Execution of Patrol Method

When setting up camp how does the troop set up the patrols? Are they physically separated? If there is a pavilion is it OK to have all of the patrols underneath it even though they may cook separately? If the troop has a large garage, should all of the patrols set up their chuck boxes under it and cook and clean all together?

My opinion is that patrols should be physically separated. Even if it is only by 25 feet or so. Each patrol should have their own separate area. Having their own table, 5 feet away from another patrol, does not constitute having their own area.

My opinion again, this is NOT patrol method. Am I wrong on this? Is there any written documentation on how to "execute" the patrol method?

Welcome to the forum Chip! Lot's of good advice and certainly some opinions here too. I am also a believer of the patrols'having seperate areas for tents and cooking. Problem is each outing we get 2 or 3 from a patrol going and thats a lot of gear and time and food that is not being properly utilized. I think you will find good patrol info with diagrams and photos in the Boy Scout handbook and fieldbook. I use my old 80's versions still and that info is still good! Drop in the forums often- soon you'll be addicted like me.

Hiya Chippewa!

Like everything, "it depends." There can be all kinds of reasons why on a given campout the patrols are close together. The most likely one is the size of the site (or of the garage, if there's a reason to be cookin' in a garage).

But yah, in general I agree with you. Yeh want patrols to be autonomous, to learn to be self-reliant. There are lots of ways to work on that, but one of the good ones is if it's at least slightly inconvenient to break up and mix with other patrols, either personally, or for gear, or whatever.

Chippewa_Dan writes:

My opinion is that patrols should be physically separated. Even if it is only by 25 feet or so.

Baden-Powell said that the Patrols should be AT LEAST 300 feet apart, which makes him 12 times more radical than you! "This latter is with a view to developing the responsibility of the Patrol Leader for his distinct unit."

See The Inquiry Net:

http://www.inquiry.net/patrol/traditional/100_yards.htm

We should note that B-P was writing about the "Patrol System" in which appointed Patrol Leaders have more responsibility than they do in the BSA's "Patrol Method." "But to get first-class results from this system you have to give the boy leaders real free-handed responsibility-if you only give partial responsibility you will only get partial results."

Kudu

WOW! 3 responses already! Thank you all so much for your feedback. My situation is that I am a new committee chair (3 months) and I have a SM who believes that you can effectively execute the patrol method with all of the patrols being together. My Woodbadge training (Beaver-C-26-05)tells me otherwise. Our patrols lack individual identity and I am having a difficult time getting the SM to buy into this idea. Consequently I am looking here and other places for confirmation that I am correct. I would love to have our patrols 100 yards apart but many of the places that we go do not have that much room. We normally have 10-20 boys (sometimes 30) and at least 4 adults go on every campout. I guess my view of patrol method is more of a "purist" view vs. a "morphed" view (combo of troop method and patrol method). I firmly believe that the patrol method is the ONLY way to run a troop.

I firmly believe that the patrol method is the ONLY way to run a troop.

Green Bar Bill would be proud. :)

But now you've got a different problem. As CC, you cannot, must not dictate to the SM how to run the program. That's what we call discourteous micromanaging. From your committee position, it's quite likely that you don't see clearly some of the obstacles to moving to more of a patrol method that the SM sees.

So yeh have to figure out how to move gently, while inspiring the SM with your respect.

I'd suggest that you try to nudge him into WB, eh? Seems like you've got a good bunch of staffers locally. Invite him to a gatherin' over cheese and beverage with your WB patrol. Let them join you in the "pitch" - not of Patrol Method, but of WB. At the gathering, talk about how great your SM is in front of him to your fellow WB's. Make da WB community something that he wants to feel more a part of.

Your SM has to discover the Patrol Method himself for anything to work. Then, as when he slowly gets started in a year or so, your job is to watch his back and handle the pitch to the uncertain parents.

Beavah

and a good ol' Beavah too.

This is indicative of the posting I made. The SM feels that by actually doing the patrol method he's fragmenting up his troop. How can he be responsible for the troop when it is going in 3-4 different directions at the same time.

I have not seen your post but leaders are not supposed to do what is convenient for them, rather to do what is best for the boys. True the patrol method may not be convenient but it accomplishes the task of creating patrol identity. He/she can be responsible for many patrols by delegating to the ASM's.

How can he be responsible for the troop when it is going in 3-4 different directions at the same time.

By trainin' and working with (and through) the Patrol Leaders. Takes more effort on the SM's part, eh? And more trust. Yeh really have to do a good job teachin' them, not just checkin' off a box. And then yeh really have to trust your teaching job, and the boys.