Woods Wisdom or Troop Program Features

Which resource does your troop PLC use to do planning? Woods Wisdom or Troop Program Features?

Which do you like best? Is one any better than the other?

I sometimes refer to old handbooks, how about you?

I appreciate your comments.

Gonzo1(This message has been edited by Gonzo1)

• 2 months later...

Just in case this hasn't been tossed aroud enough yet, you can use either. Or you can freelance to a certain extent. Flexibility is an often overlooked option. In that I mean there is nothing wrong with the boys taking a different or new direction. We need to be careful that we don't become to regimented. I'm on the backside now looking over my shoulder at you guys and gals who are now active. That being said, I look back at the times I tried to follow a set plan and realize that maybe it wasn't the best choice. Sometimes we can learn from what we do. That is an opportunity for the boys to experience making choices and the results of those decisions. As times passes I learned it's not if we followed a set plan as much as the boys had an opportunity to grow.

Most of the time, we use neither.

Guys decide on the campouts they want and we use meetings to get ready.

A few months ago, they wanted to do a wilderness survival theme, so meetings were dedicated to learning how to build various shelters, natural bedding, signaling, solar stills, etc.

Before that, it was orienteering, so we brushed up on compass skills and reading contour maps.

Now we have a camporee coming up, so main emphasis is on competition skills.

Next will be a fun water campout, so safe swim, canoeing, and water rescue drills will be the emphasis.

Your mileage may vary.

-mike