Different Crossover Times for Webelos

Our troop has been operating with the NSP method for many years now with much sucess. We don't have a feeder Pack but rely on getting 2-4 Webelos from a pool of 3-4 Packs. We have always formed 1-2 NS Patrols and they have typically stayed together unless they get to small and we have to rearrange. We typically get all the boys to first class in the first year if they participate.

This year we got 4 Webelos that have already crossed over in September. I expect the rest to come over in February from the other Packs.

I am wondering how to handle these first four. They are really gung ho, two have Scout already and are working on Tenderfoot. The other two aren't that far behind. I worry about having a small patrol for four months and then combining the new ones in and the extra work on the Patrol advisors and Troop Guides.

This also makes it hard to do a New Patrol Campout, unless we do two.

Anyway I'm sure it will work out, but just wondering how other troops handle spreadout crossovers.

YIS,

Glenn

How did you manage to get Webelos crossing over in September? That is really early unless they all started kindergarten early and are older than the rest of the 5th graders. Were they all 10.5 with their AOL when they crossed in September? Or, were they all 11 years old when they crossed over?

Scouts do not learn a skill once and then never use it again. Or at least they should not be doing that. Repetition, and using what they have learned, is a good thing. Have these boys help teach the new boys the skills they have already learned.

It's tough. As you say, it ends up being a lot of extra work for the Troop Guides and NSP advisors.

We've not had the problem you describe, but we are fortunate to attract 2, 3 or 4 new Scouts off the street most years. Of course they come in at all different times. That most of these new Scouts have no Scouting experience at all makes it even more difficult as they don't understand much of the culture of Scouting the way a kid who has been through five years of Cub Scouting does. With these kid coming in one at a time, we don't have much choice but to assign people (youth and/or adults as they are available) to work with them individually. We can't just let them hang until a NSP cranks up in Feb. or we will loose them. Although if a boy joins sometime during the holidays we can get away with a little of that.

In your situation, I would suggest cranking up with these four guys as you would if they crossed over in Feb or March. But unless you can commit to running two NSP programs for the next year, spin it this way: these four new guys need to really master these skills because when the other Webelos crossover in the winter, THEY will be responsible for teaching the new guys. Make it a challenge and a big responsibility they have. NOT that they are going to have to repeat the same skills and will probably be bored. Repeat this often. As you get close to crossover have a session on EDGE teaching techniques and really drive the idea that they are going to be teaching the new boys.

What's the line from Remember the Titans? "Attitude reflects leadership, captain."

We have a unique situation in our location. 2 packs cross over their Webelos after their Blue-Golds and have a special "rule" for those boys to continue through the Pinewood Derby activity and still be Cubs. However the third pack waits until after the summer to cross over their Webelos. Thus we have an influx of new boys twice a year, once in early spring and once in early fall.

For this reason, the "recruiting" process is an all-time job. Just when they get their feet on the ground, a new group comes in and there's not much breathing room in the process.

One way or the other would be nice, but we are adapting to the situation we are faced with.

Stosh

Our church charters a troop and 2 packs. We do not treat the packs as "feeders." We actively go out and recruit every Webelos who might be interested in joining the troop. Last year's Webelos leader from one pack (who is a good friend) went to another troop because his son had a great time camping with them. Good for him!

All boys may join the troop of their choice. It is up to us (adults and youth) to offer a program for scouts in which they will grab and hold their attention.

Scoutnut,

The 10.5 rule has been modified, it's now six months since completing 4th grade OR 6 months from turning 10, whichever comes first.

As for the challenge of a NSP with 4 scouts, ocne upon a time there was a little experiment call BROWNSEA in which 20 boys formed 4 patrols: Curlews, Ravens, Bulls, and Wolves, of 5 members each. Their SM was a gentleman by the name of Lt.Gen. Sir R.S.S. Baden-Powell, and he had his 9 or 10 y.o. nephew as a mascot. Hence the Brownsea 22.

Here is what i would do. I would have the SPL appoint a PL instead of a TG. Have the PL work with them and get them far enough along where these 4 can run for PL and take over when the others arrive in February. I wouldn't worry about a 5 man patrol too much.(This message has been edited by eagle92)