getting to patrol method

All of the comments above are great. I'm in the same situation as gklose and just trying to figure out the best way to go about affecting change. Our twist is that the boys seem to be somewhat apathetic about the activities and or making changes in the way that they are doing things during the troop meeting. Several months ago, they were on time with shirts looking good and ready to go. Now most arrive 5 minutes late and still dressing as they walk in.

The way the time problem worked its way out for us was making sure the meeting program is full. If they start late, the end late. Parents don't like waiting very long and they let their sons know. They in turn complain to the PL who brings up the subject at PLC. Just like in real life outside the troop, folks want to be on time. Make sure you ask the SPL why they started late and what he could do to change that. He should be asking the very same questions at the Post PLC meeting. Oh, and when the Post meeting gets late, that has even more affect. My SPL starting taking pride in starting on time.

As for uniforms, that is more difficult because boys don't buy into adult excusses like wearing a uniform gives you more pride or makes you a better boy scout. A boy needs to feel in his heart the uniform has value. At your next PLC meeting, read the uniform requirements from the Scout Handbook. Then ask the questions like, if a scout doesn't wear his uniform, is he doing right or doing wrong. Is it OK to do some things wrong and other things right? Who gets to pick what guidelines we get to break? What happens when everyone wants to do things their own way?

You know, stuff like that. The important thing here is the scouts have to want to wear the uniform, not feel forced.

By the way, I alway use the uniform as a flag that something is wrong when a scout changes a habit. Strangely, I found that 9 out of 10 times when I asked a scout if something was wrong or if they had a bad day, they did.

You will always struggle with the uniform in a troop where the boys aren't forced by the adults because they have different attitudes about it at different stages. New scouts and older scouts don't have much problem. 13 to 15 year old boys are trying to find themselves. A good PLC can maintain a more consistant policy

Barry