SR540,

While i'm not Lisa, I can asnwer the question becasue she posted about it a few weeks back. Basically the VP wants todo things with minimal adult involvment b/c the adults are not allowign them to do things as they see fit. in other words it's adult run and the youth want it youth run.

Beaver, that's a valid question, and one I've also been trying to keep in mind. The answer that I've come to is that at least SOME of the boys want to do this in a more boy-led fashion and thus far that has been quite challenging because of the large # of adults. This includes hte patrol leader, who is my son. He is chomping at the bit to be able to make more decisions among the scouts. But, he isn't the only one in the group who feels that way, I'm pretty sure.

Now there are a couple of boys in the group who probably don't care, too. And I'm not attending the events so I've had to ask myself why this irks me so. My conclusion is that Barry has it about right - we've found the outer limits of what the troop is willing to allow and I'd prefer to see those outer limits be a bit further away. Within the troop there's an underlying, on-going disagreement about what boy leadership means and how to develop that leadership I guess.

If the VP is hiking out of a base camp, they and the necessary number of leaders could leave for the hike about 30 minutes before the other adults wake up.

Or the boys could hike at a pace that's uncomfortable for the adults to keep up. They could practice the motto... If you want to stay young, work with the young. If you want to die young, try to keep up with them. Heck... they could make that their patrol cheer.

I heard thru my council that National is going to change their policy and prohibit patrols from conducting outings without adult supervision. Times are a changing.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

Lisabob, You said you were told "point-blank that telling these adults they could not attend was out of the question"...by who?

If it's the SM then what is his reasoning for this? if it's someone else...by what authority are they making this statement? have the VP boys brought up their concerns/wishes to the VP advisor as a group? this would seem to be a good starting point to try and sort this out.

I have always liked Kudu's 300' rule. I also need to remember that is a MINIMUM of 300'. I don't think this rule is as much as developing independence in the boys in as much as it keeps the adults where they belong.

Stosh