Patrols vs. cliques

Comments about cliques have led me to spin-off this thread

We have started to employ the patrol method a bit more in the troop that I serve. It has been a "troop method" troop for many years, so we've started slowly by dividing into patrols for games, whereas before it was just a "pick-em" process for games. We've also started having patrols ride together for trips, as much as feasible and of course, tent together.

There seems to be an undesireable consequence. The patrols are starting to become more "cliquish". And not really in a good way. More like they are starting to call the other patrols names and do not want to associate with each other in normal activities. We really do not want them to become adversaries, we'd like all to work together for the good of the troop. But it seems like more and more, the same boys stick together and never interact with the others.

My thoughts are perhaps less competitions, but they do enjoy them.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Jo

Don't try to change nature instead teach courtesy. Competinion between teanms is natural. But teams can compete with sportsmanship and put the sved energy and competitive drive into developing the team's skills.

Competition is not a bad thing. Our country was built on the competitive nature of free enterprize, sports are popular with people all all ages and both sexes because on the competitive nature of our society.

The role of the leader is to guide the energy in a positive way not try to stop it from existing. Encourage the competion by giving them skills to compete againstm but also teach sportsmanship and other positive values of scouting as you go.

Good idea.

I guess it's not just the competition aspect, but the fact that they tend to only interact with each other within the patrol, and don't seek out the others.

Since we have slightly age based patrols, this means that the older boys don't interact with the younger and vice versa.

Jo

Suggest that the SPL appoint an Instructor or two, or a Troop Guide. Those would be older experienced boys whose responsibility is to work with the newer less experienced boys. If the instructors are charged with signing the books of the younger Scouts for their area of expertise, you will find more interaction.

I second Bob White in that competition is instinctive for boys and you should use that to your advantage for good team building a Patrol bonding. Its in their boy nature; so learn how to use that positive energy for momentum toward their growth.

You seem to be pretty successful in the patrol method part of the program, but struggling a little in the application of the Scout Oath and Law. That is OK, it is just a matter of practice for the adults and we all have to learn and grow to build a mature scout program. Remind the scouts that they are to serve the other scouts by using the scout law all the time.

I find it interesting that you see a bit of the problem with the age based patrols. That is pretty perceptive. We experience the clickiness as well when the troop was more aged based and lot of it came from the leadership side. The troop had developed into a routine where the third year scouts inherited the PLC, whether they wanted it or not. The younger groups were dreading it, and the older groups were glad to move on. The ambitious leaders couldnt get in early or stay in once they were there. There werent any written rules about it, the clickiness just seem to pull it that way. There also wasnt the cohesiveness between the patrols groups that you seem to want as well. They got along OK, but they didn't have the pride of being part of a great troop.

We migrated to mixed age patrols and all that changed almost instantly. Patrol pride remained, but it was healthier now. The patrol leaders felt support from the other patrol leaders, which resulted in better leadership skills and the youth taking on more the responsibility of scout discipline. The PLC was much stronger with ages that ranged from 13 to 17 years old. Scout growth accelerated faster than the adults could imagine. A troop is only as good as its older scouts because they are the role models.

Keep up the good work.

Barry

Barry, I'm confused. You state that with age based patrols you experienced a "third year PLC" syndrome. With age based patrols, isn't a troop guaranteed a mixture of ages on the PLC due to the fact that each patrol is represented on the PLC? What am I missing?

Jo, assume you are female (I'm taking great risk here), you may not be as "into" the psyche of males and adolescent boys in particular. I find what you stated as much more "good" than "bad." Now, if the name calling is more in the line of patrol cheers, bravado, tongue in cheek, etc. and not over the line (cursing, hatefulness, etc.) I actually would view patrol pride a good thing. Think of the Army-Navy game - do you feel the interaction of cadets and midshipmen good thing that breeds pride or a juvenile, derogatory exhibition? (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Sure

Scoutmaster quietly reminds scouts during conferences of the scout spirit requiirement in most things scouting...especialkly the senior leadership which is reminded to remind the patrol leaders...sooner than later the clique leaders (the natural gang leaders BTW) wil get the drift and either go away or change...

mostly they go away but are replaced by more understanding and willing "leaders of the current right sort"

MCCET

PMTNPO

OWL

Has anyone read the Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens? Would seem to have some application here. Habits 4-6. Particularly the Win-Win bit.

I agree that competition is good - its being determined to win that is the problem.

What is the PL team like? Are they a team? If they are a team how can the Patrols compete to the point of being obnoxious? So maybe start working on developing the PLC into a PL's Patrol with the SM as PL. I have at times held PL camps with me as PL. No big agenda - just developing the team and some specific skills for them.

As far as group dynamics I don't see the difference between patrol autonomy and cliques. Camping apart from one another, competing against each other, developing it's own patrol "personality" is all part of scouting. Just ask a WB graduate what patrol they're from and why it's better than all the rest.

The PLC consists of only one person from each patrol that meets to coordinate inter-patrol activities. It functions as a clearinghouse of ideas and cooperation between leaders only. If patrol A wants to do something different than patrol B, fine, if A wants to invite B along, fine, if not, fine. If it's boy led, let the boys lead. If the esprit-de-corps of the one patrol makes one wonder if it's a clique, it probably is and it's not a bad thing.

Stosh