Leaders Roles in Troop

OGO,

This is how my troop defines the role''s:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SCOUTMASTER''S RESPONSIBILITY IN THE TROOP

The Scoutmaster shall be in charge of the program side of the Troop only. He will carry out his expected duties at Troop meetings, attend committee meetings, participate on camping trips and service projects, and sign off a Scout on mastered skills for his rank advancement. The Scoutmaster will work in close association with his assistants to provide a quality program for the boys. The Scoutmaster needs be notified of all program or schedule changes, including all issues or problems that will affect the BSA program within the Troop. The Scoutmaster will also work in close association with the Committee, and shall report to the Committee Chairman.

ASSISTANT SCOUTMASTER''S RESPONSIBILITY IN THE TROOP

The Assistant Scoutmaster''s responsibility in the Troop is to support the Scoutmaster by carrying out his/her assigned duties at the Troop meetings, participate in a support capacity on camping trips and service projects, and signing off when a Scout has mastered skills in his rank advancement.

JUNIOR ASSISTANT SCOUTMASTERS RESPONSIBILITY

Serves in the capacity of ASM except where legal age and maturity issues take precedent. Position Requirements: Life Scout or higher award. 16 to 17 year old. The position is assigned by

the Scoutmaster. Length of Service shall be until the Scouts 18th birthday, he reports to the Scoutmaster. His responsibilities shall include 1. Function as an ASM except for responsibilities reserved for adults 18 and 21 years or older. 2. Perform any duties assigned by the SM. He shall set a good example by enthusiastically wearing the Scout Uniform correctly, live by the Scout Oath and Law, and show good Scout spirit or attitude.

COMMITTEE''S RESPONSIBILITY IN THE TROOP

The committee''s responsibility in the Troop is to support the Scoutmaster in delivering a quality Troop program and handling the administrative areas of running the Troop.

PARENT''S RESPONSIBILITY IN THE TROOP

The adult leadership of this Troop donates a considerable amount of their free time to provide a quality program for your boys. We do this freely and with great enjoyment. However, the number of duties involved with properly running a Boy Scout Troop can at times be considerable. You can help us achieve our goal of running a quality Troop by coming forward to participate at some level in the activities of the Troop. Commitments can be small or large, short-term or long-term, but definitely are encouraged. At the very minimum, we would ask you to be available to provide transportation to and from Scouting events. Ideally, we would like at least one parent of each boy to become a registered member of the Troop. Only registered members of the Troop have a vote in the decision making process.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hope that this helps.

Pete

I think every troop is going to run a little differently. Since most of our boys are 10-13, our SM and ASMs have a much larger role in the troop than they would if they were all 16 and 17. They define the parameters, and the boys are free to run the program within them. They are fine men who are wonderful examples of what these boys should be striving to become.

I just don''t see how the blind leading the blind is the best method. Some skills take years to become proficient at, and to discard the wisdom and the knowledge of elders simply because they''re elder seems ridiculous to me. I''d personally like to see a return to the pre-70s style of Scouting.

The Troop Committee Guidebook and Scoutmaster Handbook have good discussions about adult leader roles and responsibilities. If committee members are unsure what their role is and who is handling what functions, there''s a fair chance that somebody''s toes are going to get stepped on, and some functions will be left undone. The Guidebook is a good place to start figuring it all out. It provides a way for everyone to be on the same page. The Troop Committee Challenge training is a good resource too.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I've been a little out there but something has come up with my son's patrol that this thread may be addressing. I've been through Wood Badge but I don't have the stamina to be an ASM. However, one of the dads of my 12 year old's patrol of 4 wants to be an ASM. He has told me that he is not that knowledgeable about Scouting but sees a lot of hazardous situations that could be averted with the right leadership. I want to help but I feel that I have no role as a committee member. I feel that I could help him with our son's patrol but I am not sure how to do that? Could you guys give me some feed back. I will tell you that the SM is doing a pretty good job, the SPL will be 18 in December and is finishing his Eagle Project and my ASM is the PL's father.

I think it might be useful for this dad to sit down with the Scoutmaster and have this discussion. Some of what he is seeing might really be a safety issue, and in that case, the SM may be grateful for the additional set of eyes.

On the other hand, some of this may be the natural tendency of any parent of a 12 year old to be protective. For example, cooking is dangerous (hot stuff, knives, heavy cast iron pans, potentially under-cooked food, etc.). If his solution is to do it for the boys, then that's not a good thing. On the other hand, if his solution is to help troop leadership teach the boys how to cook more safely, that's another matter and again, the SM might be thrilled to help him find his role as an ASM.

In my experience though, it is really hard for most people to be ASMs assigned specifically to work with their own kids. He might do better to be a sort of general ASM for the next several months, with an eye toward working with the new scouts who cross into the troop in Feb/March? Just a couple of thoughts.

Yah, Lisabob is spot on.

Just like any job or volunteer position, he needs to (1) get training and then (2) develop experience while being actively supervised before he's going to be able to contribute meaningfully (or understand all the safety issues, and where a troop accepts risks because the benefits are so important to kids).

And a parent should avoid being an ASM for their own son's patrol. Kids at Boy Scout age need space to make the program theirs. A new ASM in particular doesn't have the experience to navigate that well.

