FINALLY! - Brings a Tear To My Eye

After last night's meeting, my son told me that his Patrol wants to camp alone. I asked him if he has approached the SM, and he said no. He said they want to write it all up first and present it to him next Thursday. They don't want to go far, just 5 miles or so and sleep out one night. They won't be out of a cell signal at any time.

As an ASM, I have no problem with this. The Patrol has two Life, three Star, one 1st Class and one 2nd Class. They are 15 through 12 years old, mostly 15 and 14.

He asked me if I had a problem with it, and I said no. I asked him what his backup plan was, and he told me they were going to go one way or the other, just with their own gear if the SM says no. I told him that I hadn't heard that.

It is a great thing to see the boys sprouting their wings. As nearly as I can tell, this is the first time any Patrol has proposed anything like this.

Just wanted to crow a little bit. I hope this gets to be a regular thing in our Troop.

Crow like Peter Pan! Sounds like you have a pretty good patrol mix, which makes this kind of thing much more attainable.

My first inclination would be to talk to them about it and make sure they present a good plan to the Scoutmaster. My second inclination is to back off and let them do it on their own. I recommend you try the latter, especially since they have a back-up plan.

Great story, and keep us posted how it goes. I can't wait to hear the follow up.

I think the initiative being shown by the patrol is great! Not to hijack the thread, however does anyone else remember something about youth protection and "no more than 3 year age difference" (I think in the context of sharing tents). Or did I (or the instructor) make that up?

I love the idea of the patrol wanting to do this. I have been trying to encourage our patrols to do it for years.

I just have one question. I thought for a patrol to be able to go off without adult supervision, all the scouts needed to be First Class or above. Please correct me if I am wrong. In fact I would like that because next week we are implementing mixed age patrols.

At the meeting last night the PL approached the PLC and laid out their plan. I think a couple of the PLC were suprised that a Patrol can camp alone. They gave their support to the plan.

The SM (to my suprise) gave his support as well. Even took the written plan and signed it: "Approved 10/1/09 - [signature]". Later, he asked me on the side if I knew about this. I said yes and allowed that I didn't want to interfere in any way. He aggreed that that was for the best.

So they're going next weekend. Score one for the boys!!!

Not to hijack the thread, however does anyone else remember something about youth protection and "no more than 3 year age difference" (I think in the context of sharing tents). Or did I (or the instructor) make that up?

That is only true if the older Scout brings his sheath knife ;) !

My older scouts have a problem coming up in a couple of weeks.

They want to attend a Council event and assist in the running of a Cub Spookaree. Unfortunately no adults can attend full time and maybe only one at a time. The PL is contacting the SE to whether or not they can come and help without adults. It would include both Fri and Sat night sleepovers. The event is being held at the Council Camp. Adults will be available to get the boys out there and back with no problem.

As SM, I have no problem with the boys doing this and they are the ones working on the details and plans for the event.

It should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Stosh

I thought for a patrol to be able to go off without adult supervision, all the scouts needed to be First Class or above.

however does anyone else remember something about youth protection and "no more than 3 year age difference" (I think in the context of sharing tents).

Yah, I always get a chuckle out of these odd urban legends, eh? I've been around more years than I can count, and just when I thought I'd heard every one, there's a thread with two brand new make believe rules!

I will say one thing for our Scoutin' trainers. They are a creative lot! :p

Kudos (kudus?) to your lads, Anonymous. And a round of applause to you adults for doin' it right.

Beavah

Well, they went, they camped, and they all came back alive and healthy.

It rained all day Friday and part of Saturday morning. I asked my boy if he thought that this was the time..... "We're SCOUTS!! " was his reply. Plus, he always carries the triple flame Colibri lighter we got him for Christmas, so off they went.

The hike was without incident, made camp no problem. Took a while to get a fire started, but once they did they didn't let it go out. They ate well and stayed warm and dry.

Broke camp without problems, hike back went quicker than the hike out, and they're home.

He spent most of last night texting his friends - I don't think this is going to be the last Patrol overnight in our Troop this year!

Good for them.