Eight Method Scorecard

I have been asked to serve as Committee Chairman for the troop that my youngest son will join in Feb. of 2010 (the troop attached to his pack). I have a lot of Cub Scouting experience, but I have no experience with this particular troop. My oldest son was a member of different Troop and had a very good experience. I hope to provide the same opportunities for my youngest, but I am little uncertain about the new Troop.

I'm not sure where this troop stands as far as key issues like boy leadership. I don't want to insult anyone, but as CC I would like to know where the troop's strengths and weaknesses lie so that I can recruit adults to support the boys in areas where the needs are greatest.

One thought I have is to develop a "scorecard" and I thought the starting point might be the "Eight Methods of Scouting". I am thinking that the PLs could rate the troop (themselves) in these areas and it might help me guage how satisfied they are with their program and identify areas in need of support/development.

Rating some of the methods will be easy. For example, you can easily measure if the troop completes 20 nights of camping per year or whether most members wear a complete uniform to meetings. Does anyone have ideas for questions that could be asked to determine how effective the troop is functioning in areas such as Leadership Development, Scouting Ideals, or Personal Growth?

I'd like to limit it to two or three questions per method, ideally. Remember, I want these to be questions that the BOYS can answer. Any ideas you might have are appreciated. If I get something good together, I'd be happy to share it with the Forum.

gtscouter,

A good way to poll the troop's scouts with the eight methods would be to do it at BOR's. Ask open ended questions. Then as you gain insight into the troop, give the SM and other leaders the feedback.

If a scout only shows up in a uniform for a BOR or Court of Honor ask him why. Do the youth and adult leaders wear them all the time or not.

Ask the scouts about their experiences at summer camp and troop overnighters. Good, bad and maybe best time, favorite skit or best meal. More insight. Then approach the SM and ask him for info to fill out the National Camping award. This would show support for him and give you more insight into troop activities.

Get a troop calendar from the SPL and ASPL. Ask them questions about what is planned and what they needs to help carry it out. This will give you some insight into the leadership development program of the troop.

Then meet with the SM, have a friendly cup of coffee and ask him what help he needs. Take back your findings and address them with the committee.

Waiting for each scout to do a BOR could take some time and might not be feasible if they are older or you have a large troop. In this case you might ask the SM if it was okay to give the scouts a survey, one that was put together by the PLC. You and the SM could guide them through the process by giving them the guidelines of the eight methods.

Thanks for some good advice. Well put. I will watch and listen for the time being. If I need more info, I will get the blessing of the SM and go to the PLC to spearhead any surveys! Or, perhaps the boys will have their own ideas about how to capture this information.

gtscouter writes: I'm not sure where this troop stands as far as key issues like boy leadership. I don't want to insult anyone, but as CC I would like to know where the troop's strengths and weaknesses lie so that I can recruit adults to support the boys in areas where the needs are greatest.

That is one of the best things I've read on this forum. The Committee supporting the boys. Fantastic. You may consider taking some time to go to meetings between now and when your son crosses over. Start attending Troop Committee meetings now as an observer before you step into the role as CC. Go on campouts with the troop. No better way to find out how things work in the troop than from personal observation.

Much as I hate to sound rude.

If I were the SM, I wouldn't want or allow any Committee Member to attend a PLC.

My role as SM is provide the program.

The role of the Committee is that of support.

As an SM, I'd be happy to attend Committee Meetings and give a full report of what the Troop is doing, how it is doing and where it is going.

I'd be willing to share the vision and mission I have for the Troop and myself. I might be willing to share some of the goals I have set for myself.

But! I see the PLC as my time with the P/L's.

My time to help train and prepare them.

For me Scouting is all about relationships and the relationship between the SM and the PLC is not one I'd be willing to open up and share with members of the Committee.

Just like every other volunteer, my "Term of office" runs from year to year. If the Committee finds that they are un-happy with the selection that they made (Me.) When the time comes to recharter they can of course remove my name from the charter and select someone else.

The Troop Committee Agenda should cover everything that a Troop Committee needs to know about the Troop.

Eamonn.

I am curious. If you don't know that much about how the troop runs, why did your son choose to join it? And how did it come to pass that you were appointed CC so far in advance of your son bridging? Did your son look at more than one troop?

I agree with Eamonn that you do not belong at the PLC meetings. Your very presence could undermine the boy leadership. I say this from experience. When I was CC of our troop the SM asked me to attend the PLCs. The presence of more than one adult really changes the dynamic of the meeting. It creates a slippery slope to an adult lead troop. Ultimately I started sitting on the other side of the room to provide two deep leadership but I tried my darnedest to stay OUT of the meeting.

Chat with your SM. Ask him what sort of support he needs from the committee. Ask how the committee has helped in the past. How has it gotten in the way? In the conversation you will probably gain some insights into he way he delivers the program.

