patrol, and do some direct democracy.

It isn't. 20 is big enough for 2 patrols of 8, an SPL, a Quartermaster, a Scribe or Webmaster, and an OATR.

If this were EagleSon's troop, and this was on the table, I'd be talking to him about do we think he could get full fun and challenge of Scouting, and moving units.

I'm glad he's approaching 21.

I think I would take a Patrol Leaders Handbook, a Senior Patrol Leaders Handbook and a Scoutmasters Handbook then spend an evening or two crossing out every reference to Patrol and replacing it with the word Troop then hand it to the so-called Troop Leaders along with my resignation and son's transfer request (and transfer request for as many of the other boys as I could wrangle) and let them know your final gift to the Troop are these "Troop Leaders Guides".

But that's just me.

I asked my son's Scoutmaster how he will justify signing the 1st requirement for Star, Life or Eagle if they don't use the patrol method. He said and I quote " What do you want me do, cross out patrol before I sign it". FYI, this Scoutmaster has less than one year experience in Boy Scouting.

I've been seeing, firsthand, adult-run advancement-oriented Eagle-mill troop method, operating with the "World's Oldest SPL" syndrome, and with great numbers of helicopter parents, and it's not pretty. If you ask me, it's also not Scouting. It may use the Boy Scout Handbook for "guidelines" to hand out Boy Scout related ranks, but it isn't really Scouting.

I also know firsthand how hard it is to make small changes, one step at a time. It's funny how "troop method" can come about in a small step, but it takes years (!) to rebuild a troop to patrol method. There are lots of guys here, on this forum, that have offered their practical advice because they've rebuilt patrols and troops. It is not easy!

If you want an easy solution, my recommendation is to find another troop that is run properly. The harder solution (but it may be right for your son and you) is to stay put and resist all efforts to become less patrol-oriented.

Guy

If you want to fight this, I would request a meeting with the committee chair and the COR. I would bring the Patrol Leaders Handbook, Senior Patrol Leaders Handbook and Scoutmasters Handbook, and a copy of the annual charter agreement. Show them how a troop is ran and explain what the scoutmaster wants to do. Show the COR that the CO has agreed to "Conduct the Scouting program according to its own policies and guidelines as well as those of the Boy Scouts of America". Let them know that the patrol is the core of a troop, and to do it any other way is not Scouting. It would be like saying we will not worry about tenderfoot, second class or first class, we just want to work on merit badges, life star and eagle.

Has the Scoutmaster been trained or read the Scoutmasters Handbook? And does your unit have a UC?

I find this line very telling, especially for an untrained Scoutmaster, "What do you want me do, cross out patrol before I sign it?"

Because that is exactly what he's doing, figuratively-speaking. He's crossing out "Patrol" in several different places: in Aims and Methods, in handbooks ("XXXXXX Leader's Handbook" and "Senior XXXXXX Leader's Handbook"), and in operations.

I could go on and on about problems I've seen in local troops, including my own. But sometimes I think the "Troop Method" has come about from helicoptering and impatience. Our "World's Oldest SPL" is extremely impatient. He just wants to do things, including leading from the front. He barks out orders because he can't stand to see things move so slowly. Questions about Patrol Method? He'll say "yeah, we're working on that" and then not change a single thing that he's doing.

Fester that over any period of time, and I think you get lazy Scouts. They'd rather just have "the adults" set up the outings for them and tell them when to show up. Then they stop coming after awhile because it's the same old thing, year after year. Great way to suck the life out of what the program is supposed to be.

Lots of newbie parents think that the goal of Scouting is to crank out Eagle Scouts. I led a session at a training event for Cub Scout parents this last weekend about Boy Scout advancement. My theme was that advancement is just one method and that there is whole lot more to the "design of the program" than cranking out Eagle Scouts.

I'm not so sure that helicoptering, impatient parents and leaders really want to think that deeply about it. I think they're more into getting their son to Eagle and then moving on.

Guy

Yech. If there are others who share your sentiments, make sure you let the committee chair and your COR (if they are even minimally involved) know your sentiments. The boys should do the same.

If you are the lone voice in the wilderness and you aren't going to get anywhere, and you are pretty certain that this new SM with no experience to speak of is going to be supported for quite some time by the committee and the CO, then help your son find a different troop because this sounds like a disaster in the making.

If you think this new SM's harebrained idea will die a quick death, consider whether you want to stick it out and help the troop pick up the pieces in, say, 4-6 months' time.