Grocery Shopping for Campouts

How do your patrols shop for groceries for upcoming camping trips? How do you collect the money for it?

Right now the way it works in our Troop is anyone in the Patrol that is attending the campout shops, so if 5 boys are going they all meet and shop. Usually then one of the parents pays for it and gets the money from the Scouts the night they leave for camping or the night of shopping after the bill is totaled.

Problems with this....1. Boys that sign up to attend camping and then don't show up to shop. Food will be bought for them and then they fail to show up for camping. Their portion of the grocery bill is then left with the parent that paid for the groceries.

2. Boys that show up late shopping, often waiting 15-20 for them to show up or waiting after we are done shopping for their parents to pick them up. Often times shopping takes 1-1 1/2 hours to complete.

In our last Troop we had a Grubmaster and an assistant grubmaster. The meeting before the camping trip a menu was made along with a grocery list. Money was colleted $8-10 from each Scout attending. The grubmaster and asst. grubmaster then made their own plans on the best time to shop, they were then responsible for keeping the items cold and transported to the campout. Any money left over was divided among the Scouts that paid, if they went over the money that they had, the Scouts would choose items that they could do without. (They carried a calculator with them as they shopped so they kept track, instead of at the check out.) Please note that the Grubmaster and the Asst. Grubmaster rotates with each campout.

There is some concern that if a Grubmaster and Asst. Grubmaster do the shopping for the entire patrol, not enough will be bought and that each Scout ddoesn't experience the full planning experience.

What are your feelings about this? How does your Patrols plan and shop?

I think menu planning and a grocery list is essential in the whole camp planning experience and there is no need for everyone in the patrol to go. It is not unreasonable for the Scout to bring their money to the meeting prior to the camping trip to give to the grubmaster.

I am looking forward to seeing how other Troops and Patrols handle this. Our committee couldn't come up with anything after a lenghty debate and has decided to form a "committee" to discuss this fuller to present something to the entire committee next month.

Please note that some of the Scouts at the last shopping trip, just thought it was ridiculous the time it took to shop for a backpacking menu. And that no matter what we come up with as adults in the end it will be up to the Scouts to decide, but want to offer them suggestions on how to streamline this task.

THANKS for all your help.

Grubmaster rotate per campout. One scout becomes the grubmaster for the campout. It is up to the patrol on who is going to be the grubmaster. The grub master collects the money (10 dollars)for the campout the week of the campout on Monday night at the troop meeting.

The patrol prepares a menu the menu is approved by the Scoutmaster. Menu also has a list of ingredients needed for the menu.

In our troop, the patrol grubmaster will rotate for each trip. For younger scouts they need to do this for rank advancement purposes. The boys on the trip either bring money to the meeting before the trip or, more typically, settle up by the end of the camp out.

One weakness to this system is that often it is the parent of the grubmaster that does all the planning and shopping. We use a grubmaster form that they are supposed to complete and get approved by the SPL the meeting before but soetimes this step is lost. If someone syas they are on the trip and food is purchased for them, then they are expected to pay.

The troop used to charge a set amount for food as part of the cost of the trip and the patrol grubmaster would be reimbursed by the troop but we moved this back to the patrol level a few years ago. It is more chaotic but is more in line with the patrol method.

Each patrol chooses their grubmaster. Some use the same person for a six month period, others rotate it each campout. Our budget is $3 per person per meal. They can spend up to that much and get reimbursed. So, if a campout has four meals provided, and six scouts are going, that's $72. The scout turns in the receipt after the activity and the treasurer reimburses it.

momofcolin,

Personally, I think your "last troop" had it more right than your new troop. Whether it is $10 or $72 dollars no parent should be put in the position of "bank rolling" the troop or the patrol. We do it by patrols the troop is not involved (except the SPL does approve meal plan). The money does not flow in or out of the troop bank account. If the funds collected are more than the boys need in the end, the extra is split and returned to the "shareholders".

The Monday before a camp is called "MONEY MONDAY"...sorta catchy, huh? The patrols finalize menu including general portion amounts and duty rosters. Grubmaster is roatated camp by camp like all duties. For the older patrols a committee of two or three scouts are assigned to help the grubmaster shop. This is not the case for our New Scout Patrols. While a grubmaster is still chosen and holds the money, the whole patrol goes on most of the shopping trips (with exceptions) so they can all learn the job faster. Grubmaster usually splits the shopping list and two NSP teams swarm through the store.

