Youth Leader Training

No, NYLT does not qualify youth for the Trained patch. The Troop Leader Training, run by the Scoutmaster and Senior Patrol Leader, is the course that is intended to fulfill this requirement. There is a Troop Leader Training syllabus available that includes job description cards for each position. The material is, in my opinion, a little sparse, but this forces the Scoutmaster and SPL to work together to plan more of the session.

OK so I looked at the information about the youth training. Here is my question. What kind of activities would you do other than just reading the responsibility cards.

What kind of team building excercises do you recommend?

The TLT outline is very specific. It tells you what to do, but does not give much details - the SM and the SPL have to add these.

The team building games and outdated video from the old Troop Junior Leader Training are gone. You can still add some team building to TLT, but is is not the core of the course anymore.

If a SM just reads the responsibility cards, he is not following the TLT outline and is not doing a good job at training the youth leaders of his troop.

The team building process is inherent in the patrol-method approach. One can go to great lengths to do team building and then when one reaches the first camporee split up the patrols and diversity everything for expediency. This goes a long way to show the futility of team building.

Establish patrols and then let them work out the dynamics as they plan and program their activities. This interaction and reliance on each other goes a lot further than a few games one plays in training activities. They will build their own team. It may be in a joint effort to attain the national patrol award, it may be in a planned outing as a patrol, or segregating themselves away from the others in the troop to express their independance and interdependency on team members rather than out-of-patrol assistance.

COPE, as a patrol, summer camp, as a patrol, outings, as a patrol, everything one does, as a patrol and then resist any and all temptation to realign or redesign or introduce new members, or anything else the patrol doesn't want.

If I were to be the admistrative assistant to a different department rotating every month, I will assuredly eventually conclude I'm not a part of any of them. Team building will occur naturally if the group is left to work out its dynamics without ANY outside influence including team building training. Such preconceived activities may temporarily show what and how a team works, but it will take months if not years for a group of boys to gel into a well functioning "team"/patrol. Baden-Powell talked about gangs of boys being patrols, gangs are a natural consolidation of like interests and activities that will occur on their own if left to their own resources and will view attempts to promote what is already coming naturally to them as an interesting diversion, but not as something that really helps in the long run.

Are your boys proud of the fact that they are a member of a certain patrol? If not then you don't have a team, but if they are, then leave them alone, they are already there. Do you have boys that hunger to belong to a certain patrol and will do anything to find acceptance there? Now you have a potential new member. No one wants to get stuck in a patrol, so don't do it.

Stosh

• 1 month later...

Part of my wood badge ticket was getting with the other troops in my area to develop a youth leadership training.

The best thing that we decided was combining the Troop Leadership Training, and the old Junior Leader Training. Doing the TLT first kinda seemed lacking, but the old JLT program helped reinforce the TLT.

The other advantage of doing it that way, was it was a cost save for the scouts, which we only charged $23, which was the cost of food, trained patches, and staves. The price of NYLT has been steep, especially for scouts in our area having so many parents unemployed.

Though, I'm sure the training is better when it's not interrupted by a storm that takes out half the camp.

• 3 months later...

White Stag is another alternative source for leadership training. I have been investigating this program for the past year and so far the results are beyond amazing compared to our NYLT program. Not to say other NYLT programs may be superior to mine, however if you are interested in leadership development, this is definitely something to look at. Its how scouting truely used to be (50s, 60s,and 70s) integrated with modern up to date skills and cirriculum.

Since this thread is resurrected, I'm going to do my Kudu impersonation and say look at the 3rd ed. of the SMHB as it does have a good troop level training that may need to be modified slightly for today.

As for NYLT, etc. Haven't staffed it, but been through BA22 and staffed JLT, both of which were good courses.

Also I know that someone did a district level TLT when I was a youth, with all staff being BA22 graduates.

Now I will admit, I did not go through a formal training with the SM, my trainign was via the SPL and the Leadership Corps of the troop. SM didn't get involved unless a safety issue, or disciplinary issue, and usualy it was b/c the SPL asked for help.