When I disagree with PLC decisions

Although I suspect the boys would rather have a campout with an activity the can do, rather than watch.

Hmmm..... like choosin' a camporee instead of NASCAR :).

Sometimes it's fun and even educational to watch! Especially if yeh get to look "up close" and talk to people doin' it. And they could take orientation flights, includin' going up with the skydivers and watching them jump out, all while working on Aviation MB. Or watchin' or helpin' work on the demolition cars while doin' Auto Mechanics MB. And both are great topics for Safety MB, eh?

Sometimes, when we close doors on the kids too early instead of lettin' them pursue their interests, we can miss a lot. Our job is to enable their dreams, not steer 'em toward our own.

Just a thought! :)

B

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

If the patrol method is being used, surely the PLC is limited in its ability to dictate any activity. Wouldn't it be more beneficial for the PLC to take its cue from the patrols?

If the PLC decides the "troop" is to attend camporee and one patrol decides to attend the ballet instead as a patrol activity, why would anyone complain? Do we not promote patrol method? or is patrol method secondary to troop method?

It always amazes me the many variations we all come up with to promote something that is supposed to be pretty basic and straight-forward.

When my "troop" meets, it meets as patrols. Each patrol is responsible for its own programming, outings and activities. If the older boys want to do GPS while the new boy patrol does basic compass work, great. But if two or more patrols want to all attend the same outing, then the PLC can assist in coordinating that logistics to make it happen. However if the PLC says, "Everyone is going to the camporee." and a patrol doesn't wish to, surely the scout literature supports such decisions on the part of a boy-led patrol method program.

Stosh