As said before, get a calendar and see what the troop does. Go on a campout. You will be able to observe whether the troop is boy lead or not.

Finally, there will be BORs. As others have said this is a great time to find out what the scouts are thinking.

Please, don't be the new guy who comes in tells the SM everything he is doing wrong. Nothing good comes from a pissing match between the CC and the SM. If necessary, work to effect change but slowly and cooperatively with the SM.

Good luck,

Hal

Eamonn/Hal, points well taken. I appreciate your candor. That's why I come to the forums for input!

I am CC of the attached Pack and have been a scouter for 10 years. The CC of the Troop and I are switching places in six months -- we need her experience at the Pack level. We are shadowing each other in the meantime.

The SM is a good friend of mine and the one who asked me to take on CC. It's a small troop with only 2 or 3 parents taking an active role. The current leaders are looking for me to help keep the troop moving forward (they are in a rebuilding phase), but I will tread lightly and respect the SM/PLC relationships. I am looking for a way to give the SM the help he says he wants without getting in his way.

I perceived baschram645's suggestions to be a reminder that if I am thinking of helping in any way, it should be achieved through the boys. The message to me was that a survey should come through the PLC not from the Committee, for example. I can share the idea with the SM and see if he wants to take the idea to PLC. Ultimately, PLC has to decide if it's a good idea and something they want to do.

Much as I hate to sound rude.

If I were the SM, I wouldn't want or allow any Committee Member to attend a PLC.

My role as SM is provide the program.

The role of the Committee is that of support.

As an SM, I'd be happy to attend Committee Meetings and give a full report of what the Troop is doing, how it is doing and where it is going.

I'd be willing to share the vision and mission I have for the Troop and myself. I might be willing to share some of the goals I have set for myself.

But! I see the PLC as my time with the P/L's.

My time to help train and prepare them.

For me Scouting is all about relationships and the relationship between the SM and the PLC is not one I'd be willing to open up and share with members of the Committee.

Just like every other volunteer, my "Term of office" runs from year to year. If the Committee finds that they are un-happy with the selection that they made (Me.) When the time comes to recharter they can of course remove my name from the charter and select someone else.

The Troop Committee Agenda should cover everything that a Troop Committee needs to know about the Troop.

Eamonn[/Quote]

I agree wholeheartedly, I have been there done that, from all sides.

As a scout, scoutmaster, committee member, be careful..

Chuck

(This message has been edited by Wrong Number)

Yeah, but not that uncommon in small troops where the CO is not particularly involved.

If I recall I became CC at the SM's behest. The troop committee and I appointed my replacement and I think the two after that were appointed in similar fashion. All of us should have been appointed by the CO. Of course the IH signed the applications for all of us so he technically did approve the appointment but in most cases he did it without meeting the candidate.

More often than not there is only one volunteer and he or she gets the job.

Hal

Strange how at times this forum seems to discuss things that I have just been talking about.

I had our District Chairman and DE over for dinner a week or so back.

They in their infinite wisdom have asked that this years Corn Roast (A District Round-table on steroids and sweet corn.) Be given over to membership.

While of course the main focus is on recruitment and school night. We started talking about retention and the need for organization within the unit and planning within the unit.

As we discussed this and the meaning of life!

We kinda, sorta decided that a big problem in the District is that many, if not most of the units (Packs and Troops) do not have real committees.

The committee has been replaced with some sort of leader/parent/ committee member mix.

Which does seem to have found a way of muddling its way through, but falls flat when things start to go wrong.

When we looked at why? This is happening, we came up with:

The size of the unit - Small units tend to not have the man-power or think they don't have the man-power.

People feel that they attend too many meetings.

Communication isn't a problem if everyone is in the same place at the same time.

Still the 3 of us think that the idea of having one group deliver the program and one group support these delivery people is the best way to go.

Of course having an SM and a Committee Chair that are on the same page is a big help.

I'm not so sure about using the Methods of Scouting as a scorecard.

I see the methods as a list of goals.

An on-going work that is always in progress.

Sometimes just when you think you have it all down pat and everything is going great, something will happen to upset the apple-cart and you have to start all over again.

Sometimes the cause of things are beyond our control. A new HS Coach, or a group of kids that are all budding thespians?

I've seen it happen.

The goal of a Committee Chair as I see it is as much about stewardship as anything else.

As we all know Scouts come and go, some seem to be around forever, while others just seem to pass through. More and more it seems that the same can be said about leaders, some move due to work or family circumstances, some only are around until their kid makes Eagle or loses interest.

The Committee Chair working with the COR and the CO should be focused on ensuring that the Troop will be around long after he or she has gone and is able to support the youth leaders and the CO with the job they are tasked with.

Eamonn.