What is the Patrol Method, And How do I implement it (well)?

Howdy

I read GernBlansten's post about his Troop being a "Webelos III", and it appears that his troop mirrors what mine is going through.

First, some history. When my son crossed over, they most definately WERE a camping and badge club. There was ZERO leadership from the boys, all positions were for the sake of advancement. One year they graduated 5 Eagles out of 6 boys. I knew there was somethign wrong with the troop, but any concerns I ever raised about what was going on was met with resistance, or downright "You cant deny my son becoming an Eagle Scout!" anger.

Within a year, I was asked to help out, first by honchoing trips, and, then by becoming an ASM. I went to various trainings, and 'saw the light' as to the correct way to do things. As an ASM, with help from another, like-minded ASM, and a SM that wasnt quite sure what direction to go, we started 'turning the battleship'. It hasnt been easy, and we've lost a lot of the older boys, specifically because 'things have gotten harder' with their leadership roles.

This past year, I was asked to take over as SM, and this past January I took the reigns. Along with a new SPL, and a handful of new PLs, I'm completing the turn to be a "boy run" troop. We've had regular PLCs, and, though they're not always pretty, the boys do most of the planning. The adult roles at the PLC is advisor. Same goes for Troop meetings.

But, its still a hard row to hoe. Lots of the boys have been in the troop for several years, and are resisting the change by being passive-agressive (i.e. disruptive, but not overly so, just slowing things down).

But, they never said the job would be easy.

RMcCown: our troop was in the same position a couple of years ago. Always adult run. PORs for the sake of advancement. No real boy leadership or responsibility at all. Further examples? When my younger son joined this troop and was preparing for his first campout with them. He came home saying he didn't need a mess kit. The troop used paper plates, plastic utensils and cups. SM did all the food shopping. Husband and I were soon to find out that our questioning of these and other methods was met with displeasure from the "old guard" in charge of the Troop. Gads, what a mess.

Within the year SM was stepping down. No one willing to take his place. Troop Committee asked my husband, but his work schedule would not permit it. So, it by default fell to me - the girl. Upon announcing that I was taking the SM position, all the other ASMs quit and a couple of the older Scouts left for another troop.

Oh well, some of the dead weight off our shoulders and time to start turning the ship around. With all honesty I will say the first year was terrible. Like you, I was met with much resistance from the few remaining older Scouts who did not like the idea of having to actually DO something. Looking back I would say that I did not enjoy that first year one bit. It was simply a struggle to stay afloat, but then that was my main objective.

Second year was better. New recruits and the handful of 12-13 year old Scouts we had remaining started to learn how a Boy Scout Troop should really operate.

Now into our third year, we are still a very small troop but our guys are active, contributing members of THEIR troop and it has been a remarkable transformation. We still have work to do, but no longer taking two steps backward for every step forward.

"They never said the job would be easy" - you are so right. It's the difficult tasks that are the most rewarding in the end. Good luck to you and your troop.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made two changes since taking over as SM and they apply to methods of camping. 1. I eliminated troop field kitchens; 2. Requiring patrols to really camp in a more isolated, independent fashion.

Kitchen

It had been that all patrol boxes and cooking gear were co-located. This made for "Too many cooks in the kitchen". I now require that the patrols set up their patrol kitchen wherever they set up their patrol at camp.

Patrol Camp site

The patrols are spread out, traditional style, as far from each other as they can be.

This does a few things....

Gives them true independence as a functioning patrol. It's just them, 200 feet away from everyone else.

Increases their self reliance, they can't easily ask members of another patrol how to do something - they have to rely on each other.

Avoids what I call "Critical Mass" A group of scouts greater than X, in any situation, will increase the madness by a factor of four.

Reinforces their patrol bond due to "isolation". They set up their turf, take ownership of it, and get it done more effectively.

A boy leader will always be more effective in a patrol setting than he will be in a larger group setting. It is a more conducive environment for the cream to rise to the top, allow the PL to be a true leader for the other boys in his charge.

The patrols more readily develop a patrol identity. They are more open to being critical of the slacker scout when not in the immediate vicinity of another patrol or adult.

Also known as "Divide and Conquer" :-)

YIS,

John

Congratulations, John, you are beginning to better understand what the patrol method is all about. It's not about troops, it's about patrols, their independence, their espirit-de-corps and their stability as a group. A troop is a confederation of independent patrols, NOT an independent entity with patrol sub-groups. The troop serves the patrols not vice versa.

Stosh