Suggestions on making a patrol effective?

Ive spent probably about 1 month now trying to organize patrols as a JASM and im having trouble because our troop is not big on patrol oriented which most of them want to be but there not sure how to get out of a bad habit. Mostly cause our troop got small for awhile but is now bigger with a lot of new scouts.

Here is a list of things I need help on.

1. I need some pointers on how to get a call tree effective to the point where everyone shows up wearing the right thing and doesnt go to the scout hut while we are at the YMCA pool.

2. I need help making the patrols more like a team. The new kid patrol is like a team, meaning everything is run like a patrol there because they havent found other things that interested them yet.

3. How can I make them understand scouting is VERY important? Is there any examples? I always bring out the military bonus but id like to know more.

Otherwise the troop is doing real well and always gets a good report on campouts and is always asked to come back to certain events some I do have them to be thankful for! I really do like my troop a lot as it is. I would also like to improve things though too.

Thank you for your time.

You sound like you've done a lot of thinking. Scouting can always use a lot of that. I'll respond to your item #3.

Boys, particularly younger boys, generally don't think about how Scouting is important, or how it may benefit them in the future. They are looking at the here and now. Years later they will see the bigger benefits. So, for now, while they are Scouts, stress rather how much FUN the next event will be, and that they will want to be there for the FUN and ADVENTURE they will have.

Now, deliver on that promise. The long term benefits will fall into place.

Have to agree with the wise words that FScouter said about thinking.

It might be worth remembering that the Troop didn't get to where it is overnight and what ever needs to be put right isn't going to happen overnight. This isn't a reason not to try, but a good reason not get frustrated and give up.

Going over the points:

1/ I don't have very many dark hairs left!! I have been playing this game for a good while, and I never ever got a call tree to work. Good communication is a true leadership skill. You might want to think about: Sending (Or having the Scribe send?) Everyone a text message. Nearly all of our Sea Scouts have cell phones and seem to check their phones more than their E-mail.

A Troop web page with dates posted helps. We have a Group page on Yahoo. It e-mails all messages and postings.

2/ This takes time!! The more stuff you do as Patrols, the sooner they see that they are Patrols. When a Scout asks you a question. Your first answer should always be "Have you asked your Patrol Leader?" Of course this only works if someone has taken the time to tell the Patrol Leader and the SPL what is going on in the first place!! If not it's just a waste of time.

3/ How important Scouts and Scouting is to an individual is his choice. Some Scouts live for Scouting while for others it's just another activity. Our role as leaders is to deliver the program to the best of our ability. We are only ever as good as our last meeting.

We need to look at what we are doing and do a very honest assessment of it all. Look at what worked and what didn't and then see what can be done to fix what didn't.

Lads join Scouts to have fun, participate in adventures and be challenged.

They dislike being preached at and talked to death. They dislike doing things that don't seem to have any point or meaning.

Look for ways to put the stuff you do in the Scout meeting to work. Don't just tie bandages go wild with chicken bones and ketchup. Don't just set a map, go on a hike.

You are now a new member of the imagineers club!!

Have fun, smile and laugh a lot with the Scouts.

Eamonn.

It sounds like your patrols haven't bonded too well. Perhaps it's because scouts were assigned to patrols. Or, perhaps your troop does everything as a troop and they don't see the importance of them. Either way, you need to fix it at its root.

If patrols were organized by adults, shake it up. Let the boys pick who they want to be in patrols with. Make it fun and exciting. Make them want to get in the patrol with their friends. We adults tend to try to balance patrols out (by numbers, ability, etc.). That makes it efficient for us, but not fun for the boys.

How to make an effective phone tree? The number one thing is for the adults and the troop leaders to not answer the phone the night before an activity. Or, if you do answer the phone, tell them to contact their patrol leader. It will take a while, but once you force communication down the PLs, the communications will flow better.

Troop webpages are also very helpful, as long as they are kept up to date.

