Between meetings for the SPL

I've noticed that my SPL is somewhat inconsistent with his preparation for troop meetings. Sometimes, he has everything well planned ahead of time (we have monthly PLC meetings) and other meetings, he has done nothing to prep for it or he calls some people to help with things an hour before the meeting. Obviously, those meetings don't go off well at all. This is his third term (non-consecutive) as SPL, so he definitely knows how to get things done.

How, without hounding him constantly, do you get your SPL to make sure he is well prepared for each troop meeting? Are there any tools I can give him to help him with that weekly task?

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like your troop is really doing a fine job of dumping all the responsibility onto one scout.

I would suggest having the SPL function like an SPL. He's in charge of the leadership staff of youth. He is not the one that does all the work any more than the SM is supposed to do all the adult work.

My SPL has instructed each PL that they are responsible for planning out and presenting a meeting for the evening (flags, program instruction, game, closing flags). They as a patrol they plan out what is necessary and have the plan and equipment ready when notified. When the SPL announces that they will be responsible for the following meeting, the patrol gears up for the last minute detailing. The SPL's patrol (Honors Patrol) has a backup plan "B" of their own in case a patrol slips up with their assignment.

Like any leadership, it is not an individual's responsibility to do it all. Delegation is a major part of one's leadership skill package. If they cannot delegate, they cannot lead.

Stosh

All ideas here are good. One of the issues you may be dealing with is lack of routine for the scouts at home. If you can somehow get them to dedicate an hour every week at a certain time, that may help your problem.

Personally I think a month is way too long for young men with limited leadership experience to try and stay on top of task that are weeks away. They need weekly goals with weekly communication for accountibility. Our Troop solve this by replacing monthly PLC meetings with weekly 30 minute meetings.

I am not suggesting that kind of change, but instead understanding how difficult it is for boys of this age to keep up with a task four weeks away. Find a way to develop a routine for them that can be checked so the scouts knows where they are at in reference to the deadline.

Good luck

Barry

Barry, I like the idea of the weekly meetings, however, I think the meeting needs to have some structure more than a week in advance. If you're going to bring a guest speaker in, one week may be too short of notice.

I think the PLC should meet maybe once every two months to plan the meeting topic and such. Then, each week make sure the meeting a week or two in the future are planned out.

Back in my days as an SM, what worked for my troop was a 5 to 10 minute huddle by the Junior Leaders/PLC at the end of the meeting. In this huddle they would both discuss what worked/did not work that night and they would go over the tasks of the following meeting (as preplanned at the previous month's PLC meeting).

• 3 months later...

What my boys do....

At my Green Bar, the boys plan all of the upcoming months meeting plans, which includes;

1. Service patrol

2. Game patrol

3. Skills session activities and instructor(s)

4. Announcements

YIS,

John

I too have been frustrated by a lack of follow-through or effort by our SPL. More often than not, school sports or band, etc. seem to be the priority after they are elected instead of the position. I try to emphasize that SPL is not just a title - there are duties involved.

A couple of things I am trying to improve meeting planning are very regular emails with the SPL. He sends out the meeting plans and updates on what he is working on. I encourage communication by having him cc the PLC so they know what is going on. They also get an idea of what is involved with the SPL position.

The other new thing I am trying this spring is meeting weekly with the SPL. Our CO has a wednesday evening meal each week where the SPL and any other PLC meet each week. It works great because we are at our regular meeting location, the boys get a free meal, it is public so no one-on-one, and we can have good discussions about projects since we have a lot of time.

We are still struggling with planning ahead, but I expect things will get better.

In our troop, the SPL is the leader of the leaders. He is not head program honcho. He does not lead the meetings, nor does he run the show. He coordinates other leaders.

Each patrol in the troop is to be prepared to run the meeting with a flag ceremony, a training time, game time, and closing ceremony. The topic is up to them. They have to be ready when asked by the SPL to step up to the plate.

Once they have done their program, they immediately begin planning their next opportunity.

The SPL moves from patrol to patrol and assists them with their leadership when planning and when it's time to let the patrol know the following week they will be presenters. If the patrol leadership is having a difficult time being prepared, the SPL works with the two leaders to assist them in developing the expertise to do their jobs.

If there is a need to coordinate between patrols, the SPL steps in to assist this process. If an older boy patrol wishes to do some training that would provide advancement for the NBP, the SPL would coordinate/facilitate that inter-patrol cooperation.

If one is using their SPL to do all the work, no new blood will be developed, and your SPL will burn out rather quickly. Anyone watching this process would be a fool to step up and take the heat. Leadership is built from the bottom up. The SPL is responsible for the leadership development, not the running the troop.

Stosh