Generally our parents are "prepped" to expect a tab of $10 to $15.00 per weekend ( it averages about $11 per boy for most events...though our older patrols sometimes "bust the bank" with steaks and/or other high dollar fair)...We make sure parents are clear on the obligations (boys not mom and dad should be funding most of this type of extravagance).

Boys who do not bring money on Money Monday are expected to either make arrangements to get money to the grubmaster or show up at the store with cash in hand, even though they might not be on the shopping committee. If neither task is accomplished (boy is a no show at the store) the grubmaster pares the menu down and the "un-funded boy" is called (usually by cell phone as they leave the store) - and told to bring his own food (same menu items)...if he shows at all. That way no parent is put in the position of chasing a 12 Y. O. for cash if food is bought and the boy doesn't go n the trip.

NSPs usually take the most time but with the assistance of their guides by the end of their first year they are "cruzing" right along say... 45 minutes.

As to the portions size or amount of food not being enough..."patrol rule" is everyone is served an equal portion before anyone eats...and if someone is "short" it must be the grubmaster and his committee...the results- we see food uneaten... but rarely not enough food. And every patrol has PB&J as a back up at every camp...

and about the boys deciding how they want to do it...with all due respect- Uhh uhh, sorry, not with my money..boy led does not mean they have control over our money...if the boys want to collect money at the rally point...or even after the campout- they can use their own money and not mom's and dad's...lets be real here- unless it is their money they are playing with when it is collected is troop committee - policy territory.

Anarchist

We have a very small troop so it really is just one patrol. Menu plans and shopping list are finalized Monday night before the weekend campout. The Grubmaster is rotated for each trip. This is usually someone who needs the requirement for rank advancement, but not always. Scouts budget $10 per Scout for food which is also paid on Monday before we go. I always take the time to talk to the parent of the Scout responsible for the shopping making it clear that it is the Scout's responsibility to do the shopping and what he is trying to accomplish: learn to read labels for serving quantities, stay within his budget, etc.

Our troop has one ASM assigned as Grubmaster. Each patrol going camping is required to have two shoppers. There are anywhere from three to six patrols per campout. The budget is 13.00 to 15.00 per person for the weekend. We pay with a troop check.

We meet at the store Thursday night, parents accompany the two patrol shoppers to be sure they are looking for deals and not just grabbing the first pancake mix they see. Teach them to comparison shop and generally keep them focused.

We all meet at the checkout, single file, and get a sub total by patrol. If they are over budget, out go the chip's, soda or other misc. garbage food.

Then we all meet at the barn, put perishables in the fridge, frozen in the freezer and dry goods in the grub boxes. At Friday evening departure the shoppers need to gather their food, load it in their patrol cooler / grub box. Load the trailer and off we go...

Works for us

YIS,

John

Our scouts pay a camp-out fee about two weeks prior to the event and that includes money for food. Our policy reads that refunds will only be made if no costs have been incurred and that includes user fees for the campsite as well as food and any other expenses. So, although we rarely have people back out last minute anyway, when they do, they know better than to ask for their money back.

We also rotate grubmaster and the patrols usually pick a different person each time. In the NSP sometimes the troop guide or (on occasion) the ASM patrol advisor will go with them but otherwise it is up to that one scout to get the food. We've had a few minor disasters but no one has starved yet (in a serious pinch the adults would help out but if it is something minor then the patrol will have to improvise a bit). They learn from these disasters. I know the campout when my son's patrol planned on having sandwiches and french toast but they left bread off their shopping list was a bit of an eye opener! Same with the one where they bought a bunch of ice cream in June and had no way to keep it cold all weekend.

Push your committee to give the boys a little more individual responsibility here - they can do this and it is not going to hurt them. "Train them, trust them, let them lead" RIght?

WAHOO!! Glad to get so many responses in such a fast time. I am going to print all these out and present this. I talked to two of the other Troops we have been associated with and they also assign grubmasters.

This is a great forum to share ideas of what works and doesn't.

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!

Don't be shy though, if you have more answers or experiences, please still share.

