FScouter,

I'd be interested in knowing what the success rate of 12, 13 and 14 year old scouts who are anywhere from 1st Class to Life is in recruiting their peers to join scouting? While not impossible, my experience is it is rare to non-existent.

I wonder what the new reguirement for First Class will do to recruiting? A scout is suppose to introduce Boy Scouting to a boy who is able to become a Boy Scout.

There is the "recruiter" patch, but this change in First Class doesn't say join, it says introduce.

Step one to recruiting (after identifying a prospect) is to introduce. It would be interesting to see how many boys that are introduced to Scouting through the new requirement end up joining.

I think that we sometimes look for the easiest solution to a problem rather that the best solution. If patrol numbers are down, troop membership is down. Juggling the mix doesnt add to troop membership. Breaking up a patrol means the troop lost a patrol. Thats not a good thing!

Maybe take a look at why boys left the troop and work on that angle.

Does anyone know if inviting a younger brother or friend, who has just finished Cub Scouts, would fulfill the new 1st class requirement? At present, we don't have any 2nd class or lower scouts with a 2nd year Webelos brother, but I could see the question coming up sometime. Ideally, they should be trying to recruit someone not currently in any type of scouting, but does the requirement say this specifically? Of course, the timing would have to be such that the Cub has just finished his last Pack Meeting, but not yet joined a troop.