We have a scout who has been asked me (more than once) me to set up a skateboard/campout. I have little interest in this, but not to squelch his enthusiasm, I have encouraged him to speak to his Patrol Leader to organize this as a patrol activity.

Whether he did this or not is irrelevant, as he has now been elected PL. Our PLC will begin their training this weekend, and I know he will bring it up. Any ideas on how to encourage him to do this?

Has suggested that he could camp on his uncle's property (1 acre in a nearby rural community), which happens to be near a skatepark.

Our troop has never really done much in the way of patrol camping, but I am working to change that, and I have certainly been talking it up with the scouts for some time. My problem is that there is a disconnect between the "talk" and the "action." How do I go about ensuring that this is going to be conducted in a safe manner. I know about as much about skateboarding as I do about quantum physics(and given the choice between the two, I would probably choose the latter). Strike that. I just read in the G2SS that skateboarding is approved for Tiger and up, but I can't find anything in it on quantum physics. Any ideas are certainly welcome.

To me, it would largely depend on whether the skatepark is staffed or just an open-to-the-public facility. If the former, you can talk with the owners and managers and probably get your concerns assuaged about safety, rules, etc. Find out from local authorities if there are issues there about fights, accidents, alcohol, etc.

If the latter, I think you'd be well within your rights to establish some safety rules and procedures. There are skateboarding associations out there that could probably provide you with more information. Your PL can probably point you in the right direction.

Henson Scout Reservation, near Galestown, Md., has a halfpipe available for rollerblading and skateboarding. You might try contacting the council (delmarvacouncil.org) for some details on how they run things, safety-wise.

Buffalo Skipper writes:

"My problem is that there is a disconnect between the "talk" and the "action." How do I go about ensuring that this is going to be conducted in a safe manner."

You get to safe conduct the same way that you get to Carnegie Hall: Practice, Practice, Practice!

Patrol Leader Training -- as opposed to "Junior" Leader Training (JLT) or "Troop" Leadership Training (TLT) -- is based on PRACTICING a Patrol Hike and then PRACTICING a Patrol Overnight with the PLC as the "Greenbar Patrol" and the Scoutmaster as their Patrol Leader. That means you actually take the Patrol of Patrol Leaders on a Patrol Hike, and then a few months later on a Patrol Overnight.

The new values-based leadership training substitutes "trust" (values) and manager theory (hyped as "leadership") for this actual old-school "hands-on" training. That is why most Troops no longer use the Patrol Method which is based on independent Patrol Hikes and Patrol Overnights rather than TALK about values and management.

The best way to make the transition is Troop Hikes based on THEMES (entertainment) rather than distance, and practicing Patrol Overnights on monthly Troop Campouts with the distance of each Patrol from the nearest adults based on the competency of the Patrol. Start with 30 feet and then gradually work up to Baden-Powell's suggested distance of 300 feet between Patrols.

Has suggested that he could camp on his uncle's property (1 acre in a nearby rural community), which happens to be near a skate park."

The location is ideal for old-school Scouting because his uncle can check up on them at night. Once they are used to Patrol Overnights on monthly Troop Campouts, they will understand that the Patrol's distance from the uncle's house will be increased in the future as the Patrol proves itself to be trustworthy.

Kudu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics

:)

Yah, I think yeh encourage the boy before the PLC trainin' (if yeh want to see this happen as a troop trip), or on the side if yeh want to encourage that as a first Patrol outing. I think it's great, eh? Talk to the uncle, talk the skatepark. Take on yourself whatever load yeh think is out of reach of the boys right now (maybe arrangin' for someone from a local skate shop to come out and give some pointers and keep an eye on safety). Yeh want the first ever patrol outing to be a success.

B