Inter Troop Competitions

I have spoken about this with several of our scouts and they like the idea of having scouting skills competitions at district camporee's vs. the standard merit badge items we do. example archery, axe throwing, knots,... etc and having that used to comprise the total scores vs the normal method... has anyone else had conversations of this type?

Competitions are often a highlight of scouting. I still remember several camporees or other events where we had great competitions against other "rival" troops. Guys love to go to school Monday morning and stick their chest out and brag about how they beat the other guys. Healthy competition is good, fun and promotes the learning of important skills.

....my thought had been to set it up and run it like a high school track and field event, with point values assigned. Using a spreadsheet it shouldn't be that difficult to figure scoring as each scout would have a number assigned to them and they could register for the "events" they wanted to compete in... score sheets at the events with the numbers preprinted should make it easier to log..

it would also emphasis a different type of "Scout Spirit"

ssullivan

While individual competitions can be fun (and I have on issue with having some at a camporeet), I would much rather see the time used to leverage the patrol system and have patrols compete against each other.

At our troop campout next week we are planning a scout skills competition for Saturday. We are thinking of having a number of stations set up for the patrols. First Aid, Fire building, Nature Identification, Knots, Orienteering, etc.

Some type of scoring system and a prize for the winning patrol. Any suggestions on activities?

Check out www.boyscouttrail.com

Look under both games and activites

Most of the ideas (and there are 100's) here could easily be used for intertroop competitions.

Also do a google search for "night camporee".

There a a couple of web sites out there that have the activites that were done at these and some of these could easily be done during the day also.