We are fortunate to have a grocery store 1/2 block from where we rendezvous for all outings. Each Patrol appoints a Grubmaster as part of the duty roster for the outing. After getting a headcount of who showed up in his patrol the Grubmaster checks with me to finalize his Patrol budget. Camping fee X # present. The Grubmaster then goes to the grocery store and shops. The store owner is a supporter of Scouting and allows the boys to charge there groceries. They return to the rendezvous point with groceries and a receipt.They are real good about it. I have only once had to have a Grubmaster return frivilous items. When I get all the receipts, I turn them over to the Troop Treas. along with the camp fees paid and he sends a check to the grocer. The advantage is convenience and good cost control i.e. no food purchased in advance for a no-show or rebating advance-paid fees. Disadvantage- we have to meet about 1 hour sooner than normal to allow shopping time.

In our troop...

campout signup closes 2 weeks before trip. you pay your campout fee which includes camping, food and gas depending on length of trip and occasionally $5.00 for lunch on the ride home.

the next monday is menu planning and duty roster day. the patrols meet and plan their menus and work out the duty roster. now they have a box opf recipes that they work out of so it speeds things up. they elect a grubmaster/shopper. the menus/Shopping list and duty rosters get approved by Sm or ASM. the grubmaster then heads to the treasurer for money. we usually budget $10 per scout unless it's the annual cooking campout then it jumps to $15.

the grubmaster has to turn in reciepts and any unspent cash at the next meeting.

with the new scouts we usually take them to the local grocery store for a "shopping field trip".

We use a standard menu form with attached shopping list.

MomofColin,

Greetings!

My troop has adopted similar methods from other units. (I wish I could say, we were the original, Boy Led Troop...lol).

Our Patrol Leaders have the Boy Scout Handbook, BSA Fieldbook, Patrol Leaders Handbook, and Patrol Leaders binder. Inside the binder are phone tree, Troop Calendar, Troop meeting forms, uniform inspection sheets, permission slips, but specific to your question. there are menu planning sheets and Duty rosters.

Two menu planning sheets are two duty rosters are written for each campout. One for the PL and APL, and a duplicate for their respective ASM. As far as Grubmaster, we do not have a rotation set, but we do inform the PL's who needs to plan, budget and purchase for advancement.

We have notified all of the parents that a 2 day weekend is expected to be 15 dollars for grub and a 3 day weekend is 20 dollars. This is collected in advance and handed over from the PL to our Troop Committee Treasurer. The money amount is not so large, so we state "No refunds" for cancellation. With email, we confirm which parents are aware that their Scout has grubmaster, so they are aware in advance. More writing and documentation, but it assures that the money is there upfront and no one goes hungry.

Further, with the two duty rosters (one of the PL/APL and a duplicate for the ASM). A favorite statement is "I cooked this morning, so I should have to clean". We also attempt to discourage parents from sending 48 hours of supplemental food rations. Some Scouts arrive with a backpack full of Vienna sausages and pop tarts. They seem to believe, if they did not eat their Patrols food, they should not be responsible for cleaning.

We have considered, "Everyone in the Patrol conducts KP for each meal" However, we may move to the "cooks conduct KP for their meal". Which would prevent burning and they would observe the amount of time left on the stove.

But Bottom line about Grocery Shopping. A set dollar amount for the weekend is established. The monies are collected before hand, given to the Treasurer, then re-distributed to the Grubmaster. Good Luck and Bon Appetite!!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

• 4 weeks later...

JerseyJohn - I like that idea!

My troop includes the cost of the food in with the cost of transportation, reserving the camp ground, etc - total cost usually comes out to about $15 for a weekend campout. One scout from each patrol buys that patrol's food, and turns the receipts in to the treasurer for reimbursement. The general rule is $2.50 per person per meal - usually comes out to be more than enough. If a patrol goes a little over that, an ASM and patrol leader review the rules, and encourage better adherence. Some patrols will knowingly go over, and pitch in to make up what the troop won't cover (like for when they want steak 3 meals a day... whatever...)

As far as time requirements... yes, buying food for a camping trip can be a lengthy process. A scout has to try to get the most food for the least money, plan a balanced menu, think about food storage/refrigeration, available cooking utensils, etc - a little bit more complex than shopping for home, especially for an 11 year old. Eventually, scouts won't be taking that long, as they gain more experience, and plan ahead well.