Factory Scouting

I'm confused.

Kudu, it seems to me that you are saying that Patrol Cooking is one of the fundamentals and a necessary requirement for the Patrol Method and Real Scouting:

"real Scouting which is based on the Patrol Method. At a bare minimum this would include ... 2) Patrol Cooking: ALL meals cooked in the Scouts' permanent Patrols; ...."

"If its not done in Patrols, its not Scouting: ... The bottom line is Patrol Cooking. "

And, it seems, that Patrol Method started in 1923 and was replaced in 1972 by changes in the program which created Factory Scouting:

"The BSA did not adopt the Patrol Method as a "radical change in the management of troops" until September 21, 1923, "

" the BSA promoted William Hillcourt's BSA Patrol Method as it did before the 1972 Scouting massacre, then ALL "units" would see the Patrol Method as its most basic Scouting "need."

I don't know all the ins and outs of boy scout history, but I do have a copy of the 5th edition "Scouting for Boys" handbook printed in 1950. For second class, the requirements include having to cook several meals for yourself. For first class, the requirements include having to cook several meals for yourself and one other person. The handbook does not include any description or instructions for patrol cooking. The menu ideas, recipes, and equipment lists are all for a single person. So, it seems in 1950, patrol cooking wasn't a focus or a requirement, yet that was during the period of the Patrol Method, 22 years before Factory Scouting.

Can you help me understand the discrepancy?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know all the ins and outs of boy scout history, but I do have a copy of the 5th edition "Scouting for Boys" handbook printed in 1950. For second class, the requirements include having to cook several meals for yourself. For first class, the requirements include having to cook several meals for yourself and one other person. The handbook does not include any description or instructions for patrol cooking. The menu ideas, recipes, and equipment lists are all for a single person. So, it seems in 1950, patrol cooking wasn't a focus or a requirement, yet that was during the period of the Patrol Method, 22 years before Factory Scouting.

Can you help me understand the discrepancy?

Thanks for the interesting question!

Patrol cooking was the norm for camping but by definition it was a group activity. The backwoods cooking and bivouac camping requirements for a single Scout (or for him and his buddy) were in preparation for a Scout's individual Journey, which was the final test for each Award in Scouting.

The Second Class Journey was similar to our own "5 Mile Hike," but adult-free and usually required cooking.

The First Class Journey was the first of the adult-free backpacking Journeys. It required a Scout to go on a 15 mile overnight journey alone or with a buddy and cook his own meals.

At one time the BSA had a similar First Class requirement: "Make a round trip alone (or with another Scout) to a point at least seven miles away (14 miles in all), going on foot, or rowing a boat, and write a satisfactory account of the trip and things observed."

The required Venturer Badge includes a Journey of at least 20 miles, on foot or by boat, with not more than 2 other Scouts. The route must be one with which the Scout is not familiar and should, if possible, include stiff country. Cook and sleep out, using only the gear carried in a rucksack.

Older Scouts qualifying for the equivalent of Eagle were also encouraged to undertake a 50 mile Journey in wild country with no more than 5 Scouts, lasting four days with the three nights all spent at different campsites.

Some editions of Scouting for Boys did include Patrol cooking requirements, but if you can imagine sending the Second Class Scouts in your own Troop on a 15 mile journey with no adults as the final test of their First Class skills, you can understand why the focus in the requirements leading up to that would be on their individual camping skills, even though your camping is done in Patrols.

Kudu