I agree with the other posters regarding the question about the importance of scouting. They won't care about military perks or college scholarships (their parents might). They need to believe that scouting is FUN and that they'll miss something if they aren't there. This starts with a fun, exciting program.

Good luck!

Boys need a reason to be there (*the Scout meeting).

Look for these symptoms:

Little action with allot of screaming versus

Allot of action and screams of delight (*the # 1. intended symptom goal)

Boys need a reason to communicate (*the #1. intended symptom goal is reason enough)

Boys need a reason to dress appropriately (*closely connected to symptom goal #1.)

To figure out the target goals of Scouting which we agree that are important, they must experience many successful symptoms of goal #1.

This fun approach to Scouting includes such things as orderly openings and closings, dues, attendance checks, uniform inspections, etc. It also includes such things as boys planning and leading the meetings. There always needs to be a song or two, a game of some sort, patrol corners to plan and a demonstration with a related activity. I hold to the pre-meeting/joining in game as well. Advancement is important but secondary just add it in without too many noticing. I throw in a SMs minute to sum it all up because there will always be a learning opportunity or two to reflect on.

Start and Stop on time. Have a yearly calendar. Get plenty of committee support. Go camping or have an outdoor activity once per month. Go to summer camp. Recognize boys and adults for accomplishments. Have some traditions like a yearly Unit Dinner. Make sure that the SM learns to keep quiet.

The JASM can be one of the best influences in the unit. You are important. Don't underestimate the strength of your example. It will be part of what the Scouts remember that made Scouting important to them.

That should just about do it. fb

Yah, a Scout Salute to you as a fellow Eagle, '06! And a second salute as yeh join the ranks of volunteers who care a lot about passin' on the Scouting torch to our younger colleagues!

1. I'd encourage you to think about "communication" in a bigger way than phone trees. We're in the multimedia century, so be multimedia. Web, email, phone, meeting announcements, mailed newsletters. It doesn't have to be as obnoxious as the recent politicking, but there's a reason they annoyed us with the multimedia blitz, eh?

If yer just tryin' to perfect the phone tree, though, remember the Number Two adult scouting rule: specify the outcome, not the means. If your requirement is "every kid gets called" then cool. After the next phone tree, write down the % of kids successfully called for each patrol and post it prominently, and make a big deal about how cool the highest % patrol leader is. They'll figure it out pretty quick. In a couple of months, the public recognition (or embarrassment) will do your job for you.

2. You'll see from these forums that even adults have trouble with Patrol Method lots of times. Glad you're lookin' at it objectively; it takes some work to get better. The problem is sometimes that troops that rely too much on the Advancement Method undermine patrols and teamwork, because Advancement Method is all about the individual. Yah, if you want your patrols to become better teams, then there has to be a reason for them to be a team, eh? It's got to count, somehow.

So figure out how you're goin' to make it count. Competition can work wonders. Yeh don't need prizes, just Pride, and "winning" a competition is its own reward and motivator. There are other ways, though... a really strong patrol can get to do a harder/cooler route or activity on an outing, eh? Maybe you can even come up with a "Patrol Advancement" scheme.

3. You can't. Figurin' out the importance of Scouting is something each of us has to find for ourselves. Your example, by how you spend your time, speaks a lot louder than any silly adult speech about Eagle and college admissions or such nonsense. Live the Oath and Law. Work hard to keep makin' yourself Physically Stronger, Mentally Sharper, Morally more Courageous. Share Adventure and kindness with the kids.

Dat's what's really important about Scoutin', eh? :)

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Thanks for all the suggestions. As I can always use more ideas about how to bring my patrols together.

On number 1. Thanks for all your help about the phone tree and giving me alternative uses. The problem is the SPL doesnt check his email or can get on the phone enough. (Hes a homework pusher

I also think maybe I should teach the younger scouts about email and how useful it is and possibly set them up with emails which are no problem!

On number 2. The problem with the patrol leaders is in our troop that job is taken not seriously. Like I remember one time a scout told a younger kid that I think it was PL or APL did not count for stars leadership requirement. I was like "what? Yes it dose". Those werent my exact words but something along those lines. Our troop is more as a whole than individual patrols but I have to admit everyone is having fun and we rarely have problems but I would like to add more patrol value to the troop.