Beavah

All valid points. As a trained leader for my position (which is pre-requisite for Wood Badge) I know well the slogan "Every Boy deserves a trained leader." I am particularly aware of the different opportunities for training for ASMs and so I will follow-up with him regarding this vital need.

But please folks, what about me? Can I be part of this "new adventure?" What about the anonymous saying "You never stand so tall as when you stoop to help a child?" It's not like I'm looking at my son's patrol, but I want to help all the younger Scouts. There are deficiencies that I think I can shed light on with my newfound Wood Badge knowledge.

Ditto on ASM's working with their own son's patrol. My previous troop allowed it but it didn't always work well. My current troop discourages it. I don't serve in any advisory position where I could have a conflict of interest with my son.

Scoutldr wrote: The SMs primary job is to train and mentor the SPL. THe SPL runs the program, and trains and mentors the other members of the PLC.

True in many troops, but it doesn't have to be limited to the SM. Our SM's son was just elected ASPL, which in our troop means that he will be promoted to SPL in six months. So, in order to stay in check with the "no parents advising their own blood" guideline, an experienced ASM will begin working with the SPL and ASPL instead of the SM. And that's OK.

One of the aims of Scouting is association with adults. If your son spends a lot of time working with you, that's not happening to the extent that it should. Working with or teaching a relative is an entirely different dynamic than when working with someone unrelated.

With Troop elections coming up I as SM stand in front of the potential situation where my son may wind up being elected to the SPL position. Any Scout may be elected to any position at any (six month) election. We do not have the no blood relative rule mentioned above although we do avoid it for MB and rank advancement conflicts.

Frankly, in my particular situation, in our troop, with my particular parenting dynamic, and my sons outlook on Scouting - I would rather be the one to advise and train him in this position.

Although I would rather see him PL or APL first, he was elected to the QM for his first 6 month cycle in Scouting - and that was an eye opener for him, although he was working exclusively with the Committee equipment person who is also his patrols ASM.

encourager, I am a Committee Member too, and it hasn't precluded me from being involved in my son's Troop. I am actually somewhat mentoring our new SPL right now.

It helps that I am the Advancement Chair, that I coordinate all BOR's, that I keep all the Troop files and library at my house, am the Troop webmaster and keep the online calendar updated for the unit, and I am also the Fundraising chair. I have a lot of vital information to pass on to the SPL that can help him, I make copies for him, print stuff from the internet and all that jazz. He'll get the attendance and give it to me so I can put it in our Troopmaster software program - etc. The SPL, SM and ASMs have learned they get regular reports from me on who needs what requirements, who has what partial Merit Badges, I print the calendar, keep the Unit Roster updated, etc.

I don't get TOO involved in what I consider SM business, though I admit it's hard because I have had SM training too, and I am more available to our SPL than is the SM, because I am the only active Adult Leader who doesn't work outside the home. So I am the one that's able to make the runs to Council to put $ on the Scout account, pick up advancements, handle the tour permits and permission slips, the fundsraising, shuffle paperwork for or to whomever, etc. I prefer to define my role with the Troop as supportive to the whole, actually. I provide any member with any support they need, basically whenever they need it.

As far as I know, everyone seems OK with my function in the Troop and seem appreciative?? I guess someone would say something if they weren't or felt I was over-stepping?

I don't get involved in general at Troop meetings nor hang out with any Patrol to get in on what they're doing. I am usually "there" though - and see what's going on. If I see one of the boys doing something I believe is a safety issue I give it a second or two to see if one of the other boys will rectify the situation. If that doesn't help - I admit it - I will say something! Usually it's something like, (signs up) "Hey! your SPL is trying to run the meeting, let's give him your attention and stop goofing off!"

In one case we had a boy who was asked repeatedly by the SPL and other Scouts to be quiet and listen, stop harassing them and pay attention, quit touching them, etc. He was having some trouble chattering, and keeping his hands and feet to himself. By the 4th incident I saw the kid had a pen in his hand and was pretending to stab another Scout in the neck, I admit it, I got concerned! And I told the boy - "****, your behavior is unacceptable! You have been asked SEVERAL times to settle down. This is your last warning! Next time you WILL be asked to leave the meeting!"

At that point I felt I had no choice but to say something **shrug**

Looking at PeteM's definition of adult leader roles, I guess you could say I am doing too much :) But I believe that almost everything I do falls under "Committee Responsibility" - I do try and stay out of all other aspects, unless I have something administrative in nature to offer or if there is a safety/disciplinary issue.

Our SM lets the SPL and ASPL run the meetings and campouts, our ASMs are the SM's support, and our Committee supports the whole Unit.

I don't know if this helps or not, but that's how it works in our Troop.

Dear Joni4TA, thanks for your reply. It addressed what my major concern is. I have seen other female adult leaders (non-ASM) take on the same role as you. My troop secretary has the best Scout spirit and so her son is one of the youngest (& most mature) Eagle Scouts we have. It's not that she's bossy, but is there to "lend a hand." She and the CC's wonderful wife are exactly the models I need in order to be productive on the troop level. I understand now that we have the freedom to help without an actual title other than MC. Thank you for your response. I can serve now with humble understanding.

Gratefully, yours in Scouting,

Sylvia