Patrol Backpacking - Advice and How to

In the parent thread, Hal_Crawford asked a bunch of questions from the point of view of a unit leader who is in a troop transitioning from car campin' to a broader range of outings. He wants to know how/when in that transition he can allow/encourage independent patrol campin'. Specifically, stuff like "how to give scouts this level of freedom and independence while still managing risk and ensuring safety."

So this thread is for those who have seen or run adult-free independent patrol outings and backpack campin' in your unit to offer a view of how that is accomplished, and others to ask questions. As a favor to Hal and everybody, let's keep the legal/rules/should we do this discussion mostly confined to da other thread. Let this thread just be for "I want to do this, how do I go about it well?"

Beavah

Yah, OK, I guess I'll start. I've seen independent patrol outings in two kinds of units. One is in same-age patrol units for older scout patrols. Generally the older lads are allowed to hike and camp semi-autonomously, while the adults and some older TG's support the NSPs and mid-range boys. Second type of unit runs mixed-age patrols (perhaps after a brief NSP stint or new scout orientation campouts), and every patrol runs independent outings.

I think yeh have to sit down with da T-2-1 requirements for a bit and think hard about 'em. When you really read those, they provide a pretty darn good description of the skill set anyone (youth or adult) needs to hike and camp independently. Select a site, pitch a tent, plan meals, cook meals, manage fire, plan routes, navigate/orienteer, know what to do when lost, etc. The First Aid for T-2-1 vastly surpasses a typical ARC standard First Aid course, which is more than many ASMs have.

So if at the end of T-2-1 you're at all nervous about lettin' the lads camp & hike independently, I think yeh have to go back and look at where their T-2-1 training failed 'em.

Kudu tends to blather on :), but I think his message at the core is a good one for adult leaders, eh? We have to think of T-2-1 as actually preparing the boys for us not to be there. Part of that is forcing the issue by making sure we're so far away that we can't actively intervene and hover. His 300-foot mantra ain't for the boys, it's for us! It's a rule that if we enforce forces us as adults to train the boys well enough that we don't have to hover.

I think da most common place T-2-1 fails to prepare lads for independence is in NSP/First Class Emphasis programs. That's mostly because these tend to be run cub scout style, as "Webelos 3", where boys get the awards for "doing their best" or parroting a task once. They light a stove and get signed off, rather than not bein' signed off until the adults and their Patrol Leader can trust 'em completely with stove safety when no one is watching. For most lads and most ordinary programs, proficiency in all the T-2-1 skills really isn't possible in a year.

I don't want to turn this into a FCFY thread though, eh? The real point is "would you trust a person who had solid training and skill in backcountry first aid, camping, navigation, stoves & fires, safe swim, safety afloat, water rescues, menu planning and cooking, outdoor ethics, and emergency procedures to camp on their own?" Of course yeh would. In fact, you'd let 'em lead other people. Well, that's what First Class Scout is supposed to mean. If that's not what it means in your unit, of course you shouldn't let the boys camp on their own. But you should work to fix that, eh?

Beavah

Part II

Second part I reckon is what Eagledad talks about in terms of pushin' the adult fear back. Yeh want to build up to independent patrol hikes and camping.

First step might be followin' Kudu's advice and setting up car camping with lots of separation from patrols.

Second step might be backpack treks where yeh do the same. Adults follow and silently observe from a distance, camp at least 300 yards away, and perhaps join the patrol for a debrief/troubleshoot session each night over dessert.

Third step might be to allow an independent patrol backpack trek, but to select a spot where the navigation is straightforward and there's good access. Have the PL's do written route plans and share 'em with you; make the adults do a written route plan and share it with them, so everyone knows where other patrols (and help) is if they need it. If it makes yeh feel better, issue cell phones or radios and establish check-in times, or have 'em flag a check point when they pass so yeh know they made it. If yeh feel one patrol is ready but another isn't, let the first patrol go and keep coachin' the second. That'll give 'em incentive to improve, and really recognize real "advancement!"

When they're good at basic independent campin' and hikin', test their judgment. Move up to harder routes, or throw 'em a curveball like the adults not showing up on time (they need to run a search & first aid scenario). By then, they should be getting confident, and the adults should be becoming more at ease with youth independence.

If at any point along the trail things "break", discuss it with 'em, let them troubleshoot, but pause and repeat or even back up and reinforce skills before movin' on.

Think about this da same way you think about teachin' your kids to drive. Yeh train 'em and coach 'em, then back off and observe them, then give 'em the keys for short/easy trips, then for longer trips. Usually there's one parent who's better at this than the other, eh? I still remember how much more comfortable it was for me to drive with my dad than my mom way back in the day. Mom Beavah was always nervous and uptight, and tended to micromanage each tap of the pedals rather than watch and guide. If you're the parent who is more controlling/more worrying, then step back and let the other parent (or scout leaders) move 'em along.

Beavah

Beavah,

The troop I serve does a variation of indep patrol camping which some might find appealing.

First off, we have mixed age patrols and we always keep patrols together, so doing one thing with younger guys while older are out of their own for the night is not an option. After crossover every year, we keep campouts fairly simple for a few months to allow plenty of learning time in the patrols. After the guys get the hang of it, we'll throw some zingers at them.

Example: Troop base camp on Fri night. Patrols spread out as local conditions allow. Program during the day. Mid-afternoon the PLs are given instructions to relocate their patrols to new locations. Sometimes this is using map&compass, sometimes they're just given GPS coordinates. They pack up and head out to set up their solo patrol campsite for the evening. The guys love it. After dark, adults and/or SPL usually sneak around to check on things. If conditions are really rough (severe cold, rain, etc.), we might openly visit a campsite for a few minutes. For a different twist, we'll hit them with a surprise relocation after dark. This adds extra adventure and avoids the hassle of hauling food and cooking stuff.

When prospective members and parents visit, we tell them upfront that we train our guys to go out for the night as patrols without adults. If they ask, well explain the build-up process. Occasionally a parent will object to this kind of unsupervised activity. We explain it is being supervised by the Patrol Leader and thats what we train him to do. If they dont like that, we gently suggest this probably isnt the best local troop for their son. (Fortunately there are options and one size does not fit all.)

We just started doing this about 4-5 years ago. The results have been great.

>>Example: Troop base camp on Fri night. Patrols spread out as local conditions allow. Program during the day. Mid-afternoon the PLs are given instructions to relocate their patrols to new locations. Sometimes this is using map&compass, sometimes they're just given GPS coordinates. They pack up and head out to set up their solo patrol campsite for the evening. The guys love it. After dark, adults and/or SPL usually sneak around to check on things. If conditions are really rough (severe cold, rain, etc.), we might openly visit a campsite for a few minutes. For a different twist, we'll hit them with a surprise relocation after dark. This adds extra adventure and avoids the hassle of hauling food and cooking stuff.