On number 3. Thos are great ideas you have given me I should also remind them of the eagle dinner. Has anyone else done the eagle dinner? I know my father (whos also and Eagle Scout) has done it and loved it!

Thanks for the suggestions feel free to reply back to what ive replied with.

Beavah I think our troop is DEFINTLY not in the advancement method there big into high adventure sometimes and i think that could hold up rank sometimes.

Hi Eaglescout,

It's great that you are working to strengthen the patrols and you've received good advice here. Just a word on setting up scouts with email - you may want to check in with their parents and let them know what you are doing and why (or have the scouts get a signed consent form from their parents), especially for your younger scouts. Some parents are very cautious about having their kids on the net and will want to know exactly what you are setting up. They probably are more worried than they need to be but it is better to be proactive about this rather than have to deal with angry parents after the fact.

• 1 month later...

We have used the Yahoo Group function to set up a free web page with forum capabilities for all our membership. It works out quite well. It has a calendar that sends out automatic e-mail reminders, each post sends out an e-mail, pictures, files, progress reports are all uploaded and everyone is on the same page. Works really neat.

Eaglescout06

I know what you're talking about - I was in a similar situation a few years ago. My troop is a very strong troop, but very weak with the patrol method. The SM staff and committee for the most part are a very good group of people, and really want the best for the troop. However, I felt (and still feel) that the patrol method wasn't being used very well, and the troop could improve if it placed greater emphasis on the patrols. The SM and other leaders and I had several lengthy conversations, and occasionally really aggravated each other. I'm not sure about the specific dynamics at work in your troop, but let me share some of my thoughts based on my experience.

1) Any change ain't gonna happen overnight. While sometimes messages on these forums suggest that creating a good troop is a "Plug-n-Play" operation (eg, just train the leaders, assign troop guides, get a good UC, wear the uniform and follow the G2SS and you'll be fine). In reality, its much more complicated than this. Both the adults and the youth really have to buy in to your idea, and running everything "by-the-book" won't make them believe that its a good idea. Positive change seems to take longer to come about than negative change, and sometimes its just best to be patient.

2) The SM may have other priorities, and sometimes it tough to recognize them while you're still a youth. The SM has to deal with the "problem scouts (and adults)," work with the district and council people, support the entire youth membership of the troop, their parents and community organizations, and hopefully have a few hours left for his job, and, most importantly, his family. Sometimes, the adult leadership just has too much on their plate to think about a drastic shift in how the troop is run. Remember: baby steps! While keeping your vision in mind, present small, attainable goals to your SM/PLC/Committee and listen to their feedback. You may have to put some ideas on the back burner, and come back to them later. Definitely, you don't want to end up with an us-vs.-them scenario.

3) Avoid statements like, "But BSA publication #12345 says to do it *this* way" or "at NYLT they told us we should be doing *this*". That's great, and probably is the right way to do it, but the adults need to see the benefit of going through the work of changing their program.

4) Most importantly - share your vision. Make sure you, the SM, PLC and Committee are all aiming for the same thing. This requires communication and patience. But, if the people running your troop can't agree on where it should go, it won't go anywhere! (Anywhere good, anyway). This could be the most important and difficult part, but has to be completed before you can start making specific goals and plans (if you've ever attended an NYLT, this should sound familiar).

Just some thoughts - This may not all apply to your situation, but this is what I've learned through trial and error (mostly error) in a similar situation. Good luck!

Eagle06- Im very impressed! Here you have earned your Eagle and are a JASM. Im guessing you are 15-17 and still trying to make improvements when most boys in your position would be thinking of the next gig. I always found the Patrol leaders handbook very helpful (the 80's version) for good organization ideas. Of course, getting anyone to follow those ideals is another matter. Good luck and I expect to hear more from you as you sound like youve got ambition and desire well above your peers!